In-Line Oxygenation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers :),

This is my first post as a new member so I apologize if this is a repetitive post or if it is in the wrong section (I couldn’t find the question I’m looking to answer anywhere else on the forum).

So basically I’m looking to take my brewing to the next level and two things I’m shooting for are using yeast starters and implementing oxygenation/or aeration (preferably oxygenation) to improve yeast health and better my fermentation. Shaking the heck out of the carboy isn’t cutting it for me anymore lol. I’d really like to use an in-line oxygenator when racking my wort from the boil kettle to primary but have an immersion chiller and just rack with an autosiohon (no pump or plate/counterflow chiller). I’m wondering if there’s a way to inject oxygen into the auto-siphon line or if I would need a whole new pump driven transfer/chiller setup. I can’t find any information anywhere on doing this or if it’s possible, any ideas?

Thanks, Jacob

I think (never done it) that if you put an oxygen stone anywhere in the siphon, it will probably break the siphon.
Why not just transfer and then oxygenate the wort in the fermentor for the prescribed time (I do about two minutes)?

Why not just transfer and then oxygenate the wort in the fermentor for the prescribed time (I do about two minutes)?
That! ^
So much easier and predictable.

Most of us use a 'wand' to put the (0.5 micron) oxygenation stone on the end of. I use a spare keg diptube. I've seen complete assemblies, hollow wand (stainless tube) with a stainless stone on the end for under $30.
Instead of a hollow wand, you could use regular vinyl tubing and a stick of some sort to hold it down on the bottom, such as a long plastic brew spoon.

Recommended dosage is a rate of 1 liter/minute for 1 minute. That should get you around 12 ppm of DO in a 5 gallon batch in a carboy or bucket. Move it about slowly on the bottom of your ferm vessel for better dispersion.

I use 3-4 minutes at 1/4 liter/minute depending on gravity. At that lower rate I get much less rippling on the surface, which means more oxygen should get dissolved. A loose sanitized lid covers the open bucket.

EDB004F9-7039-4B5D-B110-23BC196BAF9A.png
I found two things my favorite is this but I can’t figure out how or where to order it

https://www.google.com/search?q=foo...BAgBEBw&biw=1024&bih=729#imgrc=4pwS3HApMCOxSM

jdB2rM2jWoXx-O1A7Z6HdIRbJONQQPqJqI0Fjmnl8E6KNn7W7KpDm2hz6CXMdhWWJFWb5J037151ANPXYK3arrhg3oMHnZYLflMkzrPIUZNI3jr7mqVNxczPC4c276q-wSg0ofowPa0vk6_GOeb49f3xV3zrgBPc3L10jyjmJYbE5nqntEcaLlxQS_9nFHUCoOijQhTNgNy94WSD33uVAoL9KiILNXTzCOGpKRwG7l5eF4r0cpjcix5wrAL6gHnFsYy2e6VNPD9Nfir-mu6s7eiuRIGdll755BIVRUxdX9GKErF0ey0uVySKZKf72vBNDdJbNfOvfcfoyHRmEvPLVWS6wJsloKNfLZ8EX7rEpvAZOmQYBM36B9iW94DlCBas4tYNydaiP9QCNAsrjc4j7P5j17OzCg=s0-d-e1-ft

hjlHmfMKMNk1SImHgOPARgZvcmxKP-85LSlpo6vqUpz1Alk0j7hn4xd_PVSkUme5QQYgcuK3tsFtaWmrWLlA02NFxnh_oZp_ADqJy8CBgUR3wqhWNEunLbGaCquwbsXH9yboVGrim-l3HQ=s0-d-e1-ft

In response to your question about A2Z Ozone Venturi Injector,...
The manufacturer answered your question,
"This looks like it would be absolutely brilliant at aerating wort from boil kettle to fermentor. is kynar food grade?"
Dzenita B. answered:
"It is a chemical resistant material and it is been used for injecting ozone into the water line."

Thank the manufacturer

Comment on this answer | See all answers

To stop receiving answers on this question, click here.

© 2019 Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Amazon, Amazon.com, Prime, 1-Click, the smile logo and all other related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com, 410 Terry Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109-5210.

This message was sent to the following e-mail address: [email protected]

vl974wOdkiJSzPe4GOagHTM3fsbRP6DqMqpmrgH_FI_nWz-Q-GL2Wtks582DTRuWQyM_p1vT7VdcqWvVCozhe7O_mjigo4ENxzVgQP7Y3iskMAQT42tMxVFHuRp0htdZP_ZUkXkY8Y1BdDz9iZwFOzIKk3K-WoZTnjOHRS5aCZVhReaANZX0XpHokOdCa6m_G9vEmCvJYSjvkGSjWs-me5hWxjCDtDEPq2ZJmMDOkZUWlc3bDplk3NqHXNKWveshIoju3pXh4ahH9yi2ntaYpfJ83IlLvCTNqvUwF5RhLzep4D4ZiUmnDMzYhJ7VvzFaWgpZimajIXpuikZaH5AhzFYUF-ByMzVwJCt-dcNWUs-P-Lhm_0b1pTMUYp0Fr7q2uXBFawAYd2ZBLK-P855yZV4l7Ns=s0-d-e1-ft

I used to use these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homebrew-B...406331?hash=item2f2d981c3b:g:KEUAAOSwbfRcj0Ty

At the brewery We found we've had no reason to use oxygen between the whirlpool and pumping into the top of each conical.. I have had beers finish at 1.002 in 3 days the yeast has no problems.. at home I needed it but I believe that was in part to much less yeast on that scale since when we were out of oxygen and had a large starter everything always finished on point.

Back