Identifying wild strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
Looking for information on how I might definitively determine which wild organism(s) I have managed to catch. I have a strong suspicion that it is brett, but I want to confirm it, and ideally identify it.

What I did to catch it:
- Left starter wort outside over a weekend uncovered.
- Let it sit for a week or so. Stuff grew. It smelled estery.
- Hit it with ~30 ppm chlorine dioxide. (Should knock out most stuff except yeast, I *think*.) It sat for a few days while I got busy.
- Dumped the stuff that settled out into a fresh flask of starter.

After those steps, the flask smells yeasty/estery (pretty damn nice, actually) and is now developing a bubbly, dusty white pellicle. The tiny, tiny taste I sneaked before the pellicle formed had a good phenolic edge to it and was not at all unpleasant.

A) Does it sound like I've got brett?
B) How do I find out for sure? Are there tests I can get? A lab that can check for a reasonable fee?

Once I get a chance I'm going to plate it (malt agar is all I can do right now, but if anyone knows of inexpensive sources of WLD or LCSM...)

I live a couple of miles as the crow flies from Allagash, and they have successfully made coolship beers, so it's not out of the question that I've captured something useful. I just want to find out for sure. Thanks for any advice you can give!

First, post a pic. Many people with microscopes on here.

Second, culture it and separate some into a few vials.

Third, maybe a little digging will find out what yeasts live in your area.

I'm sure someone on here that does their own yeast counts can get their hands on some purchasable Brett and would find it a fun task to grab sample from you and try to decide the mystery themselves.

I actually would really enjoy if someone could define it.

Back