Inexpensive false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Looking to get an inexpensive false bottom so I can begin all grain (Biab) brewing.
I am trying to avoid spending $50 to $100 I have seen on other brew sites.
I came across a SS steamer rack
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Round-Sta...wl10=111838760&wl11=online&wl12=47598469&wl13

My kettle is 13" dia, the tray is 8", so I am not sure if that will cause an issue?
Are there not enough holes to let water through?

Any thoughts?
Any idea where I could find an inexpensive false bottom?

Sent from my iPhone

Can you measure and cut CPVC pipe? Spend 10-15 bucks and make one yourself! Really simple to make and with BIAB you won't be relying on it to filter either.

Can you measure and cut CPVC pipe? Spend 10-15 bucks and make one yourself! Really simple to make and with BIAB you won't be relying on it to filter either.

If Home Depot has it than maybe.
Can you point me to some directions

What are you looking to accomplish with the false bottom? I don't brew BIAB, but think the bag is your false bottom. Are you using an electrical element that you want to keep the bag off of?

What are you looking to accomplish with the false bottom? I don't brew BIAB, but think the bag is your false bottom. Are you using an electrical element that you want to keep the bag off of?

I heat on my stove top, using a SS kettle.
My last, and only Biab, I melted the bag on the bottom of the pot.
To maintain proper temp I have to keep the burner on low.
I guess I can try to turn the heat off during Mashing, but would not be able to maintain heat!

Then a cheap steamer rack should do it. I wouldn't use pvc, since it would likely melt as well. How big is your pot? If it's small enough to fit in the oven, I used to Preheat the oven to 170, turn the oven off, then put my mash in there to maintain the heat.

Hey Bobby, I was just looking at your site for new stuff and noticed these false bottoms for BIABers. If I have a keggle, which size would I need?

I forgot that people still use keggles for BIAB so I haven't done any testing in that application. The obvious size to me is the 14.75" one but doesn't fold so it may be hard to get in through the top unless you've cut the whole top off. The other issue I see is that we put the four perimeter legs right on the outside rim so they would land on the curved bottom and probably collapse. For further thinking... is this an electric keggle?

I used an upside down steamer rack last time and worked fine. On vacation so don't know the dimensions. It was part of a steamer/stockpot i got a few years ago for maybe $40 or so... Sure there's some cheap ones on the web. Would be better if I cut the handles off but I use it frequently as a steamer basket.

I heat on my stove top, using a SS kettle.
My last, and only Biab, I melted the bag on the bottom of the pot.
To maintain proper temp I have to keep the burner on low.
I guess I can try to turn the heat off during Mashing, but would not be able to maintain heat!

Have you checked how long it takes for conversion? You may be trying to maintain the mash temp far longer than necessary.

With the very fine milling that I do for BIAB, conversion is complete in less than 10 minutes (YMMV, test it) so I don't care if the temperature drops 3 degrees in an hour and never add heat. BIAB isn't the same as conventional mashing and may not need nearly as long to get full conversion.

Have you checked how long it takes for conversion? You may be trying to maintain the mash temp far longer than necessary.

With the very fine milling that I do for BIAB, conversion is complete in less than 10 minutes (YMMV, test it) so I don't care if the temperature drops 3 degrees in an hour and never add heat. BIAB isn't the same as conventional mashing and may not need nearly as long to get full conversion.

I actually never checked until after I was done with an hour long mash.
With BiAB I double mill my grain. So it may convert faster.
Do you pull a sample and cool to check? Or just drop a hydrometer in the hot must and than covert readings?

I actually never checked until after I was done with an hour long mash.
With BiAB I double mill my grain. So it may convert faster.
Do you pull a sample and cool to check? Or just drop a hydrometer in the hot must and than covert readings?

i grab a sample of the wort with some of the grain particles in it and use iodine. If the grain particles stay the same color, there is no starch left to convert.

Caution: Don't take this too far with shortening your brew day. While the conversion may be done in less than 10 minutes, it takes at least 20 to extract flavors. I've made a batch of mostly flavorless beer once. Now I give my batches at least 30 minutes.

i grab a sample of the wort with some of the grain particles in it and use iodine. If the grain particles stay the same color, there is no starch left to convert.

Caution: Don't take this too far with shortening your brew day. While the conversion may be done in less than 10 minutes, it takes at least 20 to extract flavors. I've made a batch of mostly flavorless beer once. Now I give my batches at least 30 minutes.

My forehead is flattening as we speak...

You need GRAIN PARTICLES to check for color change? I've never been able to check for conversion with iodine because I only get the liquid. Damn. I'll have to try again.

I thought, pretty specifically, that you didn't want the test sample to have grain particles? I've read in multiple sources that you can get a false positive that way.

I forgot that people still use keggles for BIAB so I haven't done any testing in that application. The obvious size to me is the 14.75" one but doesn't fold so it may be hard to get in through the top unless you've cut the whole top off. The other issue I see is that we put the four perimeter legs right on the outside rim so they would land on the curved bottom and probably collapse. For further thinking... is this an electric keggle?

you should make adjustable ones, ala long threadded tubes and long bolts to adjust from like 3" - 6"

I thought, pretty specifically, that you didn't want the test sample to have grain particles? I've read in multiple sources that you can get a false positive that way.

You can't get a false positive. If there is still starch in the grain, you get a reaction from the iodine. You may not be able to get full conversion unless the grain is milled fine and that still can be OK. If there is no color change there is no starch left to convert.

Back