I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son recently joined this forum.
His handle is DANII

he posted in the intro thread. If you can, please find him and welcome him aboard. That would mean a lot to me, and very much appreciated my friends.

Humbly,
Dan

My son recently joined this forum.
His handle is DANII

he posted in the intro thread. If you can, please find him and welcome him aboard. That would mean a lot to me, and very much appreciated my friends.

Humbly,
Dan

Welcome Dan Jr! I hope you are as crazy as your old man;)

I'm smoking chickens while drinking beer from the thirteenth crystal scull(nobody knows I have it so shhhh).

img_20140830_160545_496-63676.jpg

Great looking smoker you got there Ischiavo...Break it down for me if you would. If you already have in another thread, shoot me the link.

Cheers
Jay

Well, its ugly but I just checked and its still at 270 since 2:30 this afternoon. Its just an ugly drum with a computer fan/damper motor on the bottom. The pid in the upper box opens the damper and starts the fan when it needs heat. I can post some detail pics if you are interested. The chicken was great!

Well, its ugly but I just checked and its still at 270 since 2:30 this afternoon. Its just an ugly drum with a computer fan/damper motor on the bottom. The pid in the upper box opens the damper and starts the fan when it needs heat. I can post some detail pics if you are interested. The chicken was great!

I'd like to see the details Ischiavo

Ohhh yeah I want details for sure man! Its killer!

Cheers
Jay

+1, ugly is in the eye of the beholder;)

img_20140831_100314_660-63684.jpg

Here is the fan/damper unit. The damper is 24V spring retracting I think I got it from and old wood stove system. The damper is mounted in a piece of 3 inch electrical conduit. I made my own flap to fit the conduit as tight as I could. You can see I use some tape on the conduct joints to reduce the leaks.

Found a turtle swimming in my pool today. I let it go in the little creek that runs behind our house.

Last time that happened, my daughter kept in a little fish tank. It grew a bit, then we released it in a neighborhood lake. She named the turtle "Squirt", and subsequently the lake is now known (to us) as Squirt Lake.

Good times at the passedpawn household. We don't have a lot of highs or lows, just turtle sightings and such.

It was a fun day on the lake. Got the wife and son up at 6 AM so we could get out of here and on the water by 7:30 so we could get the beach we wanted... Captain Q took us across the lake as SWMBO and I drank coffee and woke up..LOL We got to our beach now named Casa da le' Webster lol By 8:00 I was swimming and about 8:30 I was having my first HomeBrew (its was 5 O'clock somewhere right) and a cigar. Right around noon we had a bunch of friends and family show up. We fired up the BBQ and just had a ball!. Built onto the Beach hut, played Frisbee, and ate too much... Great day on the water!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20140831_081448_075.jpg

IMG_20140831_095131_624.jpg

IMG_20140831_143449_748.jpg

IMG_20140831_154455_381.jpg

Funny story. Went to a BBQ with my girl yesterday. Took some home brew, of course. One of the guys tried it and cringed. You could tell right away that he didn't like it. Then he says "Meh, that tastes like that Two Hearted Ale I tried the other day." I thanked him sincerely for the compliment. He gave me a funny, confused look, grabbed a Coors Light and went about his business. I was pleased with the irony. Had more than enough beer too, which is always a good thing.

Funny story. Went to a BBQ with my girl yesterday. Took some home brew, of course. One of the guys tried it and cringed. You could tell right away that he didn't like it. Then he says "Meh, that tastes like that Two Hearted Ale I tried the other day." I thanked him sincerely for the compliment. He gave me a funny, confused look, grabbed a Coors Light and went about his business. I was pleased with the irony. Had more than enough beer too, which is always a good thing.

Ha Ha Haaa....That's a KILLER story!

Cheers
Jay

Oops I froze my water keg in my keezer. Moved probe to top and forgot to put it in its normal home. I guess my fan isn't moving the air as much as I thought. Raised temp controller a couple degrees. Luckily keg was only 1/2 full. No damage.

