Infected Beer or other

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sccoter33

Reaction score
I noted for the last two batches of beer some matter floating at the top of my bottled beer (see photo). It appeared 2-3 weeks after bottling. It is in two batches - these batches have 2 things in common. 1 is that I used fizz drops instead of mixed in priming sugar and 2 - I re-used sanitizer after reading I didn't need to discard each time. Sanitizer was stored in plastic, semi-opaque milk jug and is clear. The matter is fragile - if I move a bottle from my basement to the fridge it breaks up and after 2-4 days in the cold it dissipates. Beer tastes "ok". Any ideas on what this is and should I drink the beer?
I used a flashlight to show the matter as the bottles are dark glass. It appears to be white/brown in sunlight.

As a brew another batch, I see small white areas on the side of the glass carboy that look like mold. Can I bottle this beer?

If this all is an infection, do I use bleach to clean all the materials? I've heard that I should not use bleach as it negatively impacts flavors. Of note, my fermentors are glass carboys.

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• 20180328_132647.jpg
    20180328_132647.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 113
If it tastes good, drink it. There is nothing that can grow in fermented (alcohol present) beer that will hurt you. More than likely it is just break material that rose to the top of the bottle during carbonation (most of it settles at the bottom).

As for your currently fermenting batch, please post a pic. Mold is unlikely, it is probably just congealed foam or yeast rafts.

Bleach is fine to use as a cleaner, you just have to make sure you rinse it ALL out completely before using your equipment.

So I get these as well when I use cheap carbonation drops (wilko in the UK) but when I asked about it muntons also do this iirc

"As for your currently fermenting batch, please post a pic. Mold is unlikely, it is probably just congealed foam or yeast rafts."

Thanks for the info - This is my 3rd and 4th batches so I'm still working out the bugs (pun intended). Here is a picture of what I'm seeing in the fermentor. The fermentation was not very vigorous to what I've seen in the past and I didn't get any bubbles or foam this high. You all have been a fantastic resource!

If it tastes good, drink it. There is nothing that can grow in fermented (alcohol present) beer that will hurt you. More than likely it is just break material that rose to the top of the bottle during carbonation (most of it settles at the bottom).

As for your currently fermenting batch, please post a pic. Mold is unlikely, it is probably just congealed foam or yeast rafts.

Bleach is fine to use as a cleaner, you just have to make sure you rinse it ALL out completely before using your equipment.

Attachments

• 20180410_100715.jpg
    20180410_100715.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
That to me just looks like remnants from when you added the yeast. They may be growing a bit there but it doesn't look like mold or anything to worry about. RDWHAHB!!!!

Latest posts

Back