I have so many jars of yeast in my fridge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit OCD and i like to keep three jars of each strain just in case. I could really do with another fridge just for yeast. Probably have 30+ jars and loads of soda bottles full.

I just dumped 6 jars. Still have 2 jars of kveik yeast; should get that down to 1 jar. (I really should dry some kveik yeast next time I brew with it) The freshest jar is under cider. Maybe I should make a starter with that to get it into a less hostile storage environment, then I can toss the 4 month old jar.

I only brew a few times a year, in a good year that might be 6 times. I would like to have a "house yeast" that I can brew everything with. The Voss kveik would almost do it if I kegged, but it struggles to carbonate because I can't keep the bottles warm enough except in the summer. Maybe kveik yeast in the summer and fall, and Kolsh or English ale yeast in the winter and spring. I really like the idea of freezing yeast because then I could do one-offs and save some to brew with again next year.

Latest posts

Back