I used the WRONG ingredient .... what will my beer taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
I just realized that I wrote the ingredients down wrong for a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone recipe that I found on the web. It was supposed to be this:

1/2 lb 60 crystal
4 lb light malt extract
2 1/2 lb light DME
2 oz. Tettnanger (bittering)
1/2 oz. Tettnanger (aroma)
1/4 oz. Hallerttau (flavor)
1/4 oz. Hallerttau (dry)

I did everything correctly except for the 2 1/2 lbs of light DME. Instead I used DARK DME. What effect will using dark DME have on this beer?

I just realized that I wrote the ingredients down wrong for a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone recipe that I found on the web. It was supposed to be this:

1/2 lb 60 crystal
4 lb light malt extract
2 1/2 lb light DME
2 oz. Tettnanger (bittering)
1/2 oz. Tettnanger (aroma)
1/4 oz. Hallerttau (flavor)
1/4 oz. Hallerttau (dry)

I did everything correctly except for the 2 1/2 lbs of light DME. Instead I used DARK DME. What effect will using dark DME have on this beer?

It'll probably taste better. No worries.

It will be darker... jk.

Basically, you'll end up with their winter seasonal - a little darker in color, maybe a slightly more roasty, caramelly flavor.

I would expect a pleasant surprise.

IT WILL BE BEER.

It will also (most likely) taste like something that can't be bought. Enter it into a beer competition.;)

+1 on just being darker. You might get more caramel or roast flavours, depending on how the dark extract is made, but it'll be good still I bet.

It's going to jump from 7srm to about 21 srm
pint-7.png

pint-21.png

more the color of a brown ale.

sounds like a happy accident to me. bet it's going to be tasty!

Actually, my original (and still is) plan was to use the SA Boston Lager recipe, but with Safale S-05 yeast. Temps here in Dallas are a little too up and down to lager without a fermentation chamber. Since I don't have a fermentation chamber I went ahead and used an ale yeast.

Dark lagers aren't all that common in the US, but they can be very tasty. Even if you don't lager them.

It's probably going to be horrible, and you should mail it to me for taste testing. I'll let you know if you should drink the rest of it or not (I have a feeling that you may need to send the rest to me for disposal though)

Back