I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I just jumped aboard this blending thing. We were at target the other day. I'd never noticed it before but they had part of an aisle dedicated to blenders. Looks as though blending is the rage these days and it's a horse I'm jumping on

I talked with my grown up son today. He's 25, a MARINE, and married to a great girl.

My son has much in common with me. But he is a much better a man than I am

He called today for a talk with his dad. What he didn't realize was his call was great timing because I really needed to talk with my son

In so many ways he is me. He's my son in that please do see.

I have two daughters I love very, very much And I should talk of them much. And might soon do

My son Dan, same name as me
Will carry on the Dawson legacy.
He is a much better man than me
He will carry better than I did
Our legacy of healing and caring
A life of giving and sharing

Slow flow

I think I've posted enough times I recently turned 50

Mostly my body still figures it is young
Except a couple parts. My stomach can no longer deal with greasy food
And I'm not quite sure what is going on but my pee flow isn't what it was when I was a 12 year old peeing in a childish pee competition during recess periods

I understand prostrate cancer is a killer. Like many men though I don't want a finger stick up my butt

Give me some encouragement and advice please!

I understand prostrate cancer is a killer. Like many men though I don't want a finger stick up my butt

Give me some encouragement and advice please!

Make it fun!

Hide something in there. A fortune cookie is a great idea, but there are others. Then the when the doctor goes in for the prostate check everybody gets a laugh. Just a thought.

Everybody would get a giggle if you stuck a Chinese finger trap up there.

Well I guess it'd be pretty awkward with a finger stuck up there ha :)

Do go in if you are worried tho! For us here on HBT

Sent from myPhone

Make it fun!

Hide something in there. A fortune cookie is a great idea, but there are others. Then the when the doctor goes in for the prostate check everybody gets a laugh. Just a thought.

Pappy. I couldn't pull it off. You and me are the same age. I bet you have had to go through the check out. How the hell you bend over spread your cheeks a let a man put his finger up your butt? I don't know if it would be better if a gorgeous super model type did the test. Actually, it might be kinda cool

I had a colonoscopy at the age of 45 because cancer killed my mom and dad

When you have a colonoscopy you will not remember anything. You're placed into a anesthetist state of mind where are awake but not conscious. After I had one done 5 years ago I woke up in the hospital room. The nurses, and the doctor who did the check up stopped by. They were very jovial. I couldn't help but think to myself. These people shaved my bung hole, pushed a. camerawork into it and inspected my colon.

I suppose from a medical point of view that cool. Still though for me , it took many years where I coughed and felt con
Nifty meeting a doctor check me for a hernia.

I'd almost like to put up one of those voting posts. You know the ones. A poll where you can post anonymous

But that's too much work.

Tell us about your own health worries please

I come from a family of docs. People who found it in their loins to help people. I didn't follow that path. My son wants to though. He's a MARINE, and I got to admit I sm very proud of him. He's about an inch taller than me , his body though we weigh each around 200 lbs, mine hAs a good bit of fat , my son is young and very muscular. Youth!!

I suppose that's normal. I'm twice his age and youth was a few years ago for me

However, However is like am saying but- everything you say before, you plan on asking something different next

My son and I are very similar. We even have the same first and last name. In my life my
son is my hero. He's all I am and more. I figure when it's my time to go ;'(not anytime soon I hope) my son will carry on the family's good name. I come from some good Dawson's. But In my life I've brought shame

My son is a better man than me
If you knew us both, in that you would see

:mug: Dan, I've used this line before, but when I asked my doctor what exercise I should do to help my cholesterol she advised I dig a hole. My dad used to always say don't worry about cancer as my inherited heart will kill me long before a cancer could grow. Now I'm not so sure, the race appears to be on. I like what you said about your son, my son is the greatest thing I have contributed to. Since he is adopted he can escape any medical issues I may have (sadly we don't know what his genetics might have in store for him, but I'm sure science will help out by the the time he gets old). At any rate, thanks for the kind words you struggled with in the other thread (I saw the thread before the edits). I've seen various posts you've written lately and I thought I raise a glass to you and say cheers :mug:

LRB, you are truly a friend i rejoice in having. To you brother I have to say something from my heart. I love you man. I know that sounds like drunk talk, but even if that's true. It doesn't change how I feel. You truly are my brother and a great part oft life

Dan, to answer your questions. I feel that in the name of health, a little discomfort is forgivable. Getting over the self concisousness of being in that position is tough, but if you keep in mind that it is not all fun and games for the person who has to give the check up either. Consider how much they have to perform the check on people against how often/many times you will have to do it. Is it worth doing for the peace of mind that you need not worry? I think so.

