I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, silicone is extremely safe, and generally the material of choice (along with stainless steel) for industries such as pharmaceutical, medical, dairy, and, of course, brewing. But regular silicone tubing can't handle the pressure from household plumbing (though a typical brewery pump like a March 809 or Chugger pump is fine). If you're careful enough to make sure the path of the water is unimpeded at all times (ie you don't let pressure build up inside it and burst like a balloon), you can get away with it.

If it's just tap water, though, braided vinyl should cost about the same as the (unbraided) silicone tubing, and is also safe under such conditions. I'd recommend going with the braided vinyl rather than chancing it with remembering to keep all the necessary valves open every single time... ESPECIALLY if it's only going to be from the cold water supply.

Stick with silicone for liquid that is very hot, or that is acidic (like wort/beer) though, especially when it's hot.

If you let me know specifically what you'll be running through each hose you'll need, and the temp range you expect (particularly the upper end of that range), I can give you much more specific recommendations.

I hear you, though... $7/foot definitely isn't cheap. Anybody that wants to incorporate braided silicone (Silbraid) into their brewery really needs to plan things out to maximize efficiency, minimize the necessary length of Silbraid tubing as much as possible, and use unbraided hose wherever possible. Many home breweries can easily use more than 50 (even 100+) feet of hose, so not putting some thought into how your hoses are set up and constructed can cost people a small fortune.

Thanks for the info. I have 20' so far just to get started. Replacing the RV hose to the shop is going to hurt...that's 50' maybe 40psi and never over 65* unless it bakes in the sun during our two months of summer.

Even better than cream cheese frosting:

-planning the deer hunt with your 8 yo son.
-having a few beers after a long but profitable day at work.
- bs'ing with friends on HBT.
- my daughter's tuition bill...if I didn't have to pay it.

Right after planning the deer hunt should be UPS packages containing parts for the brewery upgrade. The stout tank 40 gallon MLT is being built as we type. The 42 gallon conical will be ordered soon. I can get an upright freezer or build an AC cold room to house it. What would you guys do?

At the end of the list should be worn out underwear with loose waistbands. I'm throwing these out when I'm done with them in a few days.

The boy has started Scouting.

I'm completely lost. His scout leader approached me and said that since he's the only Webelos in the Den that he'd appreciate if I could go through his handbook and help by signing him off on stuff. No problem I thought. That book is a maze of confusion to me. I don't know where to go or what to do. My son's going to end up with the most out of order scouting experience this year I have a feeling.

I'm completely lost. His scout leader approached me and said that since he's the only Webelos in the Den that he'd appreciate if I could go through his handbook and help by signing him off on stuff. No problem I thought. That book is a maze of confusion to me. I don't know where to go or what to do. My son's going to end up with the most out of order scouting experience this year I have a feeling.

At least you're doing it. I didn't do scouts with my boys. It's a minor regret of mine. Consequently, my boys have no idea how to camp or do any outdoors type of stuff. We kept them busy with organized sports (baseball, soccer).

I always wanted to be in BSA when I was a kid.

I wish I could keep him interested in sports long enough to finish out a season and want to go back the next year. He's done half way through the season. Put a video game in front of him and he'll play non-stop for a year though. Drives me insane. He does love the outdoors, and takes well to it. I was surprised to find that actual outdoorsy stuff is only about 25-30% of the book.

I always wanted to be in BSA when I was a kid.

I wish I could keep him interested in sports long enough to finish out a season and want to go back the next year. He's done half way through the season. Put a video game in front of him and he'll play non-stop for a year though. Drives me insane. He does love the outdoors, and takes well to it. I was surprised to find that actual outdoorsy stuff is only about 25-30% of the book.

Sounds just like my kids. I guess the video games are ok as long as they balance it out with other things. My boys love playing outside but they don't spend nearly as much time outdoors as I did as a kid. I agree with being surprised with the handbook activities (scrapbooking?). I was den leader for my son's first year and was a bit confused too. We got through it although with only about a third of the kids we started with.

Yeah, I'd throw the underwear out too!

It is a difficult thing to commit to. Thanks for the support;)

Wow, this week at school will not let up. I've got a bunch of kids doing make-ups so I am heading in early and staying late and occupying my lunch hour with non-lunch activities. I was hoping to pull off a brew tonight but it isn't going to happen. I'm hoping SWMBO will leave me at home for a while this weekend so I can have a nice relaxed brew day. We're finally getting fall weather and smelling boiling wort and hops will be pretty nice.

TC, I hope you get a chance to slow down and brew this weekend..

Saturday I'll be brewing for the first time in about 3 months. I'm making a dopplebock. My first real attempt at a lager...

Wow, this week at school will not let up. I've got a bunch of kids doing make-ups so I am heading in early and staying late and occupying my lunch hour with non-lunch activities. I was hoping to pull off a brew tonight but it isn't going to happen. I'm hoping SWMBO will leave me at home for a while this weekend so I can have a nice relaxed brew day. We're finally getting fall weather and smelling boiling wort and hops will be pretty nice.

Good luck. Fall brewing is the best. I need to brew some cream ale, but have to bottle a batch and clean the heck out of the fermenter first.

