I'm fat because I homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everyone has mentioned weight and years but a lot of you left out how much you drink and what kind of stuff your drinking. at 5' 10" and 145lbs im fairly skinny but im only 22, so im curious to know what i have to look forward to. I like darker and stronger beers but i dont drink that much maybe I average one a day.
I love to ride my bike both road and trails and i would recommend riding to anyone looking to lose weight, the sense of accomplishment when you look back and realize you rode 40 miles even if you burn less per mile than running the psychological advantage is there. its also a bit easier on your knees and feet than running.

I love to ride my bike both road and trails and i would recommend riding to anyone looking to lose weight

Thats mainly what I do- But Im not trying to lose weight. Im trying to lose fat. There is a fine line between burning muscle and fat.

I've definitely had to up the workout routine to maintain my weight since I started homebrewing.

My knees are shot from snowboarding and running, so I've got to use the elliptical trainer. BORING. I should start mtn biking more as the other guy mentioned. I lift weights as well, but that has never helped lose weight like aerobic activity.

I lift weights as well, but that has never helped lose weight like aerobic activity.

Thats because you are too focused on the #s. Let the mirror/cloths dictate your progress.

But if your happy thats all that matters.

I have been a runner for the past 5 years or so and just started switching over to more of a HIT method. Sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds, walk for 1:30, repeat that about 7 or 8 times. So far is seems like it burns more calories and is a better work out for the lower body. If anything it shortens my run times and breaks up the monotony of running.

stever

Thats awesome- Other method is sprinting from telephone pole to pole- then walking- then sprinting. Really effective

MikeFlynn74 said:
stever

Thats awesome- Other method is sprinting from telephone pole to pole- then walking- then sprinting. Really effective

We don't really have telephone poles in the subdivisions, its all buried cable. Also I run around a lake that has a path so nothing there but wildlife and cattails. I like the idea though and I'm sure I can find other obstacles to run between, like geese or ducks. :)

MikeFlynn74 said:
Um what the hell are you drinking? Most have 250ish.

Barley wines only range about 360.

Besides- after exercise you continue to burn until your body reaches back to norm.

My 'pint' glass is 600 ml. It probably comes in at close to 400 calories. Running one hour to effectively burn 100 calories is pretty much a wash.

k1v116 wrote:
everyone has mentioned weight and years but a lot of you left out how much you drink and what kind of stuff your drinking. at 5' 10" and 145lbs im fairly skinny but im only 22, so im curious to know what i have to look forward to. I like darker and stronger beers but i dont drink that much maybe I average one a day.
54 years old
155-160 lbs
2 beers / night weekdays
more on the weekends
5-10% ABV
300 calories / beer (per BeerSmith)
average about 50 miles / week
more when aiming towards an event

You have a lot of good year ahead of you :ban: (jumping jacks?)

i've actually managed to lose around 15lbs since starting homebrewing.. still got another 25 to go though.

i try to make sure i drink in moderation, so mainly just on weekends only. i'll eat healthy during the week and try to take in a small bit of exercise if possible.

Homercidal said:
No doubt! Gotta start somewhere though. I'm only about probably 180ish right now. Way up from the 140 I used to be when young and running a machine all day. Since I got a sit-down job (and got into my 30s) I gained some pounds.

The funny thing is, now that I'm drinking more beer (usually a 12oz in the evening, but not always, and sometimes 2-3 on weekend) my doctor says my blood pressure and cholesterol have gone down. Still need to get on a regular exercise program though.

My problem is not enjoying my exercise. I need something other than running, and I think trail running would be good. Migh thave to start looking around here for a trail. I like basketball, but dnot' have a hoop, and don't know anyone to play with. Also badmiton (seriously, a good badmiton game can knock you out!). I can't stand to do exercise just to do exercise. I need a goal or competition.

