I want a beer but I better not...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkncode

Reaction score
Just had minor surgery on my arm at my doctors today. He was fishing out a piece of palm tree spike That came off in my arm about 3 weeks ago when i took one spike quite deeply in my arm when I was beginning the process of removing the tree. I pulled it out and thought it all came out but a bump formed.

First time I have had surgery with only local ansthetic. Didn't go well with my needle phobia but its done now. No way I could watch. I now have a vial with the 8mmx1.3mm piece of palm that broke off the spike that origionally went into and up my arm about 25mm / 1". I'm supprised it didnt become infected, just caused a big lump.

Had the surgery late morning then went to work.
Really felt like having a couple of beers after it but both the antibiotics and the pamphlet from the doctors say no alcohol for a few days.
Only 3 days of antibiotics so you can bet I will put a couple of my "buggered knee tripels" in the fridge for the weekend.

I guess I better follow the rules as the antibiotics already make me feel a bit fuzzey in my head and caused minor headachs and ringing in my ears etc.
The antibiotic side effects made it quite trickey to focus on some software I'm writing at work during the afternoon. At least the local ansthetic was still working then. The chemist warned my the particular antibiotics really do need to be taken with food so i have to go from my usual two meals a day to three lol.

So forced dry spell for me till the weekend. Then I not only will have a beer or two I am planning to do a brew since i haven't brewed for nearly a month.

Just after the stress of the surgery caused by my needle phobia etc i really felt like having a couple of good homebrews.

This remains of the spike was about 5mm deep and hearly parallel to my skin. I'm still very supprised it didnt become infected.
20180801_122315.jpg

Pretty hard to not have a beer after that. Glad you're ok, good luck on your next brew!

Glad to see you're on the mend.

I've got a sylvester palm that forms large needles. They are sharp. I use a pole saw to trim it, and I've had those suckers come down and impale me (shoulder area usually). I'm scared to death of that particular job. Fortunately, I haven't had any parts left inside me afterwards.

I hate to say it, but /\ this. Put 6 in the fridge though so you’ll have some for the following day too.

Yep beer is in fridge but not touching it until at least the antibiotics are done so at least sunday and since they said stiches out wednesday next week ish probably ok by then. For now the kegerator sits neglected. I put some of bottles my 9.5% belgisn tripel in the fridge for when everything things settle down.

It was one of those times i would have really liked a beer but knew better so didn't.

Its still quite sore today. Only managed half a day at work as usung the computer mouse really annoyed it plus the side effects or the antibiotics making me feel a bit dizzy and light headed affecting concentration got made a whole lot worse when i took pain killers at lunch. Sefinitly not a combination i would want to add beer to. Yeaterday afternoon the locsl ansthetic was still working.

Since work is paying me to engineer software and not stare at the screen blankly i called it a day.
Rideing my ebike home I could feel my balance was off so took it extra slow. Luckilly all but about 100m is in bicycle paths so no cars.

Dressing change in morning and apparently they will check for signs of infection etc.
I'm glad i only have a couple of days of antibiotics left as those ones dont agree with me. If they want to give me more then hopefully they can find a different one. Found out that my mum is alergic to the antibiotic I'm on so maybe genetics play a part.

This palm hadnt formed a nice trunk, juat lots of stems with spikes. Just left neglected and never pruned but the fronds started at 6foot. Over my fence. I cut with a hand saw but a pole saw would havd got me some clearance from the spikes.

Think I will do an all grain pale ale brew maybe sunday after the antibiotics are funished. Don't really want to be feeling a bit dizzy/light headed while brewing as thats probably a bit much of a safety risk.

Which antibiotic is it? I was on a cocktail of 3 once and the doc held up one of them and said "we always say don't drink alcohol with antibiotics just as a precaution but with this one we really mean it. Don't do it". It was Metronidazole as I recall.

Nah. See. You need to drink a six pack. The alcohol will thin out your blood and make it easier for the medicine to travel in your system. It'll also make you feel better and feeling better makes you better. In addition to that, if you have any ghosts in your blood, the alcohol will help flush them out.

Glad I could help.

Which antibiotic is it? I was on a cocktail of 3 once and the doc held up one of them and said "we always say don't drink alcohol with antibiotics just as a precaution but with this one we really mean it. Don't do it". It was Metronidazole as I recall.

Yeah, that's a big one on the liver, so you really shouldn't touch anything that impacts your liver function when on it (like acetominophen or alcohol), plus in combination with alcohol it can give you a roaring headache and abdominal pain.

Yeah, that's a big one on the liver, so you really shouldn't touch anything that impacts your liver function when on it (like acetominophen or alcohol), plus in combination with alcohol it can give you a roaring headache and abdominal pain.
I took their good advice and abstained. With 3000mg per day I had dizziness, metallic taste, ear ringing and Delhi belly. Didn't feel like a beer at all. Damn tropical infection. I think the docs looked at the cost of the tests needed to isolate it and just decided to nuke the critter from orbit!

I had a surgery with a 3 day hospital stay afterwords, you bet I resumed drinking when I got home, I started slow though.

Back