Crap back to work tomorrow. We are swamped. I don't even know where to start. I'm going to go in early and try to formulate a plan. Kids are back in school tomorrow. I guess I will miss dropping them off for the first day...that sucks. It's the first time all three are full days. That should make things a bit easier though.

Have a good week all.

Wood smoke fills the air tonight. The winds have shifted from the trade winds to Kona winds. The 12+ day fire has turned around, heading back this way.

I

Leon,, wish we lived close by. I'd put some steaks on the grill, we'd have a few beers. ( I have no home brew right now on hand so it might be bottles of Miller Highlife or Old Milwake )

Would be nice to meet you in person and help (maybe just watch ) you make things. Ugh, that sounds stalking -ish

Cheers and clear beers!

Your brother

Dan

Leon,, wish we lived close by. I'd put some steaks on the grill, we'd have a few beers. ( I have no home brew right now on hand so it might be bottles of Miller Highlife or Old Milwake )

Would be nice to meet you in person and help (maybe just watch ) you make things. Ugh, that sounds stalking -ish

Cheers and clear beers!

Your brother

Dan

That sounds like a great time Dan. I always prefer working with someone on projects. I get more done that way too. Alone I tend to sit and smoke and drink beer while just looking at the project.

Glad you're out of harms way with the fire. Wish I could send some of our excess rain out your way. I just cut my extremely long grass. I've either been working late or its been rainy. I can't remember the last time I cut it.

In my house wood smoke is starting to permeate the air. Fire trucks with sirens blaring have become normal throughout the last twelve days

I want to write a book

About my life and I wouldn't mind quoting my writings on HBT, or some of the replies,

Any legal guys out there who can give me guidance?

It's getting dark. Woodsmoke is in the air. I look up the hill during the day and see billowing clouds of smoke. Once the sun goes down , I just see flames in the night.

I know the fire won't reach my house.

I'm being a downer with this post. I just needed to share. It's selfish and not keeping with good spirits this thread is known for.

I live in Hawaii now. Cheers

I lived here before , back in my Navy days I was stationed here. On and off about seven years total

Now I'm back.

I shouldn't go here but will. My mom and dad died from cancer two years apart. Mom went first. January, 2000. She was 62.

Over the next few years I lost my dad too. He had been diagnosed with cancer about three years after my mom was.

They both fought it. Surgery, chemotherapy. My mom fought for 5 years. She passed away and it looked like Dad had successfully beaten cancer. He looked healthy.

I was stationed in Hawaii at the time. Dad came out to visit me. I'm not going to go into detail about his visit except to say it was a wonderful time

My memory fades me on exact dates since then. I think it was about a year later I transferred from Hawaii back to the mainland. I spent about a month at home with my dad. He was tired most of the time. I figured he had lost motivation because my mom, his life partner was gone.

I think that was partly correct. One morning after a discussion about the future and a favor I asked of him for the coming months. Dad said he wasn't sure he could fulfill it. His cancer had come back.

Him and my younger brother are both Chiropractors and Dad's office had an X-Ray machine. My brother X-rayed my dad. They found a very large tumor growing up up dad's spine. Pretty ironic for a man who dedicated his life to helping people's spine. The fountain of youth really.

Dad didn't want anybody to know the cancer had come back. My brother made a promise he wouldn't tell

I miss my folks so much. Believe it or not when I started writing this post I was going to talk about the two Harley Davidson's in my car port.

My mind is a mysterious thing. ;)

My mind is a mysterious thing. ;)

I like this story better than anything you could have said about a motorcycle.

I'm sorry for the death of your parents, only that it might bother you. Death's as natural as birth. I assume when people talk of death, they are thinking of their own. So, I continue....

I don't find death frightening at all. My time is coming, I've done what I needed to do already. I have no regrets in my life, and no concern with it ending. I've spent a lot of mental time cycles wondering what I'm here for. I decided a long time ago that there wasn't any "purpose", but that I could leave a "net positive". That's what my kids are for - the "net positive". They are all in college and have absorbed whatever advise and life knowledge I could impart on them.

I design schtuff for a living, but I don't delude myself that any of those gadgets make a drop of difference in the world.

Latest posts

Back