Identifying Hops in Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuelhof

Reaction score
Hey all,
Brewing my first batch today and my kit from Williams came with two packages of hops, flavoring and aroma. On the packages, they are identified as KCF 125 (flavor) and KSF 175 (aroma). Is there any way to figure out what types of hops I am using? They are pellet hops, so I don't think there would be any way to identify from them. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

PS. I email Williams customer service today, so if no one has any ideas, I will wait to hear from them early next week hopefully!

Sorry, I forgot to include all of that!

Belgian Harvest Ale using Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

If it helps, the IBU total is 33....

I'd guess goldings and saaz. if you know the amounts of each hops to go with the IBUs then you can figure out the AA% and round down the choices.

Unfortunately, there are no measurements on the package, and I haven't invested in a kitchen scale that weighs in small enough increments...

for a saison the hops used are generally goldings, saaz, sterling, tettnanger, or hallertauer. if you want to know which they are, you could try looking up the descriptions of each and giving them a whiff

Unfortunately, I heard back from Williams today, and they were no help...I was told they were not allowed to give out that information because it is proprietary....ugh!

you may want to try a different vendor for future batches - most vendors here have no problem sharing the ingredients, recipes, etc.

Austin, Brewmasters, Northern Brewer, Rebel, to name a few...

Yeah, I think that may be best...I was pretty disappointed when I received that message from them! Do they really think their recipe is THAT special?

I haven't purchased anything from Williams in years, I like to know what I'm brewing. Austin Homebrew includes the complete recipe with each kit, can't beat that.

Latest posts

Back