Imperial porter on 2nd gen Roeselare final gavity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkblossom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Story; I have a imperial porter that with an OG=1.077 (22-6-17) mashed at 70 degrees C, fermented with S-05 for 3 weeks.
The yeast finished, leaving a Gravity=1.030. I transferred to secondary vessel containing 2nd use Roeselare and added another 1oz of french oak staves.
I measured the gravity on the 07-6-18 which stands at 1.022. And tasting incredible. Tart cherries and chocolate with the right amount of malt and sourness playing off each other.
Do you think I should leave it for another 3 months and see where the gravity sits or do you think that after a year now on the Roeselare cake, I should be right to bottle in heavy champagne bottles?
I ask as my work schedule is going to be hectic soon and I would like to throw another beer on the cake.

Sounds good to me!

Normally you'd check gravity a few weeks apart to make sure it's stable, but after a year+ and using heavy bottles I think you're good to go.

Do you think it'll go down a few more points? If so, would it be a good idea to not use priming sugar and let it carb naturally?

Back