Need more suggestions from people to help us drinkers lower our body weight! :rockin:
My wife and I take the dogs for brisk walks along a rail trail that usually last 45 mins to an hour. I also starting riding bike last year. I need to get on the bike again and get conditioned again. In about 3 weeks I'll start riding the bike back and forth to work, which is 10 1/2 miles each way. I only do that about 2 or 3 times a week but it's great exercise and you are getting outdoors.

riored4v said:
i've actually managed to lose around 15lbs since starting homebrewing.. still got another 25 to go though.

i try to make sure i drink in moderation, so mainly just on weekends only. i'll eat healthy during the week and try to take in a small bit of exercise if possible.

I actually found that beer helped me lose weight :D

I was eating too 'healthy,' basically, and not getting enough calories (which is why I put healthy in quotes). The extra 150-200 calories a day kickstarted my metabolism and the pounds melted off.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Caloric deprovation is def bad- Puts your body into a store/fat mode.

?????

Reducing calories below your maintenance level is how you lose weight.

Reducing calories below your maintenance level is how you lose weight

Not always- Your body is designed to store fat. When you starve yourself it slows down your metabolism. You can lose weight to a point- But you will still retain more fat as your body tends to burn muscle for fuel instead of fat.

Its a lot more complicated- But I can lose more fat by taking in 3500 calories a days and Burning 2000 then only taking in 1800 and burning 1000. Even though I have 700 calorie difference.

Yeah, cutting down on calories is good. However, depriving your body of them is bad... I was at <1700 a day while doing half an hour of cardio 5-6 times a week and resistance (free weights) 3 times a week. For a (then) 210 pound guy, that put my body into 'omg you're trapped on a deserted island and are gnawing lichen off a rock' mode.

Sigafoos said:
I actually found that beer helped me lose weight :D

I was eating too 'healthy,' basically, and not getting enough calories (which is why I put healthy in quotes). The extra 150-200 calories a day kickstarted my metabolism and the pounds melted off.

I never really counted calories. As lame as it sounds, me and the girl did Weight Watchers for a few months and I was able to lose around 60lbs in 7 months or so.

6'4" - 285. Got down to 225.. stopped the diet due to holidays and thats about the time homebrewing started. I started dieting again recently by basically using the same method WW taught us any i'm back down to 225 again (after 6 weeks or so) after gaining 10lbs over the holidays.

I still definitely enjoy my beers, but i've tried to cut back as much as possible to help me get down to 200.

We also picked up some mountain bikes and plan on doing that to help lose these last few pounds of well-earned beer belly. The Ab Lounge we picked up off of craigslist is a pretty fun little machine as well.

I am actually down, I have replaced things like dinner with beer... partly because I don't have time to cook and partly because I need to get rid of all of this beer.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Not always- Your body is designed to store fat. When you starve yourself it slows down your metabolism. You can lose weight to a point- But you will still retain more fat as your body tends to burn muscle for fuel instead of fat.

I disagree, based a lot of reading and personal experience. There is a myth out there that if you reduce calories too low your metabolism "crashes" and you stop burning fat. It's not true--your body needs a certain amount of energy to survive and if it's not getting it from food it will start burning fat and muscle.

I lost 50 lbs in 3 months by eating 500-1000 calories a day and running everyday. It sucked horribly, it was unhealthy, I would never recommend it and I would never do it again, but it DOES work. During the peak of my weight loss I dropped a pound every single day for one month. I started in March 15, '07 at 235lbs and in June I was at 185. Everyone told me that I had "ruined" my metabolism and I would just gain all the weight back. It's now over a year later and I'm sitting at 175lbs and trying to put on weight (hopefully mostly muscle) through eating above maintenance and weightlifting.

This is just my experience. Maybe my body is unique, I don't know.

This is just my experience. Maybe my body is unique, I don't know.

Genetic makup is the most important thing-

your crash diet was bad- and hard on your body. But not as bad as being Obese.

Ive been training for over 10 years so Ive done a lot of experimenting with different tecniques-
Most people cant be like me- Ive been as high as 265 with perfect cholesterol and less than 15% BF at only 5'9.

But Ive also gotten as low as 215. 215 was actually unhealthy for me. 235-245 is the sweet spot.

Good stuff,all. I never thought a treadmill could be listed as "brewing equipment" until now.

Still, it seems most of you have it under control. At least those of you who are telling the truth. :p

MikeFlynn74 said:
Genetic makup is the most important thing-

your crash diet was bad- and hard on your body. But not as bad as being Obese.

