I just had the ugliest blowoff....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
spent $14 for the funnel with screen from Northern Brewer...didn't work very well, my runnings were at a standstill unless i scraped the screen, which was a pain so i moved the screen slightyl off-center...

my blowoff blew hop residue up to the top of the carboy....and now its stuck on the glass...what methods do you guys use to keep hops out of the carboy.

I use hop bags, even used a tea ball (stainless for the last hop addition tonight....I whirlpool, I let the kettle settle...maybe i don't let things settle in the carboy enough but I;m afraid of oxidation...

help me fins a happy medium here, i feel my beers suffer with tang type flavor and I'M ALL GRAIN:(

I use hop bags, and once I cool the wort, I just dump the whole thing into the fermenter. Everything settles to the bottom. Irish Moss helps. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do that, but that's what I do and most of my beer has turned out great, depending on the recipe. I think most people whirlpool and whatnot, but I don't.

I use hop bags, and once I cool the wort, I just dump the whole thing into the fermenter. Everything settles to the bottom. Irish Moss helps. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do that, but that's what I do and most of my beer has turned out great, depending on the recipe. I think most people whirlpool and whatnot, but I don't.

thanks, yeah my OG is always spot on, but i've been brewing all grain for a while and keep getting that extract twang...so I'm trying to narrow it down..

along the same lines, this funnel creates some serious foam, i'd really like for this to settle back before aerating with oxygen and pitching the yeast...as long as my carbot with the wort is covered in foil, i assume i can wait an hour or so, or is this really bad for the beer?

When I dump my beer into the fermenter I get a lot of foam. I just dump my starter or rehydrated yeast in it, aerate with a big ole spoon for a few minutes, then close it up. Again, I'm not saying that's the best way to do things, but that's what I do and it seems to be fine, so I wouldn't worry. I never notice any twang in my beers, although I've never done an extract, except for a gluten free beer.

Super newb question, but why don't you whirlpool enough because you are afraid of oxidation? I whirlpool after cooling to pitching temps, so oxidation is not a worry....you WANT to have oxygen in your wort once it's cooled, right??

I've also read that leaving the wort for a while without yeast in it is fine....again, cool wort SHOULD be oxygenated....of course, if you are oxygenating with a stone and pure O2, then you will probably lose some DO as it drops back to equilibrium with the air if you leave it sitting without a cover for a while, but I'm guessing that would take a long time...

Don't worry about anything stuck on the glass. It will wash off later (OxyClean).

I never use a hop bag and always have some bits of hops even after whirlpooling. They settle to the bottom after fermentation, and since they've already boiled they aren't going to change the flavor.

Just be happy you have such a strong fermentation going.

Latest posts

Back