I hate running, but this was awesome.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To combat my ever shrinking belt epidemic, I've decided to take up running. I hate running. I always have. I recognize the benefits of running (no memberships required, you can do it nearly anywhere, only a small initial investment required), but despite that I have chosen this path. And I find minimal enjoyment in it whatsoever.

Did I mention that I hate running?

But what I do like is the feeling afterward. The feeling of accomplishment and advancement. And today I have discovered another great feeling. I have always loved a good hot shower after a solid sweat, to me there is no cleaner feeling than AFTER a shower in which you were soaking wet when stepping INTO the shower. But today, I had a beer in the shower after my run. Now mind you, I have had beer plenty o' times in the shower before, but not after a run. I got done with my 1.7 miles (dont judge me, I'm new at this), turned on the shower and while it was warming up, poured myself a pint and prepared for the awesomeness to ensue.

And it was righteous, I tell you. RIGHTEOUS!!!

So anyway. In all seriousness, I'd actually like to take this to the next level. I have no intention of running a marathon, but I would like to be able to get to the point of being able to do a 5k without notice. I don't think that is an unreasonable goal. Any tips that anyone can provide? Running schedules? Runners diets? I'm not looking to completely make over my life, just adjustments so that I can continue to drink beer without any more limits than I've already imposed on myself.

Beer after a run is awesome. :D

If you're not going for distance, I would say running 3 miles 3-4 times a week is a good target. My recommendation for increasing distance would be to alternate running and walking, and then as you build up your fitness you just phase out the walking. Sounds simple, but it works.

Get fitted for appropriate shoes. It helps a lot. :D

I'm not sure even beer would get me to like running. I'm not sure a pack of crazed, starving, wolves would get me to like running.

But I do need to get more exercise, so maybe I should try the beer after a workout at the local gym. We really need to get back to using our paid memberships.

Beer after a run is awesome. :D

If you're not going for distance, I would say running 3 miles 3-4 times a week is a good target. My recommendation for increasing distance would be to alternate running and walking, and then as you build up your fitness you just phase out the walking. Sounds simple, but it works.

Get fitted for appropriate shoes. It helps a lot. :D

I work rotating shift work, and I make it a point to run shortly after waking up. Getting up at 4am before day shift schedule is brutal for me so I've been skipping those. But that only equates to 11 days out of every 5 weeks. Otherwise, I've been trying to go two days in a row, then skip a day. For the intervals, do you mean to actually run/walk the full distance goal and just phase out walking while keeping the distance? If so, then that's pretty much how I got this far. And if it really works that well, then I'll keep doing it.

As for shoes, I did that on a recommendation from a friend. I was having some ankle pain from when I worked my way past 1.25 miles. I got fitted and while I really feel much more comfortable, the pain is still there. Not nearly as bad, but it's only been a couple of weeks. I'm confident that it is simply conditioning that my body needs. I haven't run with any consistency since back in the Nav, when I got out in 2001.

Thanks for the input. Keep the tips coming, I really want this to become a regular part of my life.

I go to a gym, do the eliptical thingy or treadmill and some weights. It hasn't really taken weight off, just keeps it from getting on.
But, everyone I know who runs stops when they get into their late 40's and 50's and I've had many tell me their doctors told them running is going to mess up their knees as they get older. So. they all end up joining gyms.

My problem is that I think doing the same thing over and over gets to a point where it doesn't work as well. So, i think it's best to mix things up if you can. Either way, exercise is the best medicine for a majority of people.

I go to a gym, do the eliptical thingy or treadmill and some weights. It hasn't really taken weight off, just keeps it from getting on.
But, everyone I know who runs stops when they get into their late 40's and 50's and I've had many tell me their doctors told them running is going to mess up their knees as they get older. So. they all end up joining gyms.

My problem is that I think doing the same thing over and over gets to a point where it doesn't work as well. So, i think it's best to mix things up if you can. Either way, exercise is the best medicine for a majority of people.

I'm only 38 right now, but about a year and a half ago, I approached my heaviest weight ever in life (245) for the second time. I used chronic knee pain as an excuse to avoid the gym until that point. I started lifting weights and that shed a lot of my excess weight and honestly relieved my knee pain as well. I think it was a combination of the 20 pounds I lost and strengthening the joint.

I now stand at right around 220, but I know I have another easy 10 pounds to lose, with another 15 behind that with a little effort. I intend to eventually get back to lifting as well as running, but I plan on taking that up when the weather turns and my activity level starts to slow down a little.

