In Line For Pliny the Younger!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to further derail this thread, but it's kinda got me riled up...

I just find it hard not to chime in on this topic because I feel like the pretentious, elitist B.S. has surrounded the so called "craft beer" industry these days. Proverbial "'chasing the dragon"...and the dealers are the only ones who stand to benefit...

Through the many other gaping holes in your theory, the one about cheesy advertising shone brightest. I mean really, how big was the RR advertising budget in 2014? I honestly don't know, but I live in California and frequent the Bay Area and have yet to see a RR advertisement, much less one touting PTY.

That said, your entirely baseless accusation that the 'dealers' are the only ones to benefit from people lining up to take part in what might be considered a true paradigm shift in American culture is a discredit not only to you, but to everyone on HBT who supports the Craft Brew industry.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/3478726-181/pliny-release-brings-economic-windfall

You stay home in your dark hollow, support only yourself, take no heed of the other small businesses surrounding your local brewery.

I'm sure the Shock Top flows freely in your neck of the desert. Right between the Starbucks and the Subway.

Ok, so Sonoma County is not the epitome of destitute, but how dare you promote the feeling that supporting local, honest businesses is anything less than heroic?

Cause that's what you just did.

Last edited:
I've scoured the internet, phoned friends and stopped at every beer store along my way to find a beer, but floc standing in line like that.

You guys are a bunch of sissies. On the day after Thanksgiving my beer nerd friends stand in line for two hours for Bourbon County Stout in WAY COLDER TEMPS than freaking Vacaville, CA can dish out in mid February.

What is Pliny? Does it compare to Bud Light in its ability to refresh a man who's waited in a long line hoping for a fine handmade lager to drink?

Sounds like a good time.
I hope you tried some of their sour beers while you were there.
The Temptation is right up there with the Pliny beers, IMO.

Don't forget to update your untapped app. :D

Sounds like a fun day. I think I'd be passed out on the floor if I drank as much as you (or I would have at least fell asleep during the movie). Despite how much fun it looked, I still wouldn't wait that long, but that's cool that you thought it was worth it.

Sounds like a lot of fun and you did a good job documenting it. I would have failed halfway through and maybe been on the floor.

Nice! Would love to go someday. I like the way you think "Well still not sober enough to drive home.. might as well have another beer". haha.

Younger is all hype and i feel sorry for all of your newly converted craft beer drinkers that think its worth the wait. Let me tell you, its not. There are plenty of beers that are at par and a lot that are better. Sorry fan boys! :D

858e975a4515010df1bb90e76b83b2e25b7a511d121138c324adeb6d43531582.jpg

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a plethora of his opinions.

I bet he is even a level 20 IPA Sith. Hence the name "DarthCitra".
you country boys have fun drooling over the younger and elder. LOL all i was doing was trying to save your mouth from going dry over a over hyped beer. no harm

and its level 21 IPA sith...granny(?)

Congrats on scoring some Pliny the Younger at RR. I've never had it and would love to try it some day. I also drooled over the tap list photo you posted. Some Consecration on tap would be awesome right now!
:mug:

you country boys have fun drooling over the younger and elder. LOL all i was doing was trying to save your mouth from going dry over a over hyped beer. no harm

and its level 21 IPA sith...granny(?)

Well, if some guy on the Internet told me Pliny the Younger is over-hypred then I'll go with that, because...

6hd4u.jpg

I've done it before and it's always great. If nothing else, how often can you dedicate a day to just drinking great beer?!?!? My friends are all heading up there tomorrow morning and I can't make it. Enjoying all of the great beer options here in the city though with SF Beer Week. DogFish Head Tap Takeover tomorrow night!!!! Looking forward to the 120 :)

Well, if some guy on the Internet told me Pliny the Younger is over-hypred then I'll go with that, because...

The internet alone can't be trusted. An untapped app is the only way to find unsolicited opinions from certified level 30 brew wizards who have achieved the status of "hoppier than heaven" (that is the equivalent of a 10th dan black belt if martial arts is your thing, also known as a unicorn).

Looks like a bit of a sufferfest until you actually get inside - no drinking, no smoking, no pissing off the locals. But damn!, it looks like a good time once you're inside! For 3 hours at least... I'd do it if I still lived in Cali.

