Kilgore's Stout/Question/Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20230729_154210331.jpg

I really need to figure out how to post pictures. Just a quick question. Currently as I type this. I am "cooling" my wort in my bath tub in an "ice bath". I use quotes because the bath was tepid, and I had five bags of ice. Yet, my wort is still hot. I was supposed to cool it down to at least 100 degrees at a 'rapid rate'. I want to ferment this still and transfer it to my 5 gallon bubbler, regardless... is that a wise decision? In other words, this cooling is taking MUCH too long. Advice?

View attachment 825980
I really need to figure out how to post pictures. Just a quick question. Currently as I type this. I am "cooling" my wort in my bath tub in an "ice bath". I use quotes because the bath was tepid, and I had five bags of ice. Yet, my wort is still hot. I was supposed to cool it down to at least 100 degrees at a 'rapid rate'. I want to ferment this still and transfer it to my 5 gallon bubbler, regardless... is that a wise decision? In other words, this cooling is taking MUCH too long. Advice?
You are going to need at least 2 changes of water to cool that wort rapidly. Fill the tub to about the level of the wort in the pot. Use a spoon to stir the wort and a different tool to stir the bathwater. That will drop the wort temperature fairly quickly and then it will nearly stop as the bathwater has absorbed the heat and become warm. Drain that water out and refill the tub, repeat the procedure to reduce the wort temperature another several degrees. Now, depending on the tap water temperature, either change out the water one more time (if cool water) or start dumping in the bags of ice into the bathwater to reduce the temperature some more.

Cooling the wort quickly is a relative term. Faster is desired, slower is achievable. Faster cooling gives you a great cold break. Slower still works. You want the wort cool within, say, half an hour, not 3 days.

Invest in an imersion wort chiller, a fish tank pump and circulate ice water from an adjacent container/ice chest to get the final 20-30 degrees of cooling. For $100, it will be money well spent.

BTW: Us Kilgore's are a hardy crew. Good luck with the Stout!

AFAIK, cooling rapidly isn't as important for a style of beer as it is just one way to shorten the time that wort might by chance get infected.

If you aren't going to invest or DIY yourself a good chiller, then consider going the route of no-chill brewers. And that can be anywhere from just putting a lid on the boil kettle and leaving it till the next day or putting it in a plastic container or bag that is rated for boiling hot liquids and letting your beer cool overnight.

You can search here and on the internet for no-chill brewing and learn all about it.

Everyone of your reply's were insightful. I appreciate it.

A DIY wort chiller? I believe a coworker of mine mentioned using copper wiring and immersing that into his bucket (1990's) during his transition. As for the no-chill brews.

Do stouts/porters require a chill out? There is no exception, no arguments, etc? Or could I possibly cover my next brew with a lid and just leave it overnight, then transfer it into my bubbler/carboy, add my yeast, lock it and put it away for the fermentation process? What would happen to that if I were to go that route?

I agree using a lid is a good first step.

If you are going to cool in a bath, you can drain the water and refill with cool water once the water starts to feel warm.

I use no chill often and haven't noticed any I'll effects (though many on here will disagree). I just put the lid on, cover with Saran wrap or foil, and wait until the next day (it sometimes takes 1.5 days). The key is you need to keep the wort as sanitary as you can while it cools.

And I agree with everyone else that a stout is usually a very forgiving beer. Oxidation doesn't matter nearly as much as some other styles, and it's really hard to mess up the color. =c).

Good Luck.

I appreciate the swift replies from you all. The next batch I will follow this advice (if I remember, I do document everything via notepad). I can always post here everytime.

I may wind up posting shortly, O.J Spiced Meade.

A DIY wort chiller? I believe a coworker of mine mentioned using copper wiring and immersing that into his bucket (1990's) during his transition.
Are you sure it wasn't copper tubing? Copper tubing comes in coils at the plumbing supply and the big box building supply stores. 3/8th inch tubing I think is what most use. You can google or search this forum for how to info.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/show-us-your-diy-wort-chillers.176757/
Not certain what you are asking about no-chill and porters and stouts.

No chill isn't really about the style of beer. It's just letting your wort cool on it's own to pitch temp. That can take some time without some sort of cooling method. So usually putting it in the FV is the next day from brew day and then you pitch the yeast.

Last edited:
Are you sure it wasn't copper tubing? Copper tubing comes in coils at the plumbing supply and the big box building supply stores. 3/8th inch tubing I think is what most use. You can google or search this forum for how to info.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/show-us-your-diy-wort-chillers.176757/
Not certain what you are asking about no-chill and porters and stouts.

No chill isn't really about the style of beer. It's just letting your wort cool on it's own to pitch temp. That can take some time without some sort of cooling method. So usually putting it in the FV is the next day from brew day and then you pitch the yeast.

One of the concerns people raise with no chill is the extended exposure to oxygen while the wort cools. However, oxygen exposure is less of a concern with stouts because people generally don't notice the taste difference as much. So, no chill for stout is a bit less of a concern, at least as to that one issue.

Back