Ignorant fermentation/krausen question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom P

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just brewing a kit, Festival Razorback IPA, which I put on 7 days ago at 1.050. Its been at a consistent 16c (61f) and after pulling a test tonight it's at 1.026 with a very thick creamy krausen. There's no airlock activity, although I know this is not a good indication. I'm a little concerned that all is not as it should be. I don't know what yeast strain comes in the kit, so it could be a medium flocculation yeast and all could be normal? Picture of the krausen attached for advice/reassurance?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 20180409_205607.jpg
    20180409_205607.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
You still have active fermentation. It will continue to drop gravity. When that krausen drops then check your gravity

+1 to the above. That's a beautiful krausen. Just looked at the instructions, you do NOT need to do a secondary. I personally would drop the dry hops into the primary fermentation vessel once the krausen has dropped, then wait another 7 days. Once you have consistent hydrometer readings over 3 days, it's done. Follow the instructions for bottling (assuming they provided priming sugar) and leave them for 2 weeks.

61F is pretty cool for most ale yeast. Can you bring it up to 65-68? That would help it finish up.

I agree with with Yooper. 61F is great to pitch at, but creeping that temp up a little now should help a lot.

Back