Good luck. Fall brewing is the best. I need to brew some cream ale, but have to bottle a batch and clean the heck out of the fermenter first.

The peppered pumpkin beer is nice. It is a deep orange color. The pumpkin pie spices are silent, I went very light, the peppers bring a little subtle heat. Its like a orange colored low hop peppered apa.

The peppered pumpkin beer is nice. It is a deep orange color. The pumpkin pie spices are silent, I went very light, the peppers bring a little subtle heat. Its like a orange colored low hop peppered apa.

Glad it came out to your liking. :D

Cream cheese frosting. That is all.
No, you must have graham crackers if no cake is involved. Psst, everybody knows that.

Oh, I don't know I think most scout programs are pretty horribly organized. It's been a long time, but If I remember right, most of the book is broken into modules. With very few of the modules being interdependent. I seem to remember thinking that the point seemed more to tailor the lessons to the interests of the group so the kids would actually show up for the meetings.

That is indeed interesting, I'm a little tired tonight so it might be a little bit before I get through it.

I got my brewing supplies order, so I'll be making BB's cream soda either tonight or tomorrow. Hey BB, is neutral spirits or rum vanilla extract better in that recipe?

I got my brewing supplies order, so I'll be making BB's cream soda either tonight or tomorrow. Hey BB, is neutral spirits or rum vanilla extract better in that recipe?

IIRC he said he used the rum version, which is what I used. It's only been carbing up for a week, but we've still been drinking it. It's super delicious! It mixes with bourbon very nicely, too!

This was unexpected today.

!!!heady.jpg

Hmm, so I've had a frustrating day. Hooked up the new dispensing line to the plastic faucet for the batch of BB's cream soda I made today. I have two of these already setup and working. This one the faucet runs no matter what I do. It's not loose. It just sprays cream soda all over the place no matter what.

It took about an hour for me to pull everything out of the keezer, clean it all, and put it back together. I went to a LHBS, bought a real faucet. Came home, hooked the new faucet up. Same issue. The faucet runs when in the off position. This time I was smart enough to put the faucet down in a pitcher first, so I didn't need to clean everything. Disconnected the faucet, ok maybe it just won't hold against 30 psi. Switched with the cider that's on 15 psi. Same problem. The plastic faucet from the cider works fine on the cream soda....? Disassemble the faucet I just bought. It was put together incorrectly. Ok. Reassembled it correctly. Now it works fine.

SO, BB's cream soda is tasty. Not exactly to my taste, but good. It mixes really well with hard apple cider. I've got about 3/4 of a gallon of cider/cream soda mixed from switching the lines back and forth to drink now.

Hmm, I think I will secondary that batch of cider that's going now with the rest of my leftover vanilla beans. This mix is very good.

Oh, my 20' dispensing lines kept getting tangles. So I mummified them. :)

DSC_0141.jpg

Hmm, so I've had a frustrating day. Hooked up the new dispensing line to the plastic faucet for the batch of BB's cream soda I made today. I have two of these already setup and working. This one the faucet runs no matter what I do. It's not loose. It just sprays cream soda all over the place no matter what.

It took about an hour for me to pull everything out of the keezer, clean it all, and put it back together. I went to a LHBS, bought a real faucet. Came home, hooked the new faucet up. Same issue. The faucet runs when in the off position. This time I was smart enough to put the faucet down in a pitcher first, so I didn't need to clean everything. Disconnected the faucet, ok maybe it just won't hold against 30 psi. Switched with the cider that's on 15 psi. Same problem. The plastic faucet from the cider works fine on the cream soda....? Disassemble the faucet I just bought. It was put together incorrectly. Ok. Reassembled it correctly. Now it works fine.

SO, BB's cream soda is tasty. Not exactly to my taste, but good. It mixes really well with hard apple cider. I've got about 3/4 of a gallon of cider/cream soda mixed from switching the lines back and forth to drink now.

I've been reading about this problem a lot lately. They just don't make things for crap these days!

<Cue annunciatory trumpets!> It has been decreed that tomorrow shall be Bottling Day! <More annunciatory trumpets!>

6 gallons of Merlot and 6 gallons of apfelwein to sock away. I think I am going to bottle carb the apfelwein in beer bottles and stash them away for awhile. I still have two cases of 750 mL bottles of still 6-month-old apfelwein that I pop open only when I feel like getting silly trashed with the SWMBO (actually only I get trashed; the SWMBO just watches disapprovingly). A smaller serving size might be easier to face the morning after. I think I am going to hold off on more winemaking until next summer. SWMBO doesn't drink much but she reminesces about a Sauvignon Blanc she had in Chile some years ago, so I think I will take a crack at that. I have to remember that wine can be fermented when it is too hot to ferment beer.

Speaking of which, we're getting frosty clear weather finally and I just wanna brew some beer so bad. I have all the grains and malts and hops and yeast and everything...except time. I may just go nuts tomorrow after bottling all day and fire up a brew tomorrow night. I just need to smell some boiling wort (and maybe enjoy a hot scotchie).

Latest posts

Back