Ice Wine/Brandy methanol removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadDrinker

Reaction score
I recently made some peach wine that my girlfriend and dad talked me into making. None of us really liked it much and I couldn't stand it. As a last resort, I think I'm gonna do a freeze concentration. Is there a way I can make sure that the methanol is removed? My cousin who makes moonshine said he doesn't think there's any more than trace amounts of methanol in freeze concentrated wine but I don't want to be too sure (If I'm wrong, please correct me). Is there a way I can remove the methanol perhaps by boiling it at the boiling point of methanol but stopping the boil before losing the ethanol?

In short, no.

But even though freeze concentration concentrates everything including methanol an ethanol, it's no worry. It's generally an insignificant amount, and when you think about it the treatment for methanol toxicity is ethanol. So it's really not at all a worry.

The one thing that can occur and be unpleasant is if the fermentation was "hot", and there are a lot of fusel alcohols. Concentrating the fusels can give you a nasty headache. But that's about it.

I've only done it a few times, from my experience, if I didn't like the original product, the freeze concentration doesn't help. but it doesn't make it worse, it doesn't concentrate the bad

I say go for it. if only for the experience.

who knows? you may actually like it better afterwards

In short, no.

But even though freeze concentration concentrates everything including methanol an ethanol, it's no worry. It's generally an insignificant amount, and when you think about it the treatment for methanol toxicity is ethanol. So it's really not at all a worry.

The one thing that can occur and be unpleasant is if the fermentation was "hot", and there are a lot of fusel alcohols. Concentrating the fusels can give you a nasty headache. But that's about it.

what Yoop said exactly. you're not increasing the percentage of methanol relative to the ethanol. and yes, if you did start going blind from methanol poisoning, the treatment is hydration and ethanol (Beer). Since your body will process the ethanol in favour over the methanol, and the fluids will push through your body ridding you of any further unprocessed methanol in your system.

common treatment in 3rd world countries, and apparently also for doggies who accidentally drink antifreeze (although in that case, the pup was put on a vodka IV drip)

Meaddrinker...if it's bottled already, just stash it and forget about it. Try it again in about year. You may be very surprised. Plum, prickley pear, banana, and apple have all surprised and even shocked me at how much better they were a year later. From wow that's terrible to wow that's nice!

After freezing for 3 or 4 times each bottle and disposing of the ice, boil it up to 175F for a couple of minutes the alcohol.. use a kettle with temperature setting, that should evaporate any methanol, ethanol evaporates at a higher temp. Dont go over 175F

Boiling point of methanol=148.46° fahrenheit
Boiling point of ethanol=173.07° fahrenheit.
Boiling points may be different in a water/sugar/alcohol mixture, though.
I'll agree with the above- if you conduct a good fermentation there should be only small amounts of methanol and freeze concentration shouldn't be dangerous or cause removal to be needed.

Back