And while I agree that doing the same thing has its limitations, it is still better than nothing. So I am doing my best to not get discouraged when I see my progress slowing and not use that as an excuse to quit.

check out the couch to 5k plan. Google it, it's all over the net. Pretty solid plan. I started with that and just finished my first mini tri this last weekend in 7th place. It was also all done in vibrams(toe shoes). Barefoot or the vibrams have changed my entire outlook on running.

Couch to 5k is indeed the best recommendation. I am not a runner, not built to run, not going to enjoy it, not even with beer. I walk quite frequently, I may get into a barely light jog, but no running. Even still, couch to 5k, even for someone like me who will probably never run 5k, is a great program. I've used it.

No, my belt keeps getting smaller, so I run to stretch it back out.

words1.jpg

:D

I'm going to say +3 to couch to 5k (or c25k). I had been training for a half marathon earlier in the year, but my running was sidelined by plantar fasciitis. Four months later my foot was ready to run, but boy, my lungs were not! My last long run was 9 miles and I was running at least 4 miles a day. After starting again, 1.5 miles was noticeably tough, so I decided I was essentially starting from scratch. I started doing the c25k program.

Since you are already running more than the average person that starts c25k, you might feel the first couple weeks are not very challenging. The first week has you run for 60 seconds and then walk for 90 seconds and continuing repeating that for 20 minutes. Rather than skip ahead, I'd say run so that it is challenging. Sprint for those 60 seconds if that's what works.

Here's where c25k started
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Yeah.. I don't run. I'll only run if I think I can't take whoever is chasing me, but I have a very large handgun, so...

"Built for comfort, not for speed."

Keep up the good work though! :mug:

I have the C25K app for my phone and that's what I used to start. It was great for keeping me on track when I started, but when I got to where I was actually running for any real length of time, I found myself too attentive to the app instead of focusing on the running. So while it was good to start out with, I don't really use it except to keep track of my runs. There's a setting that is for just free runs, no time or distance goal. By now, I have a pretty good idea of distances around my neiborhood, I just mentally plot out my course and go until I get home. Great suggestion, though.

It will be a big challenge in the wintertime, though. I have no intention of running outside, so I'll be running on a treadmill. I suppose it will be nice to watch tv while I run, but treadmills kill me. Unrelenting, unchanging speeds. No terrain features/challenges. No change of scenery. Really not looking forward to that part. But I guess it makes it all the more important to establish my endurance and running capacity before then.

It will be a big challenge in the wintertime, though. I have no intention of running outside, so I'll be running on a treadmill. I suppose it will be nice to watch tv while I run, but treadmills kill me. Unrelenting, unchanging speeds. No terrain features/challenges. No change of scenery. Really not looking forward to that part. But I guess it makes it all the more important to establish my endurance and running capacity before then.

Many of the treadmills out there nowadays have the variability built into them. The incline/decline to mimick hills and will spped and slow according to a program. At least the ones I ran into at the Gym do. I have noticed though that treadmills seem to be easier than actual moving running. I think it is due to wind resistance and the fact that you are actually running rather than moving your legs to keep up with the floor.

I got into running about a year ago and really need to get back into it. I used to run~3 miles during my lunch break 2 days a week and lift 3 days occasionally getting out on a Saturday for a run. I too hate running. What allowed me to enjoy it was 2 things. 1, trail running. Running through the woods, to me, was far more enjoyable and entertaining. 2, sign up for events. 5ks, fun runs, mud runs, whatever. Having an event coming up is motivation to not skip.

I started frequently running about 6 months ago. As a person who has always hated running, I learned to really love it. You hate it when it feels like you're going to die during every run but if you stick with it you're going to change your mind. The run gets easier as your body adapts for it, you're motivated by the way it makes you look and feel, and you learn to find some peace while out on a run. I've gotten to the point where I will never even run with headphones in because it's so nice to just be aware of my surroundings, especially while running wooded trails.

The best advice I have is to get proper shoes, pace yourself (don't push too hard), and stick with a regular schedule (like one day on one day off). The schedule helps to keep you from justifying laying on the couch instead of going for a run.

Many of the treadmills out there nowadays have the variability built into them. The incline/decline to mimick hills and will spped and slow according to a program. At least the ones I ran into at the Gym do. I have noticed though that treadmills seem to be easier than actual moving running. I think it is due to wind resistance and the fact that you are actually running rather than moving your legs to keep up with the floor.

I suppose I've never use the incline on the treadmills. But it still won't help my lack of enthusiasm for the aforementioned reasons.

I got into running about a year ago and really need to get back into it. I used to run~3 miles during my lunch break 2 days a week and lift 3 days occasionally getting out on a Saturday for a run. I too hate running. What allowed me to enjoy it was 2 things. 1, trail running. Running through the woods, to me, was far more enjoyable and entertaining. 2, sign up for events. 5ks, fun runs, mud runs, whatever. Having an event coming up is motivation to not skip.

