Just ordered a Clear Beer Draught System and I have a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought I'd play around with fermenting in a keg, and in a moment of weakness ordered a CBDS with screen. But while I'm waiting for it to arrive I'm thinking of different ways I can use it. I usually ferment 5 gallon batches in my Speidel 7.9g fermenter with my NorCal oxygen-free transfer kit attached, and already use the built-in CO2 blowoff to purge my keg. For fermenting and kegging a neipa I'd like to do the same, but transfer to the keg, under pressure, through the CBDS as follows:

• Install the CDBS in the dry hop keg on the beer-out.
  • Load the dry hop keg with loose dry hops, (pellet). Seal the keg.
  • During fermentation use transfer kit blowoff through the beer-out CBDS to purge the keg.
  • After fermentation finishes, cold crash, then transfer beer to keg via oxgen-free kit, (I already do this part), but now using the CBDS on the beer out, (rather than the normal dip tube)..
  • After 3-4 days then transfer under pressure through the CBDS to a serving keg, (jumpered), to get the beer off the dry hops.
From my understanding the first four steps should be fine. But I've never read anywhere that I'd be able to transfer beer through the CBDS, from the dry hop keg to the serving keg. I can't think of why this won't work, but I'm hoping to get some opinions on it.

I have a CBDS with screen in my fermenter. I can dry hop in there then transfer out through it without much trouble. I recommend cold crashing first to try to drop the hops.

Thank you.
My one knock against this top draw system is that the silicone “cap”, which is required and on the end of the horizontal SS tube, splits after very little time. System will not work without it. I am currently more of a fan of the Williams Top Draw, also which I have as well as a couple I made (not as big a fan of those)

My one knock against this top draw system is that the silicone “cap”, which is required and on the end of the horizontal SS tube, splits after very little time. System will not work without it. I am currently more of a fan of the Williams Top Draw, also which I have as well as a couple I made (not as big a fan of those)
The silicone caps and O rings wear out over the years, but I haven't experienced them going bad that quickly. I bought a bunch of spares to have on hand for replacement anyway, though. I have quite a few of them.

Does the Top Draw need some kind of washed added to it for weight?

The silicone caps and O rings wear out over the years, but I haven't experienced them going bad that quickly. I bought a bunch of spares to have on hand for replacement anyway, though. I have quite a few of them.

Does the Top Draw need some kind of washed added to it for weight?
I use it as is without issue. I may add SS nut to the homemade ones I have though.

I use the top draw when I ferment and serve from the keg, no transfer. Works great. No problems so far.
If I am going to 'bottle' to keg,, that is transfer from a fermenter to a keg I use the Williams top floater with a weighted end.

All of our kegs are top-draw. The floats has 3 SS washers added, to keep the pick up submerged.

Back