IBU contributions from post boil addtions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoconoParadiso

Reaction score
Hi all!

Do whirlpool hop additions add IBUs? I would like to know for general purposes when creating recipes, but also because I had an unusually long wort chill time for a brew last night. I brewed a higher volume of wort then usual and ran out of ice during the ice bath.

I added an ounce of hops immediately after putting the wort in the ice bath. It cooled down to 120 in about 10 minutes, and then down to about 100 at about 40 minutes, but then the ice was gone and took about another 70 minutes to get down to 70. So overall about 2 hours to get down to 70 where I pitched the yeast.

I've been trying to perfect my IBUs for mild to moderate amount of bitterness and starting wondering if the long chill time would add a few IBUs an bump my bitterness up.

Any insight into this out there?

Thanks!!

If you chilled down to 120 fast, I wouldn't expect much IBU contribution at all. But yes, if you steep hot after boil but before chilling, you will still extract bitterness (and drive off flavor and aroma) although at a much slower rate than when actually boiling.

BeerSmith has math for IBUs from whirlpool hops, although I can't vouch for how accurate it is, since any IBU calculations seem to be an educated guess at best.

That's what I was hoping. I definitely like my IPAs to be on the mild side of moderate bitterness, plus I'm featuring Mosaic and really want to optimize the flavor and aroma.

I'll sleep a little better tonight, thanks!

Hop oils will continue to isomerize until the wort gets down to 170F, just calculate anything below that temperature as you would dry hopping. In reality whirlpool hop additions, sometimes called knockout hop additions, will contribute more aroma but not much bitterness. In my hop forward beers I add a five minute aroma hopping to the kettle, a knockout hop addition and a dry hop addition to make sure I get huge aroma even after the beer's been packaged for months.

Echoing, but it really depends on how quickly your wort temp dropped below ~170°F. I use whirlpools to infuse flavors into my beers whether they be hops, or other spices/ flavors. However, I don't begin cooling my wort until after the whirlpool.

Hop oils will isomerize until you get below the ~170°F threshold so you're adding bitterness up until then.

What are you going for, aroma or flavor?

Back