I have friends at work who keep telling me that I should sign up for a 5k. I haven't had too much trouble with the motivation to go. Except when I hurt my ankle and took a week and a half off, it was tough getting back into it. Once upon a time, I used to trail run with a buddy. Noland trail in Newport News was pretty fun. Around the bend, down the hill, over the bridge, up the hill, past the mile marker... It was enough to keep me distracted and challenged at the same time. I don't have anything in my immediate vicinity, I live in the city. There are a BUNCH of "trails" that the city has demarcated to promote exercise, but it's all still flat sidewalk.

Good for you! It is the effort that counts and you're doing a great job keeping at it.

Thanks for the support. Part of my motivation is to teach my kids better than I've been taught. My son is pretty actively involved in sports, and he's taken to being conscious of what he eats. My daughter, not so much. So before I can tell them what to do or not to do, I have to be the example.

I used to never run outside, unless it was a race. For some reason that I can't remember, I started running outside. I haven't been on a dreadmill in over a year. It just seems more comfortable to me. Even if it's hot and there's no wind, I'm moving through the still air and my sweat has a chance to actually work, but when I'm inside it just runs down my face and into my eyes.

I don't know why you say you don't want to run outside, but the reason that I was hesitant was probably self-consciousness. Then I realized that there were probably just two groups of people that would judge me: other runners and people in cars. From what I've found, runners are a pretty supportive group, and not very judgmental, and the people in cars are sitting on their asses, so who cares what they think!

So now I don't really care, especially in the winter. Tights? Who cares, they keep me warm and comfortable. Can't find my gloves? Socks will work on my hands.

Where I am within the city limits, they do a decent job of plowing the sidewalks and streets. But there still tends to be some snow left on the sidewalks. I don't live too far from the high school, so all the foot traffic packs the snow pretty tight and pretty much turns it to ice. Not interested in running on that. As for the street, it's not much better. The snow doesn't make it's way ALL the way up onto the curb, so I kind of have to run in the middle of the street. I've seen plenty of people around here run in the winter, and I try to give them space if I can. But I've also seen a LOT of them dive out from in front of cars because other drivers apparently aren't as observant as I am. That scares me. So it's not so much about self consciousness or comfort, it's about safety. Besides, I didn't exactly care for running to begin with. I can't say I enjoy it, but I'm getting better about it. I'm sure running on the treadmill will have the same comfort curve as well.

I'm a reformed run hater also. My wife had started couch to 5k several times and quit. Last year when she tried again, I joined her to be supportive. She's out of town this week and I've been running solo, so I'm pretty sure the habit has stuck, though we did slack off some with the heat & humidity. My biggest problem with running is that it's boring. My two solutions are trail running and podcasts. Trail running is less boring since there is stuff to trip on, smack me in the face if I'm not paying attention, and the occasional mountain biker to dodge (which I could do without). Podcasts are great because you can learn about beer and brewing while your burning calories so you can drink more.

Go to a running store and get properly fitted for running shoes...that is the most important thing. Don't increase mileage more than 10% a week. And run outside...treadmills are for hamsters (and during hurricanes and blizzards). Beer is a great recovery drink, but don't forget to hydrate.

I run every race within about 50 miles. 800m to half marathon. I don't particularly enjoy the running bit, but the winning is great and I can drink and eat as much as I like.:mug:

I hate running too, but I have been thinking about taking it up. Need to get in shape. I'll have to read through this thread when I have more time tonight.

Beer drinkers with a running problem, unite!

...seriously, though, keep up the good work. It does get less unpleasant, and if you stick with it for a couple of years, you may well find yourself enjoying it.

+1 running outside, it helps break up the run; it's a little mind-over-mattery, but, being able to think about just getting to the next landmark instead of the whole however-many miles in the run seems to make it a lot easier, and definitely increases the odds of actually finishing, at least for me.

Reading this thread I keep remembering the Robin Williams Live at the Met bit on Cocaine. Where he says "You don't need cocaine! There's another way to get real high, and really mess your mind up, it's called marathon running!"

Way far and away the most important thing for me when I run is music. Walkman, ipod, headphones, whatever.

Another thing that helps me is to have specific distance targets and then just “run” at whatever speed that day I’m able to comfortably do ... by comfortably I mean holding myself at a speed just beyond what would allow me to hold a conversation (if someone was with me) without gasping/being out-of-breath.

