Ideas for fall beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Going to be brewing in 14 days and would like to have some input on my second batch and first ever fall batch theme beer. So help me out here should it be an oatmeal stout or an imperial IPA?

I'm thinking about the same thing, I think I'll go with a porter, I hate pumpkin porter, maybe I'll try turkey ;).

Matt up North's Pliny The Middle Child IPA has gotten
pretty famous around here for Fall and Winter. Nice medium body
and strength , warming and caramely. The first origional recipe is it.:mug:

Pumpkin ale. A broader scope of people might enjoy a pumpkin ale rather than the porter -- Although both sound great right now! Brewing a batch of pumpkin ale in a few weeks myself.

I was going to brew KingBrianI's Common Room ESB. Sounds like it will fit a fall in the PNW (my hood) perfectly.

All kind of brown ales are my favorites: milds, nutty Northern English browns, hoppy American browns. Perfect for the fall. I have a mild in primary right now.

Just based on temperature, I'm figuring on brewing Saison that will be ready to drink in early fall (hot fermentation), and a Scottish Ale that will brew in cool fall temps and be drinkable in Winter.

NB Bourbon porter for X-Mas. Nut brown ale for the fall. I'm brewing just my 2nd and 3rd batches ever next week, and batch 1 isn't even finished yet bottle conditioning! I've gone all in!

I say brown ale . . . something like a Tumbler maybe?

I've already got the Vienna and Oktoberfest conditioning, planning on the pumpkin for Thanksgiving, so last weekend I brewed up Yooper's Fat Squirrel Clone. Can't wait for that!

am I really the only one who suggests an oktoberfest?!

I'd suggest it too, but isn't it usually a lager? I was interested in trying an Oktoberfest, but I don't have the ability to lager, and I don't know how well it could come out using ale yeast.

am I really the only one who suggests an oktoberfest?!

Yes, because those are traditionally brewed in March or April and lagered until Sept/Oct for Oktoberfest. A little late for that now. :D Biermuncher does have a quick turn around "okotberfast" that is an ale if you're interested. Its pretty popular.

I vote a Strong Scotch Ale.

Yes, because those are traditionally brewed in March or April and lagered until Sept/Oct for Oktoberfest. A little late for that now. :D Biermuncher does have a quick turn around "okotberfast" that is an ale if you're interested. Its pretty popular.

I vote a Strong Scotch Ale.

Edwort also has one that uses WLP029 I think

My next brew (which I also wanted fall themed) is going to be an oatmeal brown. I think I might try a 3 gal version of a smoked porter. Don't have a big enough pot for 5 gal and the same % of smoked malt.

I would vote brown ale as well.

I'm planning on doing one with US-04 and brett c here soon just as a change of pace. Probably using Cascade hops. Formulating recipe...

I usually brew an amber but for the cooler weather I want to do a batch of "gingered" brown ale. There are various methods to introduce the ginger but I think I will start with an extract flavor and follow directions. I am also looking for a compatiable all grain brown ale recipe.

I was thinking of a dark ale with English DME & spicy hops like Perle,Haulertau with Czech saaz. Maybe brew up my APA again. My whiskely ale should be good come September.

Back