Possible (Probable) Cider Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodoesntknowhockey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I started a cider about 3 days ago and soon realized that I had made a mistake. In the spur of the moment, while pitching it I decided to add some organic ground cinnamon to add some flavor. I let it rip and went to bed. The next day, I got to thinking about my addition of cinnamon and realized I made the mistake of not sanitizing it before adding it to the brew. Immediately, I ran and checked it and noticed that it had a slight plastic-y smell and the cinnamon was clumping together by this white gooey substance which I assume is some sort of Lacto or brett infection- which probably came from the unsanitized cinnamon. I thought about it for a while and racked it to a second container, leaving a solid amount of the cinnamon at the bottom of the jug, and put the rest of the nasty stuff in a second container just to see how it will turn out.

My question is:
0) Is it even infected or could this be the yeast sticking to the cinnamon?
1) Was racking it a proper way to reduce the effects of the infection?
2) If not, what are some extra steps I can take to save all or some of this cider?
3) Even if the infection persists, is there any amount of aging or racking that will cause the harsh plastic flavor/smell to mellow out eventually?

The infection (if it is truly infected) definitely developed in the very early stages of the brew, which concerns me that it will multiply rapidly throughout fermentation. I'd like to save some of this cider but I have no clue if it is even worth trying. So far there has been no sign of a pellicle forming, just the sticky gooey stuff attaching to the cinnamon.

-Side note, I poured some of the nasty stuff into a glass and gave it a smell. It smelled almost like cigarette ashes or tobacco.

Thank you!

Ground spices are never a good idea, because they don't mix well. The powder will cling to the stuff that's floating around in the cider and may be visible as clumps. But they don't carry any bad organisms so an infection is highly unlikely. Just let it run its course.

Back