I'm sorry but light beer sucks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greywolf

Reaction score
Is anyone drinking this swill for anything beyond price. Was just a a bon-fire and the choices were all something Light. Damn. They ranged from piss(miller) to Huh? (coors). Does anyone still like beer flavor? These are not it.

Is anyone drinking this swill for anything beyond price. Was just a a bon-fire and the choices were all something Light. Damn. They ranged from piss(miller) to Huh? (coors). Does anyone still like beer flavor? These are not it.

I drink it when I’m in a mood to drink a boat load on the weekend and still be productive! I prefer the piss over the huh.

It certainly lacks character, in my opinion. @Hoppy2bmerry has a saying under every post that is kind of funny.
Many here, ironically, like/love/enjoy BMC on occasion or otherwise. I definitely don't and wouldn't ever drink it even if it's the only think available.
It's not productive to aggressively attack something people truly enjoy, learned from experience.

Well, it seems I have been summoned to this thread by @davidabcd. And I don’t like to pee a lot. ;)
With that said if I happen to be at an event and the pisswasser and pisswasser light is included I’ll drink it, but I don’t prefer it. The people I know of that regularly drink it do so for fewer calories and the lower cost.

Some people drink it because it is lower in alcohol and calories.
Others don't really like beer and drink it because it is also generally lower in flavor.
Personally, I very rarely drink one when I am in hot tropical country and just want something to quench my thirst and don't trust the water.

I'd rather not drink that drink those light macro lagers... and I really... really... really like to drink... but I'll go without. I also brew and or buy the type of beer that I want to drink... so I'm typically never in a situation where I'm forced to drink something I don't want....

People eat tasteless food, listen to insipid pop music, watch boring TV shows, spend millions to go on vacations at theme parks where they wait on line and watch the "VIP" groups ushered to the front...
So not everyone can have superb taste when it comes to choosing beer, wine and other beverages.
Or maybe they just don't want to think about what it tastes like, they just want the beer buzz without any flavor and less calories.

What do you mean by “light” beer? Bud Light?

Take a crack at the new Lagunitas Day Time IPA. I would consider that a light beer at 99 calories with a ton of flavor. It’s also fairly shelf stable from what I can tell.

Was hanging around the boys last night, and out came the coors light. I spent more time pissing than talking. I hurried home for a irish red. lol
Eric

i haven't bought alcohol from the store since 8-2018, 12 pack of InBev IPA, could have used some more crystal malt in my opinion.....and i think a year before that i got a bottle of Madeira......that lasted me 6 months....

But i don't mind a Milwaukee's Best, if that's what's being served....Or any crap like that, they ferment theirs cleaner then i do....lol

edit: for me, it's not a flavor issue, it's a size issue....

Last edited:
I went to a Giant Eagle one day because they of all grocers in ohio carry a pretty large beer selection. Guy in line ahead of me bought 2 "cases" of Busch Light and payed 15.00 dollars! I layed my 2 sixers of sierra nevada Pale ale and victory golden monkey up there and payed 22.00 dollars. Its the math....and every friend of mine who cant drink my "free" beer drinks the same thing.

I went to a Giant Eagle one day because they of all grocers in ohio carry a pretty large beer selection. Guy in line ahead of me bought 2 "cases" of Busch Light and payed 15.00 dollars! I layed my 2 sixers of sierra nevada Pale ale and victory golden monkey up there and payed 22.00 dollars. Its the math....and every friend of mine who cant drink my "free" beer drinks the same thing.

you/people, buy beer? lol

On occasion i do, especially if its something i have not tried making yet. This was several years ago and the only beer i buy on occasion now is a Bell's product or a new APA or IPA i might try making.

I will drink commercial piss-water when it's free or cheap AND there is nothing else around (think wedding open bar) but sometimes even then I will just skip it. But objectively the best crap beer is Red Dog, though to be honest I haven't seen it in years and I'm not sure if I moved out of where they distribute or if they quit making beer!

I love trying new things and having variety in my beer diet. I still go to the liquor store a few times a month, sometimes I don't get anything but I still go. Not only do I want to see if there's anything new and grab limited releases (think KBS etc) but I do kegs and only keep two on hand. I don't have enough people over and don't really drink all that much so I only go through about a keg a month. That would mean only drinking two or three different things during the course of the month so to keep some variety I pretty much have to buy some once in a while, though I never buy cases and usually stick with mix 6 packs or individual bottles/bombers. Back when I bottled I was usually able to keep more variety around but that was alot more work and even then I would still check the liquor store once in a while something new and different.

Research and it’s where empty bottles come from. I can buy a case of new tall necks for 15 or get a case of Sams or an import at Costco for about 6-10 more. Recently some friends that enjoy my beer asked if I could use some corona bottles, no thanks, (said a little something about light struck flavor/smell) then they said Heineken? LOL, that was a no again.

I will choose Bud Light over Milkshake IPA exactly 100% of the time.

Fight me.

This so much. I have a buddy that started brewing around the same time I did but the only things he likes to make/drink are milkshake IPAs and overly sweet fruity beers. I'll give him honest feedback since he asked and I want to help a fellow brewer but it's killing me.

If I want “light” beer I’ll brew an 80% version of my Pale or Blonde Ale recipes. Hey, it works for BMC, right?

I really don’t buy much beer. When we’re at the city house I don’t usually have enough time to brew, though I did get a brew day in last month. That will change as I move towards retirement from semi-retirement. When we’re in the city I usually buy a variety 12 or 15 pack.

I will choose Bud Light over Milkshake IPA exactly 100% of the time.

Fight me.
This all the way. That crap can take a hike. And, yes, I like to buy beer on occasion. Right now it's Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Soon, it'll be BCBS. All that lovely German beer out there, in cans if it's available. I still also occasionally crave something like Boddingtons or Murphy's Stout, so I gotta pick up a 4 pack of that every once in a while.

I love the romantic idea of only drinking what you brew, it just isn't realistic if you're a true beer lover. There's way too much beer to be had out there. It's almost like only listening to the music you make or reading the poetry you write.

I'll agree on the BMC stuff. But a nicely done Lager or Kolsch or Pilsner or other such beer is a thing of beauty.

Every once in a while my boss will invite me to have a light beer with him after work. I also try to keep a light beer in the fridge for my wife. She only drinks a couple a month, so they last me a long time.

The first time I tried Firestone Lager, I had been working outside in 100F+ heat. At the time I thought it might be the best beer I've ever had. That might have been the heat stroke talking tho...

I don't mind a Coors original or Miller light when that's all there is and I feel like drinking. I'd rather have a blonde ale, kolsch, pilsner, or even an english pale mild.

no white claws lol

"Light beer" to me is now a Belgian Tripel. Now that I'm stocked up on bottles (I do not give them away since they're flip-tops) and filled bottles, I'm not buying out that often. The people at the specialty beer store probably miss me.
Never say never: I find it hard to resist buying Dragonmead Final Absolution when I see it.

Natural Villain by Goose Island is pretty decent "swill-style" beer without actually being cheap swill.

But if I'm at a dive bar I'll enjoy the hell out of a few PBR, Hamm's, or Coors banquet, I ain't above it.

I’m drinking light beer right now. This keg is almost gone since my neighbors helped me empty it. I’ll make more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
I went through a period where I had similar sentiment and then I realized I like bud light better than budweiser and many others.

See light beer at least has a purpose, its low in calories. Also, you can drink a bunch and not get to crazy. Last, on a hot summer day an ice cold bud light is refreshing. So yeah, I dont buy it anymore, but at least it has some value.

Back