Ive been training for over 10 years so Ive done a lot of experimenting with different tecniques-
Most people cant be like me- Ive been as high as 265 with perfect cholesterol and less than 15% BF at only 5'9.

But Ive also gotten as low as 215. 215 was actually unhealthy for me. 235-245 is the sweet spot.

I'm just now finding my "sweet spot"....just watching what I eat during the week and weight training + volleyball + yard work. I look and feel a lot better now, but I would really like to build some more muscle.

Oh yeah, and we were talking about beer before I brought everything OT, right? I have cut down my beer intake a lot but I still drink a lot compared to most people. I cut out all sweets and eat smaller lunches to make up for the calories.

The weekend is for eating, homebrewing and beer drinking!

maltMonkey said:
I'm just now finding my "sweet spot"....just watching what I eat during the week and weight training + volleyball + yard work. I look and feel a lot better now, but I would really like to build some more muscle.

Oh yeah, and we were talking about beer before I brought everything OT, right? I have cut down my beer intake a lot but I still drink a lot compared to most people. I cut out all sweets and eat smaller lunches to make up for the calories.

The weekend is for eating, homebrewing and beer drinking!

that's pretty much what I did as well to combat the increased consumption. I too probably drink more than the average person and the beers I do drink are definitely probably higher in calories than most.

I pretty only drink water now, no sweets and no junk snacks throughout the day. Most meals now are either chicken or fish, lunches are a sandwich (chicken/turkey, non-fat cheese, lettuce, low-fat mayo and some wheat bread) w/ maybe a vitamin water and breakfast is usually oatmeal.

My weekend schedule sounds the same as yours:mug:

Benny Blanco said:
Good stuff,all. I never thought a treadmill could be listed as "brewing equipment" until now.
Maybe the next step in brewing will be to build a treadmill-powered brew sculpture! Attach a generator to a treadmill and see how many calories it takes to get the strike water in your electric HLT up to 160F!

I’m not talking about the physiological effects that taking in additional water has.

I’m talking about quenching your thirst with water before you hit the taps.

It’s easy to down 20 ounces or so (250 calories) off the kegerator just because your thirsty...and then commence to serious beer enjoyment. Do this 4-5 nights a week and it adds up fast.

If I chug 15 ounces of water first, I’m much more likely to draw a smaller glass of a good IPA or RIS and savor it slowly over the next 30-40 minutes.

With beer, I really think it’s a matter of losing track of the calories.

BierMuncher said:
I’m not talking about the physiological effects that taking in additional water has.

I’m talking about quenching your thirst with water before you hit the taps.

It’s easy to down 20 ounces or so (250 calories) off the kegerator just because your thirsty...and then commence to serious beer enjoyment. Do this 4-5 nights a week and it adds up fast.

If I chug 15 ounces of water first, I’m much more likely to draw a smaller glass of a good IPA or RIS and savor it slowly over the next 30-40 minutes.

With beer, I really think it’s a matter of losing track of the calories.

another thing regarding water that I was taught for those looking to help with their appetites.. drink a glass of water before you eat. It will help you feel a bit more full and help you slowly lower the amount of excess food you take in.

I'm only "recently health concience". I was always single digit fat/bmi through college. Marriage and metabolism began to take a toll in the mid 20s. Now at 35 I've started working out pretty heavy with resistance training and am currently starting a cutting cycle. 6-1" 210# and 12% body fat will look and feel alot better than my previous 238# weight at Christmas. No I'm not there yet but will be this time next year. I've already shed about 11# while adding a decent bit of muscle mass/refinement. And yes I drink what I want, just not real late at night. As a matter of fact my starting homebrewing has coincided with my pursuit of a healthier lifestyle!

My advice to anyone seeking a healthier lifestyle:

1) Drink more water, a gallon a day.
2) Drink more water!
3) Eat high protein/low carb.
4) Eat all the green veggies you want.
5) Reduce the sodium.
6) Cardio train an average of 20-30 mins a day.
7) Resistance train a couple times a week.
8) Drink diet soda instead of regular.

