I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewingmeister said:
Like money or math?[/QUOTE

Money or math? To true! But I have to admit, the only reason I'm not good at either is because I'm lazy. Math is boring and I don't appreciate it becAuse I never took the time or determination to learn the rules of math. Money, I just took it for granted too. I figure both failings are catching up to me now

Anybody here play online poker? I just started playing on party poker (but seriously, this time), and I wish their smartphone app was more comprehensive. It's really limited and only allows you to play in regular, cash games, which I only found out AFTER depositing my initial seed money/bankroll.

I'm not too great in cash games, and do far better in 10-player (or multi-table) no-limit tournaments, so despite the whole objective having been to generate a bit of cash when I have spare time while out and about, I really only had time today for a single 10-player, $10+1, "sit & go" tourney from home. But I can't complain too much about picking up $50 for coming in first place in a relatively quick game. :rockin:

Even more satisfying was probably knocking out the early major chip leader (who used his stack to bully people a bit TOO much; worked well early on but eventually led to me being able to easily effect his demise) in 4th place, *just* outside the money. He raged HARD. :D

So now I have a dilemma... do I cash out and find a different site that actually allows me to sit in similar games with my phone, or do I stay with party poker and just stick to playing on an actual computer from home? I'll stick with the latter for now, but it's probably the better option anyways as playing out in public is distracting anyways, and after thinking about it a bit more, it REALLY can't be very conducive to the commitment required in tournament play anyways... even in the shortest of single-table tourneys.

I'm not smart enough to gamble nor do I have the cahonas. Good luck. There is potential to make a lot of money.

I'm a child of the 80's. Means I was a freshman in high school in 1979, to me.

Indiana Jones came out sometime after that, and Top Gun too

YI was perusing through Netflix a few months ago and found a show called Indiana Jones Young Adventures. Started out a kids show. The hero was around 10. Years old. I liked the show because history was encompassed.

Time moved on quickly. The ten year old got much older in TV time.

Not a bad show at all.
I

Anybody here play online poker? I just started playing on party poker (but seriously, this time), and I wish their smartphone app was more comprehensive. It's really limited and only allows you to play in regular, cash games, which I only found out AFTER depositing my initial seed money/bankroll.

I'm not too great in cash games, and do far better in 10-player (or multi-table) no-limit tournaments, so despite the whole objective having been to generate a bit of cash when I have spare time while out and about, I really only had time today for a single 10-player, $10+1, "sit & go" tourney from home. But I can't complain too much about picking up $50 for coming in first place in a relatively quick game. :rockin:

Even more satisfying was probably knocking out the early major chip leader (who used his stack to bully people a bit TOO much; worked well early on but eventually led to me being able to easily effect his demise) in 4th place, *just* outside the money. He raged HARD. :D

So now I have a dilemma... do I cash out and find a different site that actually allows me to sit in similar games with my phone, or do I stay with party poker and just stick to playing on an actual computer from home? I'll stick with the latter for now, but it's probably the better option anyways as playing out in public is distracting anyways, and after thinking about it a bit more, it REALLY can't be very conducive to the commitment required in tournament play anyways... even in the shortest of single-table tourneys.

I have never played online. I will continue to resist the temptation. I only remember one time losing money with a table full of sharks. I clean up at the golf course, camp and monthly poker nights. I am devoid of emotion and love messin with other peoples minds. That works best face to face. It is also grounds for divorce.

*edit* I always show my hand...

What if no language was foreign. There was only one, understood by all?
It would be a lot harder to call someone a dirty goat fornicating whore in a language they don't understand.

Hmm, cognitive dissonance?

LG, any breakthroughs on the shopping list? I really do respect your efforts. I'm a shirty present giver. I rarely know what to buy. Call me old fashioned and cheap but sometimes a gift of heart is the best present ever.

Holy moly! Not sure I've ever seen Ischiavo here for such a long period. By the way, my crap ass laptop has the keys right next to each other. Excpect spelling mistakes when I get writing

Thats besides the point. I know a few things about Ischiavo now. You want to build an electric brew stand -Ischiavo will help make it awesome

Need a laugh at the end of the day, or during it for that matter - Ischiavo, has a heart of gold, wit to love, and a very good man and humble man.

These are my thoughts.

:mug: Ischiavo!

LG, any breakthroughs on the shopping list? I really do respect your efforts. I'm a shirty present giver. I rarely know what to buy. Call me old fashioned and cheap but sometimes a gift of heart is the best present ever.

My family is getting hand crafted food gifts this year. I've been working on them all year.

Holy moly! Not sure I've ever seen Ischiavo here for such a long period. By the way, my crap ass laptop has the keys right next to each other. Excpect spelling mistakes when I get writing

Thats besides the point. I know a few things about Ischiavo now. You want to build an electric brew stand -Ischiavo will help make it awesome

Need a laugh at the end of the day, or during it for that matter - Ischiavo, has a heart of gold, wit to love, and a very good man and humble man.

These are my thoughts.

:mug: Ischiavo!

Dan, I love you man but every laptop has the keys right next to each other. Even a new one won't solve that problem;)

I am electric and happy to help out in that area.

I guess I have a strange sense of humor. It is nice to find people you can joke and laugh with.
I have found a few that can tolerate me here and that I can relate to as well. Dan, if I ever have any rough times, I will likely turn to you. Hope you wouldn't mind;)

I've gotten everybody figured out. I got 22 wrapped. 8 acquired but not wrapped. 3 ordered. 4 I still need to buy, but they should be easy enough to get locally.

