In de Vrede - Westvleteren

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhermit

Reaction score
I'll be traveling to Belgium (among many other places) next month. Of course one of the destinations is Westvleteren. I'm aware of the process to reserve beer from them, however I really only want to walk away with maybe 2 six packs (per person) of their mix. From what I understand, you can buy sixers from their cafe In de Vrede to take-away... is this true? In that case, why go through the process of calling long distance, making reservations, scheduling a pick up date and showing up? Do you get to see more of the abbey this way? I know if you want a crate, you have to... but I cannot fit a crate in my backpack.

I'm kinda just as excited being on premise as I am drinking the beer... even if you cannot do any tours. But if booking a reservation gets me a little closer to where the magic happens, then so be it.

Thanks

Well apparently I can't read. The mix doesn't require reservation and it looks like they just have a window of time you can come pick it up. Otherwise you go to the cafeteria?

* A MIX is a degustation packet containing one bottle TW Blond, one bottle TW 8 and one bottle TW 12. It is sold without reservation and as long as the stock stretches with a maximum of 2 mix packets each person. One mix costs 9 euro.

Send me a pm with your email, I'll get you connected with a friend in Belgium for solid info. He's the one that introduced me to Westvleteren 12 on a business trip.

I have exactly the same question. It's good to know that this question was posted two days ago. Normally, google searches that turn a question similar to mine, and subsequent answers, are dated 2003 and thus completely irrelevant. Good to know someone else is thinking the same way I am, at approximately the same time I am.

Here is some info from a local:

Lately it has become sheer impossible, even for us Belgian's, to get our hands on a crate of Westvleteren...

I don't think you can visit the abbey though.

However, there's a little pub next to the abbey where you can drink a Westvleteren.

http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm

Our beer can also be enjoyed in the welcome center 'In De Vrede', across the street from the abbey. Here you can also visit the Claustrum , an exhibition room with a presentation of life in the abbey as well as information about the brewery and the brewing process.

http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/claustrum.htm

---

A MIX is a degustation packet containing one bottle TW Blond, one bottle TW 8 and one bottle TW 12. It is sold without reservation and as long as the stock stretches with a maximum of 2 mix packets each person. One mix costs 9 euro.

---

http://www.indevrede.be/languagee/index.htm

I visited the abbey in May of this year. In de Vrede is across the street from the abbey and is a great place to sit back and enjoy their great beers at an awesome price! You can purchase sampler packs in the gift shop. The sample packs consist of 4 beers (two blondes, one 8 and one 12) and a glass. I walked away with two of them to bring back home. They cost approx $25 USD per pack.

Forget about trying to order cases from the abbey, unless you know someone who lives in the area and even then I have been told it is very difficult to get your hands on a crate.

Here is a pic of the sampler pack.

IMG_0997-1.jpg

I was there at the beginning of June. We rented bikes in Poperinge and rode out to the abbey/cafe.

image-4273087954.jpg

Back