Ice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosBrewing

Reaction score
I have read that using ice as make up water in brewing is a bad thing. I think it is a quick way to cool your wort. My brew kit says to boil 2 gallons and then add to 3 or 3.5 gallons of roomtemp water. Instead of having to use a wort cooler (because I don't have one) just throw 10 or 12 pounds of ice in place of a gallon of water. :tank:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! You have absolutely no idea what kind of sanitary conditions the ice was frozen in. Or if you are taking it from your freezer, you should know that your refrigerator/freezer is one of the most unsanitary places in your home. Do yourself a favor, save $35 worth of beer and just buy a wort chiller or use an ICE BATH. But for god sakes, don't put it directly in your hot wort.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! You have absolutely no idea what kind of sanitary conditions the ice was frozen in. Or if you are taking it from your freezer, you should know that your refrigerator/freezer is one of the most unsanitary places in your home. Do yourself a favor, save $35 worth of beer and just buy a wort chiller or use an ICE BATH. But for god sakes, don't put it directly in your hot wort.

I agree...I have done it before (a few times :drunk:) and never had a problem, but it was just a matter of time. I've heard many people have problems. you are better off using an ice bath. I have since built a wort chiller for under $30 and highly recommend it.

--cheers

Anticipating a rebuttal that goes along the lines of "But I use that same ice all of the time in other beverages and never have a problem..." True, but you also aren't putting that ice (that contains nasties) in an environment that is just about as close to perfect for reproducing and setting up shop for weeks on end before someone will come knocking. Your body would kill any nasties in those few ice cubes about as soon as it enters your body because there simply hasn't been enough of time for the nasties to grow an army. So basically, if you put that ice in your beer, your beer becomes an incubator. Let the nasties in and they will destroy your beer.

When I was doing extract I used spring water. I would always put 2 gallons in the fridge the night before and used it as my top off water. You never know where the ice has been.....rather your own freezer/ice trays or at the ice plant.

I did it once, no problems. I was doing an experiment to replicate Alton Brown's method. The beer came out fine. Using that ice is probably playing with fire though.

I've done it before (years ago when i was first starting out) with no problems. If i HAD to do it again today, it would definitely be more controlled:

1) sanitize the freezing vessel (empty gallon water jug) with star san
2) boil water then cool prior to puting in sanitized jug, THEN freeze
3) immerse the frozen jug in star san prior to cutting for use
4) cut frozen jug with a sanitized knife

I probably did about 20 extract batches and cooled the wort with ice from the market. Never had a problem. There a quite a few others on this board who do the same thing.

All of the water used for bagged ice is R/O. As long as you get a bag without holes in it you will be fine.

I've never bought a bag of ice that didn't have holes in it. Fill an ice bag full of water and you'll have a good sprinkler!

bottom line...chill in water/ice bath and if you get the "Homebrew itch/addiction" go get/build a wort chiller.

When I was doing extract I used spring water. I would always put 2 gallons in the fridge the night before and used it as my top off water. You never know where the ice has been.....rather your own freezer/ice trays or at the ice plant.

+1

I've done this beofre. Spring water in the fridge.

Frozen water, ice, isn't much colder than 35F water from the fridge.

bottom line...chill in water/ice bath and if you get the "Homebrew itch/addiction" go get/build a wort chiller.

+1

With my bathtub and 20# of ice, I chilled my wort down in about 5 minutes. Screw the sink, use the bathtub. More cold water = faster heat exchange.

I've been on the cheap end also. Spent my first available brew $ on keg. I bought a large rubbermaid tub that Home Depot and Lowe's sells after christmas. It works great with 20# of ice and water, better than the sink. It also doubles to help with fermentation. I put my fermenters in it, 8 inches of water, wrap an old t-shirt around the fermenter and drop frozen water bottles in as needed.

no need to completely freeze it. Put a few SEALED 1gal bottles of drinking water in the freezer before you start brewing. If you time it right, they will be nearly freezing temp when you mix them with your wort.

no need to completely freeze it. Put a few SEALED 1gal bottles of drinking water in the freezer before you start brewing. If you time it right, they will be nearly freezing temp when you mix them with your wort.

+1

agreed, this works great. unless...is there some drawback? I mean, some chemical, biological, yeastilogical, brewilogical reason not to?

Well I did not use ice. I just finished brewing and now it is in the primary with fresh yeast. I just put the pot in the sink and used a bung to plug the drain mostly, and ran cold water while stirring the wort. I am glad that there are strong opinions on this topic. Its an extract IPA kit and I can't wait till I get to drink it:mug:!

I am also from the 'I have done it before...but...' camp. Probably not the best idea. What I did before making (for about $25 I might add) a wort chiller was when I started brewing I would boil water in a 2 quart saucepan for 10 min (to sterilize). Then put the sauce pan, with a lid on it directly into the freezer. After a couple of hours when I was ready to chill wort I would add the nearly frozen sanitized water as needed to get to temp.

Whatever you decide, good luck and happy brewing!

Back