Hand made gifts are great, and usually more memorable. With 37 people on my Christmas list, there is no way I'd have time though. :)
My family is getting hand crafted food gifts this year. I've been working on them all year.
You are giving them year old food? That's a bit scary...

lschiavo said:
Dan, I love you man but every laptop has the keys right next to each other. Even a new one won't solve that problem;) I am electric and happy to help out in that area. I guess I have a strange sense of humor. It is nice to find people you can joke and laugh with. I have found a few that can tolerate me here and that I can relate to as well. Dan, if I ever have any rough times, I will likely turn to you. Hope you wouldn't mind;)

Ischiavo, I'm your brother. I don't have much money these days and I highly doubt you're talking about that anyway

It's pretty crazy how hearts are. I've never met you.
Still I think we are kin.

Ischiavo, I'm your brother. I don't have much money these days and I highly doubt you're talking about that anyway

It's pretty crazy how hearts are. I've never met you.
Still I think we are kin.

Naw. I'd never ask a friend for help financially. I do think you would be an excellent counselor though.

lschiavo said:
Naw. I'd never ask a friend for help financially. I do think you would be an excellent counselor though.[/QUOTE
Counselor.? Haha You put to much faith in me. I'm not a bad friend to have though and I'd be honored to call you my friend.

indeed to get on a computer and fix this post. Dang thing makes Ischiavo sound like he's talking to himself. Phones!!!

Labels and relabeled cider bottles. I don't usually bother, but these are going to be Christmas gifts so I thought I'd prettify them. I'll pull the original blue tape labels off before I wrap them of course.

The bottles are a little mismatched. They are being given out singly to different people though, so I doubt anyone will notice.

christmas cider labels.jpg

relabeled cider bottles.jpg

Leadgolem said:
Labels and relabeled cider bottles. I don't usually bother, but these are going to be Christmas gifts so I thought I'd prettify them. I'll pull the original blue tape labels off before I wrap them of course. The bottles are a little mismatched. They are being given out singly to different people though, so I doubt anyone will notice.

They look greet LG. You should sign the bottles
With your name

Leadgolem said:
I've gotten everybody figured out. I got 22 wrapped. 8 acquired but not wrapped. 3 ordered. 4 I still need to buy, but they should be easy enough to get locally.

Hand made gifts are great, and usually more memorable. With 37 people on my Christmas list, there is no way I'd have time though. :)

You are giving them year old food? That's a bit scary...

If you consider vanilla extract and jam scary.... Then yes....

Labels and relabeled cider bottles. I don't usually bother, but these are going to be Christmas gifts so I thought I'd prettify them. I'll pull the original blue tape labels off before I wrap them of course.

The bottles are a little mismatched. They are being given out singly to different people though, so I doubt anyone will notice.

LG - where did you get those paper labels? I'm looking to do something very similar for my Merlot. The paper quality looks nice.

LG - where did you get those paper labels? I'm looking to do something very similar for my Merlot. The paper quality looks nice.
Walmart, next to the stationary. $5 for 80 sheets. They also had parchment, which is nicer, but it was twice the money too. This is southworth ivory granite.

EDIT: I borrowed my Mothers paper cutter and this corner trimmer thing she has to make the labels. They are glued on with good old washable school glue sticks.

Walmart, next to the stationary. $5 for 80 sheets. They also had parchment, which is nicer, but it was twice the money too. This is southworth ivory granite.

EDIT: I borrowed my Mothers paper cutter and this corner trimmer thing she has to make the labels. They are glued on with good old washable school glue sticks.

LG, that's awesome! Best of luck to you man! I think the recipients of your gifts are lucky. Very lucky indeed. :mug:

Cool. I was going to try a laser printed B&W label and use milk as the adhesive. I've been looking for nice-looking paper for a while.

"Death to You Soup" or Corn Chowder My Way

Slice one pound bacon into quarter inch strips. Reserve the last few inches for roux

two big potatoes diced
chicken stock ( around three-four cups)
3 cans of creamed corn
3 cans of sweet corn
a bayleaf or two
a pint of milk
pepper to taste.

Render the bacon till crispy
Use the stock to boil the potatoes, once they are about tender add the crispy bacon and bacon grease, pluls sweet corn and creamed corn. Chopped celerly is optional but not a bad thing to introduce at this point. Let mixture come back to temp and add the milk. simmer, stew, let it gently meld together as one.

Use the bacon reserved, render down and let get crispy. Toss the bacon into the pot. Reserve the bacon fat grease and add flour to make a roux. Pour the roux into the soup and stir to thicken. Gently, very gently let this mixture stew for an hour or two.

Serve with warm biscuits.

There's enough pork fat in there to stop a dinasour's heart but man, once in awhile you just got to say WTF, I'm in!

Nice labels LG! Very cool gifts! I can personally say from experience that I'm sure the recipients will really enjoy them!

Dan that chowder sounds very tasty! I'll have to give that a try some time!

It's pretty lame that the "What are you drinking now" thread got closed!

Did a test run on my new cider press with homegrown apples I had in the freezer. I ended up with about 2.5 gallons of very tasty 1.057 gravity apple cider. I'm going to ferment a gallon and drink the rest fresh.

IMG-20131117-00463 (2).jpg

IMG-20131117-00464 (2).jpg

Nice labels LG! Very cool gifts! I can personally say from experience that I'm sure the recipients will really enjoy them!

Dan that chowder sounds very tasty! I'll have to give that a try some time!

It's pretty lame that the "What are you drinking now" thread got closed!

Did a test run on my new cider press with homegrown apples I had in the freezer. I ended up with about 2.5 gallons of very tasty 1.057 gravity apple cider. I'm going to ferment a gallon and drink the rest fresh.
Nice to see that press in use. Did you just drill a hole in the bottom of the pan?

It was an exceptionally good batch of cider, even if I did blow some corks with it early on.

Back