Infected Cider. Sour... But good... A few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
I just finished bottling a apple cider that was a happy accident. It is definitely infected but came out tasting like a good sour beer!

I didn't even know it was infected in the fermenter. There was no film or obvious signs.

Unfortunately for me I didn't taste it before racking it to my bottling bucket. So here are my questions:

Is it safe to drink? It is sour.... But still drinkable! I like sours. Just making sure!

I know bugs are a little tough to get rid of. What do I do to my equipment to ensure the big is gone. Bleach?

What SHOULD I replace? Should I replace my Better Bottle, siphon, bottling bucket and accessories, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Are you 100% sure it's infected and not that it fermented completely dry and is just tart as hell?

butterpants said:
Are you 100% sure it's infected and not that it fermented completely dry and is just tart as hell?

Honestly, I wouldn't know! This is my first cider. It tastes like sour beers I have had... That's why I feel like it was infected.

Honestly, I wouldn't know! This is my first cider. It tastes like sour beers I have had... That's why I feel like it was infected.

No, if it was infected it would have had a pellicle, or a ropy texture.

Dry cider is high in malic acid and does taste a lot like a lacto beer in many ways.

Yooper said:
No, if it was infected it would have had a pellicle, or a ropy texture. Dry cider is high in malic acid and does taste a lot like a lacto beer in many ways.

Well if that is the case I'm pretty upset because I asked my LHBS to recommend a yeast that wouldn't do that. I wanted a sweeter cider!

Well if that is the case I'm pretty upset because I asked my LHBS to recommend a yeast that wouldn't do that. I wanted a sweeter cider!

Any yeast will take a cider dry- that's just the nature of the beast.

Have you taken any hydrometer readings? That will tell you for sure.

If you want a sweet cider, you can stabilize with sorbate and campden, and sweeten. If you want a sweet carbonated cider, you can sweeten and do some pasteurization (see the sticky thread on that). If you want a dry carbonated cider, you can add priming sugar to this batch just as you would beer.

Yooper said:
Any yeast will take a cider dry- that's just the nature of the beast. Have you taken any hydrometer readings? That will tell you for sure. If you want a sweet cider, you can stabilize with sorbate and campden, and sweeten. If you want a sweet carbonated cider, you can sweeten and do some pasteurization (see the sticky thread on that). If you want a dry carbonated cider, you can add priming sugar to this batch just as you would beer.

Long story short. Maybe I needed to do a little more research before making this!

In hoping this is the case and I don't have infected cider!

Latest posts

Back