Infection because of carboy crap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
I had beer fermening in a glass carboy and the beer had made a filth/krauzen line after fermentation (like a ring at the top, inside) and it was impossible for me to clean it 100% but got most of it. I had chlorine in it for an hour and washed it as much as i could.

Then i pitched a new batch in it. Just wondering if it will infect my beer?

Did you sanitize it before filling? It is not good to have any residue from previous batches. It may "infect" it but not in the way you are thinking. It would just be more brewers yeast that would work in tandem with the new yeast your pitched.

In the future, use PBW or oxyclean free to remove gunk in carboys. Works like a charm> I wouldnt want ot use chlorine on anything that touches my beer

This works wonders:

carboy-brush_1_1_.jpg

Yeah. You'll definitely need a carboy brush to clean that ring around the collar krausen residue off. Fermenters must be cleaned, rinsed & sanitized inside before adding fresh wort.
Then there's the carboy brush pictured above, or this style that chucks in a drill to make the job quicker & easier; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carboy-cleaner.html And use oxyclean free or PBW mixed with water to clean your equipement with.

A hot oxyclean soak works great. A couple of gallons and swish it around usually gets everything off in a couple of minutes. A second soak filled this time with more oxiclean overnight if needed prior to a water rinse and clean storage.

I never use a brush on my carboys anymore. I favor the lazy and patient approach.

Usually it comes off easily. This time i was bottling and brewing at the same time. So after bottling i had to use that carboy for the new batch and i was running out of time cause i had to transfer to carboy. And it just wouldnt come off. So i took a chance lol. But it was sanitized and cleaned. Hope its not ruined!!

Usually it comes off easily. This time i was bottling and brewing at the same time. So after bottling i had to use that carboy for the new batch and i was running out of time cause i had to transfer to carboy. And it just wouldnt come off. So i took a chance lol. But it was sanitized and cleaned. Hope its not ruined!!

As long as you got any chlorine bleach residue/flavor/aroma out of it I wouldn't be too worried.

Brewing and bottling on the same day. Phew! hard work.

As long as you got any chlorine bleach residue/flavor/aroma out of it I wouldn't be too worried.

Brewing and bottling on the same day. Phew! hard work.

Haha yeah. First and last time I'll do that.

And im pretty sure i got all bleach out. Washed it really well.

What do you think about these white spots ? Normal ?

Now im getting paranoid about infection 😁

image.jpg

What do you think about these white spots ? Normal ?

Now im getting paranoid about infection 😁

no idea. Not sure what white bits you mean.

It certainly looks strange. I've not experienced a green krausen. Perhaps a lot of hop debris in the FV is causing that. It sure does look pretty messy. Messier than I had anticipated based on your description.

Probably still be fine. Nothing to do about in now. See what happens and learn from it.

no idea. Not sure what white bits you mean.

It certainly looks strange. I've not experienced a green krausen. Perhaps a lot of hop debris in the FV is causing that. It sure does look pretty messy. Messier than I had anticipated based on your description.

Probably still be fine. Nothing to do about in now. See what happens and learn from it.

If you're talking about the mess splattered on the glass thats just from when i poured that batch very roughly to get some air into the beer, not the one that was stuck from the batch before.

And i think its green because of the hops. Its a really hoppy IPA. A recipe I created ��

But those white spots make me nervous!

Yeah. You'll definitely need a carboy brush to clean that ring around the collar krausen residue off. Fermenters must be cleaned, rinsed & sanitized inside before adding fresh wort.

Then there's the carboy brush pictured above, or this style that chucks in a drill to make the job quicker & easier; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carboy-cleaner.html And use oxyclean free or PBW mixed with water to clean your equipement with.

That's exactly what I use. Works great.

If you're talking about the mess splattered on the glass thats just from when i poured that batch very roughly to get some air into the beer, not the one that was stuck from the batch before.

And i think its green because of the hops. Its a really hoppy IPA. A recipe I created ��

But those white spots make me nervous!

Looks good. No worries.

Most of the time krausen is whitish and brownish. This time it is super green cause of the hops. The white is just yeast krausen that isn't full of hop debris. Put it away and stop looking at it for a couple weeks.

Most of the time krausen is whitish and brownish. This time it is super green cause of the hops. The white is just yeast krausen that isn't full of hop debris. Put it away and stop looking at it for a couple weeks.

Haha okay I will. Thank you!

Back