Live long and prosper!
Schlante,
Phillip

I'm a lot better off doing homebrew than I was working in a microbrewery and running their tasting lounge/bar. Holy smoke, if there's a way to visit the realm of "too much beer" both for dietary reasons and just overexposure, that's it.

1) Drink more water, a gallon a day.
2) Drink more water!
3) Eat high protein/low carb.
4) Eat all the green veggies you want.
5) Reduce the sodium.
6) Cardio train an average of 20-30 mins a day.
7) Resistance train a couple times a week.
8) Drink diet soda instead of regular.

Id have to disagree with #3- protein and carbs should be between 30/70 or 40/60- If you are being active. To low carbs makes for feeling like ****.

Diet sodas have a good amount of sodium-

Well, I guess that I didn't mention earlier something that has been crucial in my healthy weight/lifestyle. I haven't had a sodapop or a piece of cake or a potato chip in years. After a while, you don't miss it. It's like gas for your car- your car runs best with the right fuel. My body is the same way- it runs best on proper nutrition.

So, three pints a day seems like a lot (and I drink one small glass of wine with dinner every night). It probably is too much- but I dont' eat any artificial foods. By artificial foods, I mean processed stuff. I don't eat "white foods" at all- no white flour, pasta, rice, etc. It is fine to eat them as whole grains, though, and that is the bulk of my diet. I don't eat junk food (I probably haven't had a doughnut in at least 20 years), I exercise. I eat wonderful meals- complete with wine- every night. I don't really each much though. I would NEVER touch a diet soda or "diet" anything- it's artificial. I would also never eat anything with high fructose corn syrup.

I definitely am 10 pounds heavier. My cholesterol is low, my blood pressure is low, my blood sugar is low and I'm healthier than many 25 year olds. Seems like a fair trade off!

I pounded the pavement for 35 years. The last couple were filled with injuries - minor but annoying. So now I work out on the machines at the gym - three very intense workouts with recovery workouts in between. My beer consumption has been pretty consistent over these years so my problem is simply FOOD. If I don't eat after the evening meal then I can keep my weight steady. At almost 62, I am about 5'11" and around 195 - probably less than 10lbs over for me. On another note, my wife suffers from an intestinal disorder and maybe this is just a coincidence but since drinking home brew (two years now), she is symptom free - the first time in 20 years. She swears that it is the yeast. Who knows!!

Ive been as high as 265 with perfect cholesterol and less than 15% BF at only 5'9.
Those numbers [edit: weight/height] are some 90 lbs above the high end of "norm" for even a big-framed guy; how was the body fat computed? Maybe I'm not overweight, maybe I just need a different formula.

:)

Rick

Those numbers [edit: weight/height] are some 90 lbs above the high end of "norm" for even a big-framed guy; how was the body fat computed? Maybe I'm not overweight, maybe I just need a different formula

185 is way too low for me. Ive had shredded abs at 220. BF was done by the pinch method. Havent found a place to do the water one.

Then again my thighs measured at 28" when I was at my biggest and I still had some definition.

maybe I just need a different formula

You could always try working a little harder.

RoaringBrewer said:
+1, and I'll be 26 in 26 days.

I'll be 26 in 38 days, but unfortunately I'm at 200 lbs for the first time in my life. I'm 6'1'' and have gained a good 10 lbs since I started brewing 6 months ago. But I think this is mostly just a coincidence. I've also been living out of a hotel Mon-Fri for the past 5 months on business, eating less healthy than if I were at home, and definately not getting much excercise. Today is the last day of this project, so hopefully as my life returns to normal I'll be able to drop those pounds back off. We'll see...

Ageing is different for everyone, but due to metabolic changes, everyone will start being more prone to being fat anywhere from age 25-32.

Job changes also contribute. If someone gets promoted off of the assembly line and into a desk job, look out waist-line!

+1 to Yooper. At least, that is where I want to be. With 3 small kids, I eat my fair share of junk out of sheer necessity. We don't have a live in nanny, so I or my wife make the meals.(or order pizza)

I have a small gut, but it hard to say if it is homebrew, my desk job, my age (now 32), or having kids. Probably all of the above!

Back