Illuminated Selector Switch after PID before SSR Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
How would I wire an illuminated selector switch coming from an auberins PID before the SSR? Is that possible? Wiring these switches for pumps is easy since it is all 110v, however coming off the PID is VDC. What should I do?

Also, are float switches suppose to be on the AC or DC side, before or after the SSR?

Thanks.

The illuminated switches I have used just have a separate circuit for the light. Mine from automation direct had screws/contacts in the switch body for the light and the contact blocks were added on. It's like have a pilot light + switch in the same body. You'll want to the wire the light just like if it was separate.

Edit -- reading your post further, are you trying to run a light from the Auber PID DC output? You're better off running the light from the 'other side' of the SSR on the AC current (or better yet, on the load it's running).

put a small transformer (cell phone chargers are popular; anything rated for the voltage of the indicator lamp) after the SSR in parrallel with the heating element, and wire the low voltage output of the transformer to the indicator light.

I got the DC illuminated switch, this. Therefore the illumination is AC, right? Or is it the LED that is DC? I am confused.

The switch will still work going from the PID to the Switch then to the SSR, correct? Just not illuminated?

I am using Auberin PID with Auberin SSR.

click on the spec sheet link right on the page. it has all the info in it.

under part number GCX1253-24, you have two options for replacement bulbs; ECX1902-5 (incandessant) or ECX1913-2 (LED)

im guessing the "L" at the end of GCX1253-24 indicates it comes with a LED bulb. so look two pages down under replacement bulbs and find "ECX1913-2"... it shows its a yellow 24v, 26mA bulb. it doesnt specify AC or DC, so it could be both (if they have a rectification circuit in there). however LEDs are usually DC so i would just assume that.

so you will need to power the bulb with 24v DC (AC might also work, but they dont say).

Easy solution for using that switch for what you intend to do: Order an additional N/O contact block for the switch. Use one block for controlling the device and the other for controlling the illumination within the switch.

Problem solved.

Ah ok. I am getting more contact blocks and I am replacing the 24v LED lights with 120v LED lights. Thanks PJ.

As far as another thing goes, I should have no problem going from the PID, to the selector switch, to a float switch, to the SSR, correct?

I have the whole controller wired on 120v as is right now. SSRs, heat sinks, float switches, more contact blocks are all on order.

The only thing is wiring 3 6000w 208v in a 3 phase circuit for one PID controller.

Ah ok. I am getting more contact blocks and I am replacing the 24v LED lights with 120v LED lights. Thanks PJ.

As far as another thing goes, I should have no problem going from the PID, to the selector switch, to a float switch, to the SSR, correct?

I have the whole controller wired on 120v as is right now. SSRs, heat sinks, float switches, more contact blocks are all on order.

The only thing is wiring 3 6000w 208v in a 3 phase circuit for one PID controller.
Can you illustrate a general outline that shows what you are trying to achieve? I can not picture it all in this old man's head - yet. Help me help you.

Ok?

Supply is 208v. I am putting 3 6000w 208v elements in HLT and 3 in the BK. I will have 1 2000w 208v element in a RIMS Tube. I have 4 PIDs, 3 for controlling the HLT, RIMS, and BK and the other to monitor the MLT. 2 pumps.

On my panel, I have 120v power in through key switch, through an e-stop switch, to terminal bars. I powered the pump switches no problem. Then I powered all the PIDs no problem. I want to have an illuminated selector switch in between the PID and SSR to ensure safety of the elements not dry firing. I will be using my BK for CIP most likely, so I want added protection. I also want to install float switches in the HLT and BK to protect the elements. This isn't the problem I am having. Going from the SSRs to the elements and wiring the heating elements is what I don't know. PJ, I followed your diagram you did the other day in the 3 phase thread. I don't see that being any different than my situation. However, I will be using 6000w elements. I purchased 40a SSRs and can get however big circuit breakers needed. Thank you.

If I understand you correctly, you want to have an illuminated switch between your PID and SSR to control power going to your elements. In the off position the light is not lit and in the on position it is lit, right?

If so, I accomplished this on my control panel (link to pics in my sig) by using the definite purpose relay that sits between the SSR and element outlet. I wanted a way to control both legs of the power so I have relays for each outlet. I use an illuminated push button switch for each relay. When the button is pushed in, the relay closes, the switch lights up, and power can flow to the element outlets if the SSR is closed. I have a different light on the 240v side the lets me know when the elements are energized. This will not prevent dry firing. I think only a float switch will help you there. And I think you'd want that on the control side of the SSR?

Either way, good luck!
Paul

It seems to me that this would be a great place for a 4 pole ON-OFF-ON toggle switch, a couple of LEDs and a couple of relays.

Here is a switch that would work well
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1004P3T1B1M1QEH/EG2429-ND/378898

Here is a 2 pole relay rated at 30 Amps
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/T92P7D12-12/PB484-ND/365919

The LEDs would be rated for 12 VDC
You would also need a 12 VDC power supply

One switch pole controls power to both relays and associated LEDs
Wire the switch so that neither relay is on when the switch is on the center off position
Wire the relay contacts in series with your SSRs - one relay per SSR (this guarantees no power to either SSR when the switch is in the center off position)
Wire the LEDs in parallel with the relay coil so that the associated light comes on when the relay is turned on
The other three switch poles connect the temperature sensers in your brew rig to your PID

These selector switches are rated for AC and DC switching. There shouldn't be a problem to put inline between the PID and SSR. Another question, how would I wire a float switch for AC control for a pump? Those are not rated for that high of a load, correct? I am using the oscsys.com switches. Thanks.

Back