I told myself I wasn't going to worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aopisa

Reaction score
I brewed for the first time in a couple of decades on Saturday. It is a 1.5 gallon batch of an English Ale recipe using DME and steeping grains. The yeast is Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale. O.G was 1.045. Fermentation has been at a fairly constant 64-66 degrees.

Within a few hours there was visible fermentation occurring. By Sunday the airlock was going crazy and there was a pretty good krausen layer. Last night it was still going good, but a little slower. By this morning activity had slowed to about one bubble per minute and the krausen was gone.

Last night the temperature was creeping up to the high 60's so I put a few ice packs around the carboy to drop it down a few degrees. Did I crash it?

I just can't remember if this is something I have seen before. I know 1728 is a great yeast, but can behave unpredictably at times.

Should I worry or just ride it out until Saturday before I take a SG reading?

Almost all my brews stop bubbling after 3-4 days. That doesn't mean it's completely done fermenting, though. I'd leave it alone for a total of 2 weeks, then check the gravity. I bet it'll be done. You may want to just let the temp rise a little after a week or so to let the yeast clean up.

After 20 a year break there are some things that I remember very well and others that are just a total blank. I guess I do not remember fermentation just slamming on the brakes.

After 20 a year break there are some things that I remember very well and others that are just a total blank. I guess I do not remember fermentation just slamming on the brakes.

Don't worry... Be happy...

Congrats on coming back to brewing! I bet the hobby is much different from when you left!?

Al Gore's internet has really taken off ;), there are a ton of home brewer products to choose from, lot's and lot's of information out there...

Anyway, glad you are back and I agree with Kevin79. I think you made beer!!!

:mug:

Don't worry... Be happy...

Congrats on coming back to brewing! I bet the hobby is much different from when you left!?

Al Gore's internet has really taken off ;), there are a ton of home brewer products to choose from, lot's and lot's of information out there...

Anyway, glad you are back and I agree with Kevin79. I think you made beer!!!

:mug:

Of course turning water, malt, hops and yeast into beer has not changed, yet there are some great new advances.

The variety of yeast and hops is astounding. BIAB did not exist. I don't know why we never thought of making less than 5 gallons either.

And of course there wasn't a place like this to get answers almost instantly!

Thanks!

I have a one gallon IPA that is doing like you said, not worried just letting the yeast do their thing. I did a hefeweizen a couple weeks ago and for the first couple of days my fermenter was acting like it had one non stop fart for about 4 days and then slowed down. It was all but stopped within the week but I let it sit for two weeks.

I really felt like I did everything correctly, but it is the brewer's right to find something to worry about. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back