I stopped by the LHBS, wanted to buy some yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Do you ever feel like the LHBS talks down to their customers. I called and asked if they have 1056, then drove over there and they don't. She then said "are you seriously not going to try this new yeast?" I was thinking, seriously I'm not. I was nice and civil, but felt like she was trying to push product. Like it didn't matter what I asked for, she knew better. I wanted to like that little HBS, O well, that's life.. I did get 3 packs of US05 and that will work for my house strain for the rest of winter.

My LHBS is only 6 miles away. They are rarely out of stock on the majority of items and willingly order the odd items as requested.
I can understand your frustration if you called in advance for a specific yeast and were misled.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah I've had my fair share home brew shop issues. One I was so pissed about I walked out without buying and later emailed the owner.

They have since changed their practices and I now go back.

All you can do is be civil but sometimes lhbs's need a wake up just like every other type of business. Offering your opinion can often be very helpful if it is constructive in nature.

I know exactly what your talking about. I have heard a bunch of brew friends that would say something about on of the LHBS acting like the customer didn't know what they wanted, I hadn't gone to this place for some time and when I did I couldn't believe how right they were.
Not only was I talked to like I didn't know anything but I had to wait an hour to get my stuff... Customer service? Fail!

I didn't go back until I heard there where new people working there, lots better now.

I feel bad for the new brewers who get pushed around by LHBS. They do seem to have this attitude like "I know everything because I work here, and you're in this store you must need my help" But I don't, that why I called and asked if it was in stock. I should have walked in and picked it up, gave them money and walked out. If they wanted to talk beer that's OK too. But don't tell me what yeast I want.

Do you ever feel like the LHBS talks down to their customers. I called and asked if they have 1056, then drove over there and they don't. She then said "are you seriously not going to try this new yeast?" I was thinking, seriously I'm not. I was nice and civil, but felt like she was trying to push product. Like it didn't matter what I asked for, she knew better. I wanted to like that little HBS, O well, that's life.. I did get 3 packs of US05 and that will work for my house strain for the rest of winter.

So let me get this straight. You call over there and ask about a certain strain of yeast and they say they have it. Then when you get there, they DON'T have it and instead try to push some other stain on you?

I'd call BS right to their face. That is flat out LYING.

Not only is it lying, in many states you could make the argument it's a "bait and switch" tactic, which is not only unethical, it's highly illegal. It'd be a tough road to hoe, and probably not worth it, but you'd be better off just avoiding the place if that's their M.O.

I've got two in my vicinity - on is more of an brew on premises place that does offer some supplies and ingredients, but they cater much more to wine makers than to brewers. If you ever ask them for information, they immediately go to their computer and Google for the answer - they at least don't pretend to know more than anybody else, but it's often frustrating. And if you run in for an emergency pack of yeast, chances are what they have will be months old, if they even have the right strains in stock.

But then there's another, sadly a considerably longer drive, but well worth it. Knowledgeable staff, well stocked with fresh ingredients, and they're happy to offer any advice you ask for - and I've never had them offer up unsolicited advice. I may get the occasional "whatcha working on?" or "what's brewing", and if they happen to be out of stock on a given hop or yeast, they're knowledgeable enough to help figure out a substitute on the spot (without referring to Google! ;) ).

A good LHBS can sometimes be tough to find - but it's worth its weight in gold.

I'm fortunate enough to have 4 different LHBS's within 20 min of me(San Diego). One is associated with a pretty popular brewery and every time Ive been in there they aren't very welcoming and can seem a little rude. Luckily the one closest to me is awesome and the other two aren't bad either, just lacking in selection.

I'm fortunate enough to have 4 different LHBS's within 20 min of me(San Diego). One is associated with a pretty popular brewery and every time Ive been in there they aren't very welcoming and can seem a little rude. Luckily the one closest to me is awesome and the other two aren't bad either, just lacking in selection.

I am 99.99% sure I know the "rude" place you mention, and 99.9% sure I know the awesome, well-stocked place you reference (in North Park, yes?). I have had exactly the same experience, and now always go to the second place and will never again go to the first place.

I like having BM stores so I try to shop at one anytime I can. It is possible that someone came in and bought the all the yeast and that's OK, it happens. The lady is probably used to new KIT brewers who are looking for guidance. But I should be able to buy what I want and not have someone telling me "are you seriously not going to buy this" Seriously I'm not. Their are lots of other HBS in Chicago, for all that it matters I don't need one at all.

I always get attitude about ingredients. I was collecting the necessary ingredients to brew my American Stout (Recipe link on the bottom of this post) and the guy told me that I should get roasted barley instead of black patent. He very snidely said, "Well it probably won't turn out right without roasted barley. All stouts should have roasted barley or it isn't a stout. Look at Guinness." And I said, "Yea, well I'm not trying to make Guinness!" My stout turned out fantastic..it's probably my favorite beer I've made.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/hoppy-american-stout-summoner-stout-491367/

My LHBS is not very good. Mostly because I feel the staff doesn't know much and the selection is pretty limited. They are huge supporters of my club so I don't mind going there especially for things like air locks and sanitizer.