Finally with something in our stomachs other than beer, it was time to head out. It was only 10 PM, lol! Got home at 11:45 PM, crashed, had to wake up much too soon for work, worked all day today, and now am at home reflecting on the awesome times! Can't wait till next year!

Yeah...it was worth it :)

Good for you. Sounds like a Class A good time.

I drank till closing in that place one night a few years ago - slept in a sleeping bag in the back of a pickup ... right in their parking lot behind RR. Woke up at sunrise and a curly haired woman, probably Natalie, Vinnie's wife, was opening up the garage door. Someone inside was milling grain. I think they run the pilot brewery out of that place. It was a great night.

@Roughster that is a great write up and photos - thanks for sharing it, looks like a great time!

And @Yooper is kind of right, I did leave a line at a beer festival with her, but the real story is that every person at the whole damn festival wanted to talk with her and I needed to go get some beer. ;)

@PassedPawn , I love that story and would never have guessed you were the sleeping bag in the back of the pickup type - sounds like an adventure! What a great story.

One Saturday morning a few years ago I work up early and thought, "What am I going to do today? Oh, I know, I'll go down to Founders and stand in line to get 2 bombers of Canadian Breakfast Stout for $20 each!"

So I did.

Got there about 7 am. It's October and COLD. Pulled in and saw the line with tents starting at the side door and stretching down the building and into their parking lot. Drive down the side street and see the line goes down the block, across the back of the lot, and back down the other side of the building. It's HUGE. I park and get in line.

Even though I was underdressed and had never done this before, and I was standing with a bunch of complete strangers, I had a great time! people were camped out all night. There were beer bottle the entire length of the line (wrapped 3/4 of the way around the block!) from people drinking all night and early that day. ALL kinds of rare and famous beers!

The best part was some guy running around with a Spongebob blanket as a cape. Spongebob Man!

Long story short I had a great time joking with others, got my two bottles of CBS, stopped freezing at about 11am, AND I filled the ENTIRE back of my cherokee with empties to take home and refill! Founders employees even brought out some huge trash bags to keep my Jeep clean. (I guess they liked that I was picking up bottles instead of them having to do it!) then I got home and realized I had to CLEAN all them bottles!

If I'd seen that beer on the shelf I'd NEVER buy it. But it was an experience and worth the cost of gas and the price of the beer. I shared the beer with others, cause I know not everyone gets a chance to even stand in line for that kind of thing.

exactly.
And the long line, rules, ect still sounds better than the best day at work.

Wish I was in one right now! But not here. It's about 0F right now...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I was dubious about Pliny until a really nice guy (BrewerinBR) brought one over to my house to share.

And it was the best IPA I've ever had. Maybe the best beer I've had. Just the right amount of balance of different hops and malts. I'd like to brew a clone, but I'll have to save up for the hop bill!

WOW! What a day! Don't hate us, cause you anus! (Interview reference)

DAMN!!! Like the Elder but without a definite more kick at 10%. It had a nice mouth feel and body. The hops were actually not as hoppy as I expected but still a nice strong bitter and aromatic. It was pretty awesome for sure! Not a person reading this wouldn't have enjoyed it, even if you're not a hop head.

It actually didn't take long before I tore off my 3rd tab and downed what I thought would be my last quaff of the nectar. It was time to see what other offerings were on the board. Other than the Younger, I was most excited about the sours!

IMG_2717.JPG

:)

Great stuff,
Great beer menu, but how can any place be credible as a hipster bar when they dont have the greatest craft beer of all time on tap....Blue Moon!!!!!

Thanks for your story with pics. Screw everyone else that had the negative comments. I'm not a line waiter, so doubt it if I'll ever do it. Now I need to try the Dark Sour.

What a great day and a great post. Thanks for sharing this. I'm at work, never had a Pliny of any age and with two little kiddo's I don't see many all day sessions at great looking bars like that anytime soon. Fantastic fun by the looks of it. Thoroughly green with envy. Cheers mate.

Thanks, Roughster--enjoyed reading about your experience. Doubtful whether I'll ever make it out there, but then again, who knows?

