Inadequate FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeutronBoy

Reaction score
OK, let's get it out of the way - Why did I do it? I don't know. So let's hear some solutions for this:

Problem: I brewed a Stout that did not quite reach it's FG (pretty far off as a matter of fact). I put it in a keg thinking, maybe it will be OK anyway and just be low in alcohol. Well I was wrong, it doesn't taste right without that alcohol.

What Happened?: I am guessing low ferment temps (mid to low 60's), some older yeast, and older LME. I let the kit (I have another one too) sit around a bit (1 yr +). I had just started an Advanced EMT class thinking I would find the time to brew it up and relax, but I was soooo wrong. No time for anything - that class literally mixed up my life because of the heavy demands on my time.

Possible Solution: Move it out of the keg that it has been in for over a month or so, mix up another yeast culture and see if I can get it to referment. Maybe toss in some extra DME.

Crazy stupid or what? I am figuring that it is worth a try - all I have to lose is the cost of yeast.

So did the kit come with a packet of dry yeast or some liquid yeast?

My guess is that underpitching was the issue that led to your underattenuation. Pitching another packet of yeast probably isn't going to do the trick. I'm sure there were more yeast in the fermentor than you would pitch. One solution I've heard here on HBT is to brew up an entirely different batch of beer, let it finish, transfer it out of the fermentor and dump your underattenuated beer on the fresh yeast cake.

In the future if you have old yeast it's a really good idea to either make a starter or buy new yeast. If it was dry yeast buying a new packet, or two, would be my choice. But with year old liquid yeast you probably would need to make a multi-stage starter to get enough yeast to use in a full batch.

I make a starter for every batch every time. Pitching enough yeast is one of the most critical steps to making good beer.

thanks,

it was a dry yeast packet. Will give some of your suggestions a try. I am investing in a stir plate setup as we speak!

Back