idea for an electric brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge difference in cosmetics between the 2 for the same price... I'd vote for #1 on looks but the husky one can hold 3000lbs... The castors on the costco one look like they would buckle under half that weight. It doesnt say what kind of weight it would support that I could find but it weighs almost twice as much.

If you put casters on the Husky one. It would lower the weight capacity down to about the same as the Costco.

I like the fanciness of the Costco one.

Or you could go to Home Depot's lumber department and look on the culled lumber cart and make an all wood stand for less than 10% of that price.

3 kettles, 25 lbs of grain give or take and up to 30 gallons of water puts me over 330. 300 seems really low.

If you put casters on the Husky one. It would lower the weight capacity down to about the same as the Costco.

I like the fanciness of the Costco one.

Or you could go to Home Depot's lumber department and look on the culled lumber cart and make an all wood stand for less than 10% of that price.

Well that's true, but damn, the Costco one is so cool looking! It would be a nice contrast to the stainless.

I built my own (Its in my build thread)..cost less than $90 bucks to make and has over 150 brews on it to date and counting.

3 kettles, 25 lbs of grain give or take and up to 30 gallons of water puts me over 330. 300 seems really low.

From what I see, is that costco one is not really the type of bench you would find in a real workbench environment... Its more the type of thing you would see in a designer garage with a checkered tiled floor and a Porsche sitting next to it... I believe its marketed more for the looks than function. something for the perfect metrosexual mancave lol. That said I do love the looks of it. I wonder what the gauge of the steel is that its made of... could be like the cheap powder coated outdoor furniture you see at sams club...

I coudnt use it anyway because of the location of all my hard plumbed lines and rims where the drawers are.. im just using an old 5ft desk.

Im just reading the reviews.... havent found one person using it in a garage or as a workbench... most use it as a tv stand , desk or furniture in their studio..

A pine table is cheaper.

True, Its not about cost to many though... To some the brewery is the most precious piece of art in the mancave... It seems to be sign of social stature to others like the car in the drive or any "name brand" sporting good.. and to other its a giant engineering toy like a kit from radioshack or an erector set.
I'll admit Ive seen a lot of home breweries here that make me envious.. some day... for now though I have more important uses for my money.
My brewery has already morphed into something that if I saw it when I first got into this hobby, I would have thought was over the top and a bit blingy... funny how that seems to work with any hobby...

I ran into this dilemma when I was building my setup. I ended up building a table. Here's a photo of my table with my old keggles on it. I have drawers on the right for everyday stuff. The pumps are in the middle on a pullout drawer and I have more storage on the right.

Brewstand.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight capacity stated for the Costco. I figure the number they give is very conservative for lawsuit reasons. But if it did collapse and you wanted to take legal action and you were over the capacity you would be out of luck.
Maybe you could find some weight figures on the casters. But still if you were over the limit and disaster........

I ran into this dilemma when I was building my setup. I ended up building a table. Here's a photo of my table with my old keggles on it. I have drawers on the right for everyday stuff. The pumps are in the middle on a pullout drawer and I have more storage on the right.

Wow! That's some quality carpentry right there. And here I am planning to build my electric brew stand this weekend out of 2x4s. :rockin: :mug:

"True, Its not about cost to many though... To some the brewery is the most precious piece of art in the mancave... It seems to be sign of social stature to others like the car in the drive or any "name brand" sporting good.. and to other its a giant engineering toy like a kit from radioshack or an erector set."
Agreed. I could build something and I'm sure it would be nice and functional. But one of the reasons I'm building a new system is that I want to to look nice. I think the Costco table would make a sweet platform for the spike kettles.

well, I went to go and get it and it is sold out at every costco within 100 miles. Guess I'm building or going stainless.

AS luck would have it, my wife was at Eagle Bargain a few hours ago(in the Portland area this is a store that gets returns, overstock etc from Costco and resells) and low and behold there was a boxed wooden workbench that was returned from Costco, $75 off. It will be the new brew stand!

Back