in progress first ag tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyseany

Reaction score
I'm doing a "Munich helles"

I ended up with 7 gallons of wort after batch sparging...

@ 70 degrees my sample is saying it's 1.030 on the nose. My OG on the instructions say 1.053

8.5lbs german pilsner malt
.75 lbs german munich malt
2oz melanoidin malt

it say my batch 5 gallons but my calculations say to stop boiling at 6.8 gallons to reach 1.053... Is this right?

also it's assuming 70% efficiancy...

thanks for any help!

sean

it calls for a 90 minute boil with the hop addition at 60 minutes

the directions were fly sparging with a beginning of 6.5 gallons.

I think I got my hot break already... Foamed up... Stirred it down (didnt have time to add my fermcap) and now it's rolling boil with no foam at all...

should I add my hops now and start my 60 minutes?

The entire boil need to be at least 90 minutes, uncovered. More if your volumes are to high.
Add the bittering hops when you have 60 minutes left in the boil.

Bull

it calls for a 90 minute boil with the hop addition at 60 minutes

the directions were fly sparging with a beginning of 6.5 gallons.

I think I got my hot break already... Foamed up... Stirred it down (didnt have time to add my fermcap) and now it's rolling boil with no foam at all...

should I add my hops now and start my 60 minutes?

There is no reason to boil wort without hops in it, unless you're trying to increase OG.

^ That is unless your using Pilsen Malt and driving off the precursors to DMS!

Boil for at LEAST 90 minutes.

Bull

I meant what does DMS stand for?

I thought it was

(7gallon X 1.030) divided by 1.053 = 6.85 gallons... Is that right or am I doing it wrong?

thanks again for the help Bull!

I meant what does DMS stand for?

I thought it was

(7gallon X 1.030) divided by 1.053 = 6.85 gallons... Is that right or am I doing it wrong?

thanks again for the help Bull!

Yeah, that's not the right math.

7*0.030 = 0.21
0.21/.053 = 4 gallons.

Dimethyl sulfide

Sorry, brain fart.

As far as the calulations go, the preboil gravity minus 1, times the volume, equals the post boil gravity minus 1, times the volume.
In your case....

30 x 7 = OG x 5
210 = OG x 5
210/5 = 42
OG = 42

Got it?

Bull

oh... And oh...lol

so I guess my efficiancies wasn't as good as I thought!?

shoukd I boil it down to 4 gallons then? Also the kit came with nottingham dry yeast... So I think it's not really true to it's form... (lager?)

thanks again for the help! And the links... Although on that link there's alot of letters!

I thought it was

BTW, the reason this math doesn't work...

It would work if you were taking the wort and compressing it, but of course you're not. Instead you're removing a portion of the wort (water) which has a gravity which is really quite close to the overall gravity of the wort. Therefore you have to remove a lot to make a big change.

Think of it in terms of separating the wort into two different volumes, one of which is more concentrated wort, one of which is water.

Mass is conserved, and therefore:
Initial Volume * Initial gravity = Ending volume * Ending gravity + Water volume * Water gravity

You started with 7 gallons at 1.03. You are trying to figure out x, which is the ending volume needed to get an ending gravity of 1.053. The water you boil out will be (7-x) and the gravity of water is 1.

So 7*1.030 = x*1.053 + (7-x)*1, which rearranges to:
7*(1.030-1) = x*(1.053-1), or
7*.030 = x*0.053

Or just remember that to do the calcs, just drop the one from all the gravities. :D

I should of reread my notes on the calculations.. I think I just wanted to get great eff. On my first batch!

oh... And oh...lol

shoukd I boil it down to 4 gallons then? Also the kit came with nottingham dry yeast... So I think it's not really true to it's form... (lager?)

thanks again for the help! And the links... Although on that link there's alot of letters!

BTW, are you sure your wort was well mixed when you took the gravity sample? if you just poured the sparge water in on top of the first runnings and then took a sample, you might be reading a lower gravity than you really have. I always catch a sample after a minuter or two of boiling to make sure its representative.

oh... And oh...lol

That is up to you, you'll either have 5 gallons of weaker beer, or 4 gallons of what you planned for.....

Correct Notty is an ale yeast, but you can ferment it colder (around 60 degrees) and it will be cleaner and a little more true to style.

Cheers from Ohio! :mug:

The Nottinghan is a pretty clean, forgiving yeast, but it's not a Lager yeast.
Ferment as cool as you can and I;m sure it'll be fine.

Bull

yeah I've never had a "munich helles" but asked for something that was light and not to hoppy so the wife coukd enjoy our first batch with me... She's more of a BMC kinda girl...lol

all kinds of Ohio help tonight!

well it got down to 1.042....

I got a TON of sediment in my carboy... I'm a little upset that it didn't work out as smooth as planned... Also it took me for ever! Lol

but it was the first time using my immersion chiller! All I can say is it beats the heck out of ice baths!

Sounds like you had quite a learning experience.
It'll get easier as you go.
I'm sure the beer will turn out great.

Keep Brewing!

Bull

how do I get less traub? I'm using a cooler with SS braided lines...

I vorlaufed probably a gallon each time....

Back