I learned something by accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
I work away from home 30 days then come home 30. Two days before i had to leave home i botteled a batch of pale ale and had 2 extra so the day before i had to leave i put them in the fridge to chill so i could at least have an idea of how it turned out. Of course it was flat but otherwise pretty good. I went to work for a month and when i got home i found the other brew still in the fridge. What the heck , it couldn't carbonate at that cold temp could it? I opened it , poured it in a glass, and what do i have here? A fully carbonated , very clear golden beer with a thick snow white head thats one of the best i have brewed ! Has anyone had this experience? Help me folks, i haven't read anything on this. I have read of cold crashing a lager but this was fermented at 65 degrees. Have a happy new year folks and be safe.

Sounds like patience pays. I have always felt the more I brew the better my beer, because I can let the beer age properly.

65*F isn't that far outside of many ale yeast optimum ranges. They don't exactly fall asleep instantly and drop with a thud (narcolepsy anyone?). It's more of a progressive thing. It appears you had more of the cool resistant cells in the other bottle.

Cold crashing for yeast, be they ale or lager, is more around 32*F.

Back