Small Batch Chiller/Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I'm getting back into brewing after a 5 year break, but on a smaller scale, (2 -2.5 gallon batches). Most of the equipment for home brewing seems to be aimed at 5 gallon (and above). I had an idea for a wort chiller/fermentation system. I was hoping to get some feedback before I spend the money.
I'm thinking of using a 3.5 gallon Brewtech mini bucket with a chiller coil in it, hooked to an ice chest with another chiller coil hooked to the return, (so I'm not pumping hot water back into the ice water), a 12v submersible fountain pump in the ice chest, hooked to an Inkbird temp controller. My theory is that I can pour the wort into the brewbucket and chill it down to pitching temp, and then just set the temp for primary fermentation. Then all I have to do is check to make sure there's always ice in the ice chest.

I think this would work well for you. Now that SS Brewtech has attached the base and added handles, the BrewBucket Mini is really a great little fermenter. Another option if you're looking to go with stainless is to ferment in a 3-gallon keg.

BUT your cooling solution is likely going to require as much space and money (and more hassle) as a small chest freezer and an Inkbird. SS Brewtech will charge you $100 for their cooling "kit"; you can probably DIY it for $50, but not too much less. Add in the pump and ice chest and you're probably breaking even, even with a new chest freezer. Also, the advantages of having the coil in the beer vs. just controlling the ambient temps will be lessened for small batches (higher surface area to volume.)

I think this would work well for you. Now that SS Brewtech has attached the base and added handles, the BrewBucket Mini is really a great little fermenter. Another option if you're looking to go with stainless is to ferment in a 3-gallon keg.

BUT your cooling solution is likely going to require as much space and money (and more hassle) as a small chest freezer and an Inkbird. SS Brewtech will charge you $100 for their cooling "kit"; you can probably DIY it for $50, but not too much less. Add in the pump and ice chest and you're probably breaking even, even with a new chest freezer. Also, the advantages of having the coil in the beer vs. just controlling the ambient temps will be lessened for small batches (higher surface area to volume.)
That chiller coil I put in the picture is $39.99. When I brewed before I had the chest freezer hooked to the inkbird setup in my garage. I'm in Phoenix, so in the summer it wasn't an issue. But this morning it was 38°F in my garage. I don't want to get into cooling AND heating again. The chest freezer I had quit working back then. I was pretty much done with brewing by then so I just junked it. Since I quit brewing in 2019, I took up woodworking - so all the space in my garage that used to house all my brew gear, is now workbenches, tablesaws, miter saws, router tables, etc. The chest freezer out there now is full of groceries. Really no room for a second one. I can set the brewbucket/ice chest up in the laundry room, (which stays 75° year-round), so all I have to worry about is cooling. And when I'm not fermenting, I can store the bucket and ice chest out of the way.

My goal this time around is to really just brew small batch imperial stouts, (only), in my kitchen, in an afternoon. There are plenty of decent breweries around when I want to drink other styles, and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars turning my garage into a nano brewery (again). I love to sip on a good bourbon BA Imperial Stout at the end of the night. But it's hit or miss finding good ones, and at $30+ per bottle, I can't afford to drink them as often as I'd like.

Just my opinion, but if you're just doing small batches with small gear, use an immersion chiller to get it to pitching temp and then throw the bucket in a small fridge that you can add temp control to.

I considered that. The system I described above incorporates the immersion chiller and temp control fermentation all in one. It's portable, and only requires a 12v pump. It's $150 for the SS bucket and $80 for 2 chiller coils. I have the ice chest, pump and inkbird. Plus, I'm just cooling the wort as opposed to having to cool the inside of a fridge for 3 gallons.

Back