I've never had either pliny's so I can't say whether or not it's worth the wait, but I love beer so if I had a day to kill and some friends to kill it with sure I'd do it. For the experience.

WOW! What a day! Don't hate us, cause you anus! (Interview reference)

Friend swung by house at 7AM and we were in Santa Rosa a little after 8AM. We parked the truck the cruised over. I guessed the line was a little more than 100 people when we got there. My buddy went to the front and asked how long the 1st in liners had been there = since 2AM! He did a prelim count on the way back and came up with 109. Turns out he was pretty accurate given invariably some peeps out getting coffee / taking the Browns to the Superbowl, etc..

We took turns wandering and holding down the fort in line. By 9AM, the line had extend behind us all the way to the intersection and around the corner. By the time it started moving at 11AM I would guess another 200-300 people were behind us in line!

IMG_2704.JPG

As the line started moving, I was able to see some of the signs for the "rules" of the Younger line:

IMG_2705.JPG

Even closer:
IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

By the time we got to the pavilion / shade thing it was clear we would be RIGHT on the cusp. The importance of that is if you don't make the first 135, you have to wait for people to leave to get seated. They have 3 hours to burn, so it can be a LONG wait!

IMG_2710.JPG

We got our wrist bands and were offered THE LAST TABLE still open.

IMG_2719.JPG

Directly next to the line outside. I was ready to say, "Let's do this!" but my friend asked, "Any chance we could share a table inside with someone?" The hostess came back and said they had found someone who would be willing to share. Woot!

Made the introductions and realized just how small the world really is! One of the guys was the best friend of the husband of one of my coworkers! The other was a diehard Seahawks fan. The conversation went something like this, "I Like Beer. HEY, I like beer too! I know someone you know! I like the Seahawks as well! Let's be best friends!" :mug:

Sat down and fired off Tab 1 of 3 tabs on the wrist band for my first pint of the Younger. I wanted a clean pallet given the effort and time. Server came out with our first pints:

IMG_2718.JPG

Clinked glasses, and took the first sip. The reaction?

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

DAMN!!! Like the Elder but without a definite more kick at 10%. It had a nice mouth feel and body. The hops were actually not as hoppy as I expected but still a nice strong bitter and aromatic. It was pretty awesome for sure! Not a person reading this wouldn't have enjoyed it, even if you're not a hop head.

It actually didn't take long before I tore off my 3rd tab and downed what I thought would be my last quaff of the nectar. It was time to see what other offerings were on the board. Other than the Younger, I was most excited about the sours!

IMG_2717.JPG

Which lead to:

IMG_2720.JPG

Actually we did the full flight twice. What better way to wash down the 42 sampler? A pint of The Elder. Yummmm! Ordered a pizza, as you can tell by the picture I was feelin' it if you know what I mean!

IMG_2721.JPG

Went to take a piss and snapped a shot of the packedness!

IMG_2724.JPG

Just when I thought we were slowing down, a dude popped over and randomly offered me one of his tabs! WOOT!

IMG_2723.JPG

I split it up amongst the table and we all put down our last taste of the Younger. Was a great way to end the drinking...at RR :) Spent a few duckets getting 2 growlers of the Elder, a shirt, and a 6 pack of Concentration and Supplication. So frickin' good! I honestly like Concentration better the the Elder to be truthful!

IMG_2727.JPG

Went to the truck and dropped off the loot and decided neither of us was in any condition to drive. Decided to watch a movie to sober up. Bought tickets and had a few minutes to burn, so stopped by Aleworks and had another beer :ban:

Watched / slept through the movie, still wasn't sober, so hit Aleworks again. Man for a Tuesday this place was hopping!

IMG_2725.JPG

Finally with something in our stomachs other than beer, it was time to head out. It was only 10 PM, lol! Got home at 11:45 PM, crashed, had to wake up much too soon for work, worked all day today, and now am at home reflecting on the awesome times! Can't wait till next year!

Yeah...it was worth it :)

Hey man thats an awesome day! I'm very envious. I queued since 12 noon until 7pm to see Slash perform, but it was freezing cold and raining. You got the better end of the deal!

Back