I just had to dump my first batch after nearly a year off because I am an idiot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seilenos

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years and usually fit in about 25 five gallon batches a year.
2020 was an outlier and I only ended up doing 4 batches, the last of which was in the spring.

I decided to try a Trappist Single as my return batch.
Brew day went well; hit all my numbers.
The batch seemed to ferment well so after 10 days I took a measurement and was at my predicted FG.
I was hyped because the sample tasted really good.

It was time to cold crash.
Part of cold crashing is that I have a carbination cap and a bit of hose that makes a nice seal in the hole where the 3-piece airlock usually sits on my plastic bucket fermentors.
I put just enough pressure so that the bucket top bulges a bit... if I put too much it escapes around the hose.
I "top it off" a few times as the beer cools over the course of a day.
Once it gets down to temp I don't need add any more CO2.

I had just started to dial up the pressure from "off". Historically I wait till the needle begins to move then watch the top of the bucket as I increase the regulator, dialing it back when I hear hissing.
As I am dialing the regulator I begin to think "Hmmm ... I don't remember it being that much turning to get the CO2 to flow".

Next thing I know a slug of foul-smelling-god-knows-what liquid shoots from the CO2 hose into the bucket.
I pull the hose out as soon as I realize what is going on but it was too late.

I also use the same setup CO2 setup to burst carb via the shake method.
The last time I did it in 2020 a slug of beer much have backed into the line and I didn't notice it.
That's where it sat for almost a year putrifying waiting for that blast of CO2 to unstick it and inoculate my fresh batch.

Once I smelled how bad the few drops that didn't make it into the bucket were I knew I had to dump everything.

I am so pissed at myself right now.

Sorry to read what happened. Really disappointing after brewing again. I commiserate with you having run into similar, not the same, but similar issues.

IMO, you are not an idiot. How was one to know a backflow occurred? Don't be hard on yourself. Have a different brew, enjoy your homebrew and use as a learning experience. Remember, in brewing, as in life, it's not how many times we fall, it's what we do when we stand again.

Is the gas tubing opaque or transparent?

The gas line is transparent ... I just had to actually look at it and it would have been obvious. Every other time I would have depressed the ball lock fitting with my finger as a test prior to hooking it up and that would have revealed the issue, too.

So many "woulda-shouldas" that would have prevented the outcome.

I think I might take a trip to the LHBS when they open tomorrow, get supplies, and brew again tomorrow night.

Based on your description, that would have happened to most people. Totally sucks but not your fault, really. I know it’s gross, but I would have kept the beer to see what happened 😄

Hit up that LHBS and get right back on that horse!

Dan

Update: I re-brewed the same recipe two days after I had to dump the previous one due to my stupidity.

Ten day ferment followed by cold-crash, keg, and force carb.
The result may be my best beer yet.
I'm really happy with how it turned out.

bummer...all that work only to dump it...

I've had a couple dumpers too...it really hurts...

As I am dialing the regulator I begin to think "Hmmm ... I don't remember it being that much turning to get the CO2 to flow".

Next thing I know a slug of foul-smelling-god-knows-what liquid shoots from the CO2 hose into the bucket.
I pull the hose out as soon as I realize what is going on but it was too late.

I also use the same setup CO2 setup to burst carb via the shake method.
The last time I did it in 2020 a slug of beer much have backed into the line and I didn't notice it.
That's where it sat for almost a year putrifying waiting for that blast of CO2 to unstick it and inoculate my fresh batch.

Once I smelled how bad the few drops that didn't make it into the bucket were I knew I had to dump everything.

Add an in line check valve. This one is about $10 but there are others available:

https://kegfactory.com/products/cm-...8JncPF92INnW-0CIQ83iyfqGc2aya9GMaAmq0EALw_wcB

Back