I may be getting to lax with this hobby.... And I've got some questions!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mrironcell

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
3
Okay, so I have made many different wines/hooch/distillates and I just realized I may have just recently made a mistake trying to save some homemade syrups from being wasted. After finishing my newest vodka distillation and racking my cranberry wine, I decided I would try and mix these drinks, and I combined the cranberry wine and vodka. I thought it needed some more twang, as it reminded me of my long-past days spent with grandma on our ranch where she made us fruity ginger beers! So, obviously, I wanted to add some soda water and homemade ginger syrup, but only noticed the patches of what I presume was mold on the surface of the syrup AFTER I mixed and made the drink. Although it was delicious and I didn't get sick, so I think the syrup was fine or I'm just lucky XD. Well, after that I decided to check all my syrups and mixers, and all my ginger syrup had some mold and my coconut creme seemed to be old and had lost the sweet coconut smell (and some taste, but by no means did it taste bad). After this, I decided to add some water to both (remove the mold, too) and mix well, and (without thinking wisely about maybe BOILING IT to kill the bacteria) I just threw some DADY yeast in there and stuck a bubbler on. That was 9 days ago, and the fermentation has seemed to stop on both, while I must note the coconut fermented much more vigorously and the supposed "ginger beer" didn't let much gas out. So the question is, should I try and drink these to see if they are good, or should I just toss it? I'd hate to waste it, but I think getting botulism would be an inconvenience right now. BUT I do know what to look for, such as respiratory and ocular failure, or at least fatigue of those muscle groups. And, I'll be making another post about what the hell my kool-aid fermentation made, cause it definitely ain't alcohol or anything that probably exists. Happy brewing and thanks for responding!!
 

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
9,106
Reaction score
7,441
Location
Cleveland
what I presume was mold
There's a difference between mold and a pellicle. Make sure you can identify it correctly.

should I try and drink these to see if they are good, or should I just toss it?
If it was indeed mold, you should dump it.

If there's any possibility of botulism, you should dump it.
 
OP
M

Mrironcell

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
3
There's a difference between mold and a pellicle. Make sure you can identify it correctly.
It was indeed mold, as a pellicle would be over most the surface instead of a small portion grouped up (or so I thought). would that be right?
 

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
9,106
Reaction score
7,441
Location
Cleveland
It was indeed mold, as a pellicle would be over most the surface instead of a small portion grouped up (or so I thought). would that be right?
Yes, that's generally true although mold can cover the entire surface. The main identifying feature of mold is that it's hairy or fuzzy.
 
Top