It is good to hear that you are proud of your son. Our immortality lies in the knowledge we pass on, and the hearts and personalities of our children. Your son is a piece of you, and has been shaped by you. A true measure of the quality of person that you are is that you are proud of him and feel that he has become a better man than yourself.

Have I mentioned lately I like this time of night on HBT? :)

Even if it's in the middle of the day
I love that you come here to have fun and play
No matter the time of day. The good folks of HBT are here to stay

Cheers :)

My son just called again. We usually talk most every day. He calls me up mostly. I should be the first to call more often but I don't.

He volunteered for a deployment in Afghanistan. My son is a MARINE but not a Grunt. His rate or MOS is Technical Controller. Its akin to an IT. person. The job he has is to basically set up, establish internet networks in remote locations. Or something like that. I'm pretty good at internet using but I really don't know how it all works. Apparently, my son has been pretty well trained in the cogs and gears of it all

Since I seem to be on a ramble I'll continue

To be honest with you all. As proud as I would be to see my son serve our country overseas- I hope with earnest he doesn't get the chance. I do realize its a selfish thing to want. And believe me serving our country is something I'm very experienced in. But he is my son. I know him pretty we'll. he's the type of guy men will put there trust in and Dan will lead the way. It's a pretty good trait to have. Thing is, I'm selfish and want my son to myself. I don't want to worry about him putting his life at risk , even for this greatccountry

Long day. Working at wifeys studio tonight. Just finished some mudding.

Bad gardening year for me. I'm starting to get some zucchini. Man I love zuchinni. I have a billion cucumber flowers but I'm not sure there is enough summer left to get much of a harvest. I have a full schedule tomorrow. One nice T&M job and a few to look at and bid. The rest of the weekend will be on mom and dad's roof. I like having stuff to do but I need a break.

Happy late night everyone!

Long day. Working at wifeys studio tonight. Just finished some mudding.

Bad gardening year for me. I'm starting to get some zucchini. Man I love zuchinni. I have a billion cucumber flowers but I'm not sure there is enough summer left to get much of a harvest. I have a full schedule tomorrow. One nice T&M job and a few to look at and bid. The rest of the weekend will be on mom and dad's roof. I like having stuff to do but I need a break.

Happy late night everyone!

Ischiavo, you are a busy guy. To be honest I'm pretty envious of that :). Hang in there brother and count your blessing you are so busy. I think you probably are thankful already. :)

Do yo guys know there is a Kids' food challenge on the Food Network. These kids are pretty amazing !

I have a question and figured this thread wouldn't be a bad place to ask it because its this thread and filled with very good folks who are wise in many ways.

Okay, I just sucked up a little there. But not really, I know you guys are very awesome. I say that proclamation with a true heart.

As I have probably mentioned often recently , I've become infatuated with canning. I haven't canned a lot, mostly just some jams. (Boiling water bath canned them) I've also canned a few pints of red and pinto beans - pressure canned. The boiling water bath method is mostly recommended for jam and foods with a pH below 4.6.

I have a question though, let me preface it by some fact. Below 1000 feet altitude. A pressure canner will raise boiling water to 228f at 5 psi, 240f at 10 pounds, and 250f at 15 psi. A boiling water bath will reach 212f at sea level.

It's well documented for highly acidic foods a boil water bath is fine. Most fruit and jams. No I don't know that for sure. Jams are acidic enough to safely use a boiling water bath.

But can I pressure can jams ? Why ? Because when you do a water bath you have to cover the jars an inch or so above the top of the highest jar's lid. I have a 23 quart canner and that's a lot of water. Especially if the canner only has a few quart jars in it.

The same two quart jars I could add three quarts of water, to a pressure canner; gallons less than a boiling water bath requirement.

I'm trying to save electricity. Here in Hawaii it's 38 cents per kW.
I think if I pressure canned with a substantially less amount of water it would take less energy consumed. I'd save money.

However a pressure canner and water bath produce different heats. At the lower published temps a pressure canner at. 5 psi (1000 ft or below )is 228f degrees.

