I'm sad - 2 LHBS in my area have closed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistertinkle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2 LHBS stores in my area have closed this month. There are others in my metro area, but it is sad to see them closing. I'm not a large volume or frequent brewer, so I know I didn't do much to contribute to their business. I did enjoy interacting with the employees when I was in the shops. They were friendly, helpful, and non-judgemental.

I guess there isn't really a point to my post other than share.

Thanks for sharing. It is a sad event.

I have 2 LHBS within 30-40 minute drive each way. One is better stocked in malt varieties, the other in yeast variety and sundries and stocks and sells whole sacks for reasonable prices. I hope there is enough business to keep both. There are a few others in the larger metro area, but much farther from me.

That does suck. I’m very lucky that adventures is my “local” store. The one 5 miles from my house was attached to a soap and candle making shop and my car boy caps smelled like soap. I can’t imagine what the grains were like. Said store apparently closed.

I am driving 2.5 hours 1 way to get my grains. When the lhbs closed this spring that was 15 minutes from my house.
Eric

Sad to hear. Hard for brick and mortar retail. So much online, and the online stores are very good. Online is the only option for me - closest HBS 100 miles away. I've found Adventures in Homebrewing to be very good (no relationship, etc.).

I am driving 2.5 hours 1 way to get my grains.
That's crazy! You getting whole sacks?

If LHBS can't match selection and prices, they're finished.
The ones that are able to hang on have dual stores, like a winery or beer store.
My LHBS has a decent selection of grains, but the hops are spotty and the prices aren't that great. Its out of my way, so haven't stopped in there in a while.
When you start buying grain and hops in bulk, you don't need a LHBS anymore.

Last edited:
I am driving 2.5 hours 1 way to get my grains. When the lhbs closed this spring that was 15 minutes from my house.
Eric
Wow! That's dedication. Do you stock up for a year's worth of brewing?

We have an organized group grain buy in DC, an hour drive each way for me, 3-4 times a year. The grains are bought through the homebrew shop which is part of small craft brewery (3 Stars). I think it's win-win for all of us. Pricing is reasonable, they take their cut, we have access to grain that's difficult to obtain otherwise, we split some bags there, and the price of DME alone is worth the sticky hassle and almost the drive.

The two closest to me are both 90 minute drives: one south the other north east. I'd like to patronize one or both, but with a 27 year old car and $4 a gallon gas they are both too far.
I just placed an order with Morebeer. Right now they are having a $35 threshold for free shipping special.

I'm definitely spoiled with a good selection of LHBS in my area. The 2 that closed were ~15 minutes away. They both had good selections of grains, yeast, and equipment.

There is another great shop ~20 minutes away, and a couple more within ~30 minutes. So, there is competition in the area.

I don't think I would travel 60+ minutes just to make a LHBS run. I'd have to combine it with some other reason(s) to travel. I do enjoy being able to taste the difference in grains before I purchase, but not enough to travel 60+ minutes just for supplies.

Online sources are very good. I think yeast would be the tricky product.

That's crazy! You getting whole sacks?

If LHBS can't match selection and prices, they're finished.
The ones that are able to hang on have dual stores, like a winery or beer store.
My LHBS has a decent selection of grains, but the hops are spotty and the prices aren't that great. Its out of my way, so haven't stopped in there in a while.
When you start buying grain and hops in bulk, you don't need a LHBS anymore.
My LHBS is Brewtensils in Dayton, and they're right next door to Belmont Party Supply. If I have a hankering for a beer I don't feel like brewing, I can find it in there.

I have been buying enough for 2 batches per trip. I do 10 gallons at a clip. I am buried in truck expenses right now, blew my engine at 387,000 miles. lol As soon as that project is over I plan to buy a scale. Then I will buy by the sack and prolly order specialty grains on the interweb.
Eric

The two closest to me are both 90 minute drives: one south the other north east. I'd like to patronize one or both, but with a 27 year old car and $4 a gallon gas they are both too far.
I just placed an order with Morebeer. Right now they are having a $35 threshold for free shipping special.
I tell a lie. They are both around 90 miles. Getting to either on the roads I have to use make it more like two hours each way.

That’s a bummer. The one near my house just closed this past year. I went there to pick up ingredients and it was closed. Fortunately there is a nice shop about 10 minutes from my office so I can swing through there on a lunch break, but I do miss the small independent shop that was near my house.

I'm amazed by the dedication of driving even 30 minutes (1hr round trip plus the time in the store). I'm not proud of it, but I have two LHBS within 30 minutes, and another large one (Maryland Homebrew Supply) 40 minutes away - and still buy my supplies online including bulk grain. Bulk prices around here aren't great, so buying online is maybe a few bucks more for the sack. I know - people like me are the reason the stores close.

My issue was that prices were the same or more expensive than online, and I might not know if they have something in stock until I go and invest the time, only to come home and place an order for the thing they didn't have.....or drive the other direction to go to another store. Also, I have no other reason to visit any of these three areas.

I think that for a lot of people, especially younger brewers with families, having time to brew is the biggest factor preventing them from brewing. Time spent driving to and from the LHBS and time spent shopping is time that could have been spent actually brewing.

Being a local business person my view is the same, but different. I try to drive the local economy even if it is that far away, rather than buy online. I enjoy talking to fellow brewers and meeting new people. Driving the distance that I do now I am meeting a lot of new people. The new lhbs is also in a college town, so my last trip on the first hot day of spring yielded some good scenery for an old guy. lol
Eric

I'm lucky...I buy all my ingredients at my LHBS about 15 minutes away. There's another shop I haven't visited yet that is also 15-20 minutes away. Buying in bulk wouldn't work for me since I brew 3 gallon batches mainly and vary my styles and ingredients quite a bit. Even if I bought sacks of base mult, I'd still need to shop for character grains and yeast.

I'm lucky...I buy all my ingredients at my LHBS about 15 minutes away. There's another shop I haven't visited yet that is also 15-20 minutes away. Buying in bulk wouldn't work for me since I brew 3 gallon batches mainly and vary my styles and ingredients quite a bit. Even if I bought sacks of base mult, I'd still need to shop for character grains and yeast.
I think *most* people who buy bulk only buy their base grain. I know some people buy bulk specialty grain if they tend to use a lot of certain things, but most of us still need to go buy/order specialty grains for each batch.

I think *most* people who buy bulk only buy their base grain. I know some people buy bulk specialty grain if they tend to use a lot of certain things, but most of us still need to go buy/order specialty grains for each batch.

Right...Mine wasn't a well thought-out post.
I was thinking a few things that I didn't type...about having to buy a grain mill for bulk grains, whether it would be worth it, etc.

Bottom line - it would suck not having a nearby LHBS where I can go in buy almost any grain I need in small or large quantities, mill it there, have a small room full of hops to choose from and a large selection of yeasts!

Thanks Siciliano's Market!
(not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer)

Being a local business person my view is the same, but different. I try to drive the local economy even if it is that far away, rather than buy online.
Eric

How far of a drive before you don't consider it "the local economy"?
Question really to anyone...just curious.

Drive the local economy means support small business. Being in a small state going out of state would be no longer local.
Eric

I really like my LHBS. They have an excellent selection. The staff is great, too. And they are the only ones around for a long drive, so if they close I'll be hosed.

But it's expensive. So I buy grain there, and small parts, and things that I know I may need to return due to fit/performance issues... but if I am gonna buy a pound of hops or serious equipment, I buckle and buy online.

I'd have to be in a new income bracket to buy all of my stuff local without flinching at the cost. I do my best to support them but I can't shop there all the time.

Back