infected starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUSkier

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing today. I noticed these bulb like things coming up from within the yeast layer. There doesn't seem to be any sour or off smells in the starter, but I'm not looking to ruin my iipa today either. :)

After they hang at the top for a minute they fall back down and by then a few more have risen. Does this look familiar to anyone?

ForumRunner_20120331_113458.jpg

I have never seen a starter to that, but I have seen yeast to some pretty strange things in terms of clumping and settling. It looks fine to me. I'd use it.

taste it, i always pour a little in a glass before I pitch, and give it a taste.... I also always have a pack of dry yeast in the fridge, just in case i'm not sure.

That's a good point about tasting it. It turned out to be fine. What I did figure out is this was caused by the coagulation properties of WLP007. When a little CO2 bubble forms on the bottom, a little layer of yeast goes riding up with it. Kind of crazy when you watch it actually.

Latest posts

Back