IIPA Carbonation Level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I’m bottling my PTE clone tomorrow. Not really sure what carbonation level I should be aiming for. At this stage I’m thinking 2.6, unless someone can give me a reason to aim higher or lower. I just tried a good Aussie IIPA that was very low in carbonation, and was wondering if they did it on purpose to highlight the hop aroma and flavour.

Good reason? All I can say is that I feel that (generally) heftier brews want less carbonation. Maybe someone can offer a reason or rationalization... or contradiction!

Good reason? All I can say is that I feel that (generally) heftier brews want less carbonation. Maybe someone can offer a reason or rationalization... or contradiction!
I guess that's the general approach. But I've done 11% abv Belgians at over 3 volumes, so there's always an exception. This is my first IIPA, so I don't have any prior experience to fall back on.

I never go above 2.4 volumes anymore. I hate huge pillowy heads and overcarbonation. And these effects are highly likely in any dry hopped beer. So if anything I might aim for like 2.2 or 2.3 volumes, just to keep things on the safer side. Then adjust from there as needed.

I never go above 2.4 volumes anymore. I hate huge pillowy heads and overcarbonation. And these effects are highly likely in any dry hopped beer. So if anything I might aim for like 2.2 or 2.3 volumes, just to keep things on the safer side. Then adjust from there as needed.
Great, I’ll bottle at 2.2 this time and go from there. I did kind of think 2.6 might have been on the high side. I read somewhere you don’t want IIPA’s to turn out ‘spritzy’ because that doesn’t complement the hop flavour and aroma.

Latest posts

Back