I think I racked to secondary too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmug

Reaction score
Brewed the DOZE black IPA recipe and I had an initial gravity of 1.07. After 2 weeks I racked over to a secondary to dry hop. At this time I took a gravity reading and it was still a bit high 0.026. Not sur what the final gravity should be because morebeer never has it on their recipes.

My first question is, when racking to a secondary should I try to transfer a lot of the yeast that sits on the bottom of my primary? I didn't.

Secondly, will my brew continue to ferment in the secondary, hopefully getting under 1.02?

Thirdly, in general, should you wait to fermentation is complete before racking to a secondary?

there are about a thousand posts in here about the primary/secondary thing, and i'm sure you will get a lot of opinions in here, too.

i used to rack to secondary religously, but recently stopped doing it at all, except if i'm going to be travelling. the other time to do it is if you are adding fruit, or something (i don't do that).

when you rack to secondary, you should not try to transfer the yeast cake. you will get a little bit anyway, but don't take any special steps.

your brew will continue to ferment, and in a couple weeks start checking your gravity every couple days until it stabilizes. once it stops changing, it's done, put it in bottles.

then you can wait another 4 weeks for a drink

There are times when racking too early that the yeast stalls & it doesn't finish. Especially when most of the trub/yeast has settled & it isn't done yet. It's better to wait until it hits FG to rack to secondary. I don't bother if I'm not oaking or something.
Also,try listing your gravities more accurately for clarity's sake. By 0.07,do you mean 1.070,or 1.007?

Back