Infected Brews, Need Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarboyT1985

Reaction score
I read that there are two types of brewers; ones that have had an infection and those that will get an infection.

After 6 years of brewing I just got hit hard. 4 small batches all got pellicles after I racked to secondary.

I researched and it said to throw out anything plastic, tubing, fermenters, etc.

Is that the truth? Would I be better off getting stainless fermenters?

Obviously, I’m going to be paranoid and clean much more diligently and excessively but I don’t want this to happen again. If it does, i don’t want to toss out stuff and waste money.

Any help/tips are appreciated!

Personally I don't rack to secondary, I used to - during initial phase of my homebrewing but realised that reward isn't worth the hassle & the risk. I do use plastic fermenters - bucket, fermzilla and Chinese SS fermenter as well, no infections. I think for you, it was just a bad day, nothing more.

Thanks for input! Does anyone know if stainless steel is a sure fire way to prevent it? Or if there is a way to get rid of it on plastic?

Btw, I only rack to secondary for the New England Style IPA's. I dry hop the crap out of them and whenever I would go to keg it, I would end up clogging the poppet with hops. Whenever that would happen, i would rack it to another keg and get rid of the sediment. Even with a dip tube screen, it would still clog. Now you have me thinking that i should just buy a new dip tube and saw off a portion so that it doesn't suck up the hop sediment. Either that or fashion a new full length dip tube.

So if I’m dumping the hops straight from the bag I bought it in without sanitizing could cause the contamination? I never had any problems before. I was thinking of getting a mesh stainless tube to dry hop with, I guess I could sanitize the tube, add the hops and dump em in. Does that sound right?

To reinforce some things already mentioned...
all got pellicles after I racked to secondary.
Secondary vessels are a not a good idea. They increase oxygen exposure and risk of contamination.
I researched and it said to throw out anything plastic, tubing, fermenters, etc.
That's not necessary. A proper cleaning should be all that's needed.
Would I be better off getting stainless fermenters?
No, stainless vessels do not prevent contamination.
i don’t want to toss out stuff and waste money.
What did you do with the contaminated beer?
if I’m dumping the hops straight from the bag I bought it in without sanitizing could cause the contamination?
That's pretty unlikely. Commercial pellet hops are generally sanitary, based on huge amounts of anecdotal evidence.

There are certainly lots of home brewers who dry hop in primary and transfer directly to a keg.

The deed was done on the plastics, they are tossed, everywhere else I read so to throw it away. I bottled up a few but can see pellicles within the bottles.

Latest posts

Back