Ideal Time to Plant Rhizomes in Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in central/lower Michigan I've never grown hops but I really wanted to try it out this year. However, time got away from me and I never got around to getting anything set up to grow some. I've since decided that next year is my year to grow hops, but I was just curious about the ideal time frame to get the rhizomes in the ground. Am I entirely too late this year to get a few vines growing?

My plan for next year was to wait for the first day where the temperatures reached above 60F (should be sometime in April or May) and dig my post hole (ideally however many feet are below the frost line). Then I can get a few rhizomes in the ground and let them grow!

I'm no expert, but I would still throw them in the ground. My plants came last year in early June, and gave me one bine (in Grand Rapids). You're not going to get much the first year, but getting them in the ground now will give them a chance to grow roots and they'll probably give you more cones next year.

I'm only in my second year, but hops seem to be a long term thing. So I wouldn't want to wait :)

Ok great..I didn't know what to expect within the first year. I want to plant some centennial and I've read that they need a couple years to really get going strong.

I'm assuming that after harvest, I can take down the twine/guidewires and leave the pole standing in my yard. My plan is to cut the bottom out of some 5 gallon buckets and dig a hole and place them into the ground, so as to separate the potting soil a little from the yard so hopefully the hop plant is a bit contained. Also, this way their roots can make it to the actual ground as well.

Is there any way to prepare the root area for winter? Or will they come back no matter what?

if your life is anything like mine...I would recommend preparing, tilling, digging and planting now. If you have or can get the plants get them in the ground.

Another thing if nextspring you wait until above 60 IMO you waited too long these roots are hardy get then in after groubg thaws.

I would say that it is not too late... I am a little bit higher north than you and last year, I took cuttings from a plant around June 24th and put them in ground when roots had formed around July 5th and they all survived winter.

I totally agree with the last two replies. I purchased a small plant from Country Side Greenhouse rather than purchasing a Rhizome. I planted mine last June, and got a couple of cones but this year it's already overwhelming.

Plant where you have some good drainage, I think that's what's helping me so much.

Good luck! :mug:

Agreed to all the timing replies.

I did a bucket setup for mine as we are renting a house and eventually I just want to be able to transport the rhizomes by taking the buckets out of the ground. I ran some lines up an old tree and they are making their way up them!

If you have a rhizome, get it in the ground. They don't keep.

Next year, plan on ordering them in the Feb or March timeframe unless your local Homebrew shop is getting supplies.

Right now, go with a live plant like others mentioned.

The bottomless bucket is a good idea but go larger...garbage can. The container keeps the rhizomes from spreading hops to your entire yard while the bottomless part allows for proper drainage and allows the roots to go down to where they will allow the plant to grow.

Back