Inconsistent beers with bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas kennedy

RoamingNomad
Reaction score
I scanned the forums and couldn't find a similar post.. if i'm mistaken please forgive me. I've been brewing for a little over a year and just recently switched to all grain. I'm also slowly buying what i need to start kegging. Here's my question...
Is it common to have the same batch of beer taste different from bottle to bottle? With extract i noticed it however the taste of the extract seemed to over power my beers but now that i'm doing some SMASH recipes and brewing on the ones i'm really seeing some inconsistencies from bottle to bottle. Sometimes it's more hop heavy on the nose, sometimes more bitter/less etc. The color differs as well. I can understand the basic chemistry of hop oils and sediment, etc.. but i figured bottling out of a siphoned batch would give a change to mix?

info on bottling process: I bottle with a bucket that i auto siphon into from a cold crashed carboy. Very little to no sediment in the bottles. This particular batch i used p002 for yeast and i cap with a handcapper.
I also clean everything with pbw first and then sanitize prior to bottling.

Any help is appreciated!

Yes, it does happen when I bottle I mix the bucket by rocking it back and forth, it gives you more consistent sediment mix. What I mean by this is when you are close to the bottom of the bottling bucket you get more settlement such as yeast and trub which could impart different flavors bottle to bottle, I have also found this to cause overcarbing, undercarbing, and just slow carbonation overall. At least this way the sediment is more even causing more even flavors in my experience.

I've bottled about 3500 bottles since 1999, and I've never ever had a problem with consistency.

Are you priming in bulk, or individual bottles?

If individually, this can obviously mess up consistency, as priming can vary from bottle to bottle.

If priming in bulk, are you preboiling the bottling sugar, then making sure to blend the preboiled priming solution into the beer? If not, same as above. If you are blending well, then... I have to wonder if it's just your imagination.

Otherwise I might need to look over your shoulder to see what's going on. It's difficult to see what's going on over these interwebs.

I'm priming in bulk, just adding the priming sugar to the bucket in the beginning and allowing the the siphoned beer to blend with the sugar as the beer comes down the tube.
The issue hasn't been carbonation inconsistency, more so the level of hop character and color differ from bottle to bottle. (this could for sure be in my head) but since im brewing up ipas i'm looking to see how much character certain hops give with dry hopping. I appreciate everyone's input!

Number the first 10 bottles and the last 10 bottles the next time. This will help identify if it is a poor mix of the priming sugar or oxidation issue that is affecting the taste.

How many bottles do you fill before capping. Having 15 bottles filled before capping could introduce issues with oxidation.
May not be definitive but would help to start narrowing down the problem.

Could it be a matter of you drinking a beer that's still a little green versus one that's conditioned a bit longer? Or are you noticing a difference drinking 2 beers from the same batch in one sitting?

@Zimm9 and @flars I like the idea of numbering them, I will for sure do that! I have a bottling partner (my girlfriend) and we usually do an assembly line so at most only 4 bottles get filled before capping.

It could very well be a case of the beer not being conditioned enough, however ever i've run into this issue before from 2 weeks-2 months post bottle. Of course oxidation always sets it eventually. I'd just like to be able to bottle a beer for a friend and have them drink what the beer is suppose to taste like haha. Thanks again for all of your comments! I'll start by tracing my steps with the bottling process and maybe labeling them.

Back