I tasted my first brew tonight and it.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrZaius

Reaction score
Was AWESOME!

Well here is the pictures for my first brew, refrigerated and out of the keg. I force carbonated this baby so that I may enjoy it in a reasonable amount of time. I also bottled 4 16oz bottles of this as well. They are hidden in a dark recess of my home. I am very please with this beer. It tasted great! I am posting pics so that I may better understand 'LACING'. I have no idea what good or bad lacing is but I hope some more experienced people can help me figure this out.

Here are the pics.....
The sky was perfect for these pictures!

DSC07312.jpg

DSC07314.jpg

DSC07315.jpg

DSC07316.jpg

DSC07317.jpg

What do you guys think about the head and such. I really need more experienced eyes looking at it and helping me out.

Thanks!

Nice looking beer there. Great looking evening, too!

As far as lacing is concerned... Not quite sure what you're looking for. The lacing is the thin whips left over on the glass from the head left over from the head.

What makes up "good" and "bad" lacing is a question of style. But generally speaking, you're looking for just a touch at every level of the glass after every swallow taken from the beer. Ideally, if you finish a glass in 10 swallows, you should have 10 partial rings. That's not to say you have to, but it's a good rule of thumb. Having said that, certain detergents while washing glasses may resist the lacing process.

Based on your pics, I'd say the lacing on this brew is pretty solid. Nice job.

I remember that moment. Made me want to stand out on my porch and scream at the top of my lungs "I MADE BEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!" :D

I remember that moment. Made me want to stand out on my porch and scream at the top of my lungs "I MADE BEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!" :D

Man it is a GREAT thing. I am not sure if I can even get to sleep tonight. All that is in my head is the question of what my next batch will be!

Man it is a GREAT thing. I am not sure if I can even get to sleep tonight. All that is in my head is the question of what my next batch will be!

There was your rookie mistake. By the time you opened the first bottle of your first batch, the question in your head should be what your fourth batch will be because you should've already brewed your second and third by now! :mug:

There was your rookie mistake. By the time you opened the first bottle of your first batch, the question in your head should be what your fourth batch will be because you should've already brewed your second and third by now! :mug:

Funny you say that because I've brewed my first and second batches and know exactly what my third and fourth batches will be. :rockin:

Still waiting a few weeks to bottle my first.

Great looking pics...

Good lacing is when the foam really clings on to the side of the glass and you have to rinse off your glass pretty much right away. Not all beer styles will have this, but that's usually what's referred to as good lacing.

If you brew a style that's supposed to have good lacing, but instead it dissipates, it's usually because you have a gusher, dirty glass, or the beer is not ready to drink.

From the looks of your pics, I'd say you have pretty good lacing...

Maybe not as big a mistake though. Number 2 is in the 2nd ferm stage and number three I just brewed yesterday annnd I am formulating number 4.

Yep, I just did that....:D:D:D:D

Man, you are hooked.

Sometimes the lacing will actually leave a web of sticky foam that does look just like lacing. Requires a very clean glass though, and the oil on your lips will kill it pretty fast (especially if you are eating at the same time).

Yours looks very nice, especially for your first brew.

Latest posts

Back