Any idea the psi I need to use at sea level to mimic boiling water bath canning of 212f?

Cheers!

Kana

0 psi (gauge). Water at sea level, which is 0 psig, wil boil at 212F.

Forgive me if I misunderstood the question. If you are using a canner, don't put the lid on if you are processing with just a water bath.

I'm trying to mimic a water bath with pressure. I think It requires a lot more energy to heat the amount of water required for a water bath than the smaller amount necessary for pressure canning. I think. I could be completely wrong about that idea. I haven't done any tests.

Cheers!

Kana

The only thing pressure does for you is it allows the water to get to higher temperatures without boiling. E.g., at sea level it's impossible to get water higher than 212, which isn't hot enough for canning a lot of things.

If 212 is all you need, the pressure doesn't do anything for you.

On the other hand, for pressure-cooking, higher heat allows you to cook much more quickly. Meat can be cooked very fast using a pressure cooker/canner.

I suppose there are things I totally do not understand. If I just added enough water to produce a good boil and steam at zero psi in an uncovered pot. Would that generate the heat inside the jars high enough to successfully can acidic foods. If it were why wouldn't that be the norm instead of having them surrounded from bottom to an inch or so above their top with boiling water ?

Cheers!

Kana

Hey Kana (dan) [I'll have to look up kana] I just canned some pre-Boiled water for my yeast farm. I'd like to answer your question but I am currently unreliable (drinking)...but the key is to hold the max temp (pressure ) for the minimum time required by the tested recipe. (Listen to PP he's likely more reliable at this moment..you have to hit and hold your temp. There's got to be a HI chart. ..

LRB. Cheers my good man! Thanks for the good advice brother. If I have one regret in life. It's i never had a chance to have a few brews with you

Cheers!

Kana

My wife and I have the first same name in Hawaiian (according to some internet sight )

Dan and Jan

Kana and Kana. :)

Cheers!

Kana

So what is you're favorite cookware?

For many years mine were a stainless steel bunch. For two reasons. First they cooked very well. The bottoms were a combination of SS with copper sandwiched between two layers of SS. I got to admit i never learned to fry eggs on the huge 12 inch pan. But overall the set, a big 12" pan, various pots two one quarters , a two quart and a two gallon. By the way they all were metal. No plastic. I could put them over a camp fire or pop them in the oven.

Second reason i really liked them. They were super cheap. I don't know if they were accidentally under priced or not. I don't think they were though. I bought them at a Marine Corps store. I think I spent around. $50 for all of them. I like stainless but Teflon coated pans are pretty neat. We've had some cheap thin ones in this house. They wear out quickly.

The other day I went to a second hand shop- thrift store. I bought two Calphalon pans. One. 12" and one 10". $14 for the pair. There is no plastic. All metal. They are heavy and hold /conduct heat very well. They are also Teflon coated. I bouht them for camping equipment but man, I got to admit they are now my favorite pans. A joy to cook in.

What are yours?

Cheers!

Kana

I have to agree with cast iron. I also couldn't live without my steel wok. I only use my stainless pan for sauces and my stainless stock pot for soups. The only Teflon I have left in the kitchen is my pressure cooker. I pretty much only use that to cook rice nowadays.

I agree cast iron is timeless for many good reasons

Apparently there is a big brush fire around here. I don't smell any smoke. But That wouldn't explain the unending sirens going going by. Around 25 in the last hour. Hm?

Cheers!

Kana

The fire might actually be pretty substantial. There is a steady flow of fire trucks passing by my house

Cheers!

Kana

My wife is at work in Waikiki. About 30 miles from here. She just called worried. In my back yard...eff a bunch of fire trucks just passed by as I text this. I ent out to the backyard. No distant fires in view. I did smell woodsmoke in the air. I'm a very arrogant fool. No way where I love did I buy a place
Susceptible of forest fire

Cheers!

Kana

Latest text from my wife. "Danny gather up all the animals in case we need to evacuate "

I'm a realist. The fire won't get here. I live in good area that is not surrounded by fire breeding land. I hope I'm correct about that. I think I am. It would suck and go against my grain to find out I'm wrong.

I'm not though. ;)

Cheers!

Kana

Kana...Ha Ha Ha ..LOVE IT! feeling right at home huh, my good man? Man if your eating Poi I am going to come over there and beat you senseless!

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back