I’m lucky ... I have a really nice park nearby that has a perfect 1/3 mile loop running right along the Detroit River. This allows me to tweak the distance I run to what works for me that day. Great scenery, nice breeze off the water, and music ... it's like meditation.
A nice setting makes a huge difference too. Here’s my running loop ...

3bcd47886616ace3e937dcfd1d8b633d

Pic-Depts-BASFPark2.jpg

6631346817_e31b3dd53b_m.jpg

As far as running motivation ... along the beer-in-the-shower idea ...
Find a destination that is your target running distance from your house. Drive there and hide a soft-side cooler with a shoulder strap containing cold beer nearby (but well hidden).
Then you can run to the location, retrieve the beer and have a few cold beers on the walk home.
Carbing back up and rehydrating and such.

Jacob, those are some great images. I live about three quarters of a mile from a lake. The Heinz factory built a walkway along the waters edge. It's pretty much a bridge that goes around the factory about ten feet offshore. It makes for some great views, and when I was doing my intervals, I would run down there for the distraction. Total distance for the loop that I would take was about two and a half miles. My goal for the next month is to make that in a continuous run and from there start making the path a little longer to get to the 5k mark.

OP - Good for you!

I started training for a half marathon last month and last week's "long run" was 5.5 miles. This weekend is 6 miles, which is the longest I've ever walked or ran. I'm 5'11" and 255 with a definite brewer's body, so it's not impossible to do. Honestly, it's all psychological. I really think almost any healthy person could get up and run/walk a 5K - easily. I've been dealing with the usual running pains and it's not always easy to get through. My best recommendation is to get yourself properly fitted for running shoes and to continue to keep a positive outlook. I hate every minute of running but that feeling when you get past the half-way point and turn around for home is great. Getting home, taking a shower, and being able to eat/drink whatever you like without guilt is great too. I really recommend the Map My Run app on the i-Phone - It works great. Keep track of your runs and your paces as they're great motivators to build upon. Oh, and make sure you get a pair of running/workout underwear - trust me you'll thank me.

+1 to the map my run app. Android has the same thing and it is wonderful. Keeps track of pace, mileage, and calories burned (which it's fairly accurate against a heart rate monitor). This isn't really the place for a full on proper running discussion, proper running form far outweighs proper shoes. BUT if you're just recreationally running not too big a deal.

If you want to get serious about running, there are tons of books on the subject!

i'm not sure even beer would get me to like running. I'm not sure a pack of crazed, starving, wolves would get me to like running.

lmfao!!!!!!!!!
I use to go to the gym 2 hrs everyday (I run my own business), it sucked at first, but after a few months I felt like a junkie, I had to go to the gym!
Unfortunately, my back injuries flared up and I haven't been back to a gym in a few yrs.

Alright, everyone. The support here has been nothing short of fantastic. And with some of your recommendations, I signed up for a 5k. I kept a positive attitude toward training, and did it. This morning! The results are already posted. I had a finishing time of 30:52 and was #197 out of 450. I had a couple of buddies that I told I was doing this and the two of them, along with one of their wives, signed up with me. Not a blazing speed, but it's where I'm starting and can easily improve from here.

It was a Halloween run for a school in the Grand Rapids area. While I didn't get particularly excited about the run, it was pretty fun watching the different costumes. I'm sure a few people saw I was kind of struggling because I had several people on the sidelines and in the run telling me to keep it up and don't quit. It really was a great experience. Afterward, the four of us got breakfast, and I went home for a long, hot shower. Complete with a nice cold pint. Spectacular finish.

Thanks again for everyone who contributed to this thread. You really are an amazing group.

Alright, everyone. The support here has been nothing short of fantastic. And with some of your recommendations, I signed up for a 5k. I kept a positive attitude toward training, and did it. This morning! The results are already posted. I had a finishing time of 30:52 and was #197 out of 450. I had a couple of buddies that I told I was doing this and the two of them, along with one of their wives, signed up with me. Not a blazing speed, but it's where I'm starting and can easily improve from here.

It was a Halloween run for a school in the Grand Rapids area. While I didn't get particularly excited about the run, it was pretty fun watching the different costumes. I'm sure a few people saw I was kind of struggling because I had several people on the sidelines and in the run telling me to keep it up and don't quit. It really was a great experience. Afterward, the four of us got breakfast, and I went home for a long, hot shower. Complete with a nice cold pint. Spectacular finish.

Thanks again for everyone who contributed to this thread. You really are an amazing group.

Way to go! Hope you stick with it. Fall is the best running weather. Had talked about doing a super hero 5k today, but decided to save the entry fee and other costs for beer trip in a few weeks. :D

I don't like running either. Why are you being chased? Did you take something that wasn't yours?

Back