I am 99.99% sure I know the "rude" place you mention, and 99.9% sure I know the awesome, well-stocked place you reference (in North Park, yes?). I have had exactly the same experience, and now always go to the second place and will never again go to the first place.

Lol. Homebrewer ftw. Birthplace of Sculpin ftl.

I always get attitude about ingredients. I was collecting the necessary ingredients to brew my American Stout (Recipe link on the bottom of this post) and the guy told me that I should get roasted barley instead of black patent. He very snidely said, "Well it probably won't turn out right without roasted barley. All stouts should have roasted barley or it isn't a stout. Look at Guinness." And I said, "Yea, well I'm not trying to make Guinness!" My stout turned out fantastic..it's probably my favorite beer I've made.

See, that one's a purist attitude right there, plain and simple. A lot of people will argue till they're blue in the face that roast barley is for stout, black patent is for porter, and that's that. Sounds like this guy was one of 'em.

At my LHBS the owner can be quite pretentious as can some, but not all, of the staff. I actually stopped brewing for a few years as did my friends. Went there a few weeks ago after maybe a 4 year hiatus, he's much nicer but I'm still buying most things online

There are 3 HBS within 30 minutes drive of my house. I pretty much go to 1 for yeast and another for grain and if I'm looking for something that neither have then the 3rd (furthest) usually has it.

The place I get grain at also has a brew your beer setup there and the staff are knowledgeable (about beer) and very friendly. When I go there it's an hour visit to buy my stuff and then BS with them. The store I get my yeast (White Labs) at the owner is nice but he's more of a wine guy which is fine, though I haven't gone down the winemaker road. The third and furthest store smells like an ashtray the moment you walk in and it bothers me to the point of coughing. Also one of the owners always butts in when I'm chatting to a counter person and she tells me I need 4 additional ingredients (that I don't need) in order to make something. Their store has been open the longest but is the priciest and most pushy; I only go there if I absolutely need something and the other 2 stores don't have it.

See, that one's a purist attitude right there, plain and simple. A lot of people will argue till they're blue in the face that roast barley is for stout, black patent is for porter, and that's that. Sounds like this guy was one of 'em.

I don't recall the BJCP or the BA guidelines stating that either are necessary for admittance into any category, although some ingredients are commonly found in most examples of a style.

I feel like these days I could call it whatever I want. IMO, the lines that divide styles are getting more blurred. I should just call it a Black Ale lol. It's hoppy enough to probably be called a Black IPA if I wanted lol. Regardless, the staff at that particular LHBS are usually very nice and helpful..there's just 1 guy who thinks he's King of Beertopia.

I don't recall the BJCP or the BA guidelines stating that either are necessary for admittance into any category, although some ingredients are commonly found in most examples of a style.

Oh, I totally agree with you. But I've run across this exact idea in a couple people before, and have had absolutely no success getting them to budge on it. In each case, they were long-time brewers who considered themselves at least somewhat "old-school."

I like Brew Camp, I think they maybe getting my money soon. I wish they had better parking, for the times I need a 50 lbs sack of 2 row.

I read this and thought, "This must be Brew and Grow." Sure enough, I look to the sidebar and you (also) live in Chicago. They were pushing some new local yeast, right?

I got the same thing, but much less condescending. I thought they got rid of those guys when they were still in that weird industrial area off Elston.

I read this and thought, "This must be Brew and Grow." Sure enough, I look to the sidebar and you (also) live in Chicago. They were pushing some new local yeast, right?

I got the same thing, but much less condescending. I thought they got rid of those guys when they were still in that weird industrial area off Elston.

I know exactly where you are talking about. That was a long time ago. They're entrance was a truck loading dock down a long back alley. The kind of place where you'd get stabbed.

The day this happened I was coming home from a long day at work and didn't want a overly helpful (pushy sales person), I justed wanted to buy one thing. The shop that I did go to, is not a bad shop just too helpful sometimes. I've been back and had a better experience.

I read about LHBS nightmare stories quite often it seems, and I am glad to say my favorite HBS has been open in Reno, Nevada for 29 years. The owner is there every day, very friendly and incredibly knowledgeable too. Rob (the owner) has been a BJCP judge for decades, and has brewed some of the finest beers I have ever tasted. The store selection is huge, and they have a lot of square feet to display in. I have never felt pushed or coerced, but I have always felt genuinely appreciated to be there, and have always left there feeling like family. My LHBS in Carson City, is a fairly new store owned and operated by a couple of talented brewers with a lot of personality,and a nice selection in their store. They are nice enough to let us have our Home Brew Club meetings in their store, and we let them know we are grateful too.

Back