I Hate Buying a Car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
Went looking for a car today. $14,900 on special today for $13,999. We offered $10,000 hoping to negotiate. Can you believe his counter offer was $13,888? Needless to say, we walked. BTW, I'll still be walking to work next week!

DO what I do, don't spend over $500 for a used car. I've owned some great (and ****ty) cars over my time doing this. I had a 75 Gremlin that I baught (and eventually sold) for $500. A Ford Torres (sp?) for free (and subsiquently left on the side of the road dead somewhere near Big Bear, CA...heheheh, Ford...Found On Road Dead....Ford), a 1983 Mercadiez Benz for $100, and my current car is a 1993 Buick Skylark that I got for $100. It's a work horse.

Why buy a car for $15,000 when it looses a ton of money right when you drive it off the lot? That's madness. Get a used car. There's tons of good ones around, tons I tells ya!

I have always been the same way, until recently. Now I realize that sometimes it is nice to have a car that isn't a pile of crap. I have loved all of my vehicles, but now I want something that I don't have to work on constantly and I don't have to worry about on a regular basis. A car that is, at least somewhat, respectable. Also, leaving your car dead on the side of the road is something that certain people do...

meandmuy dad were parked in a gas station ot one night and a cop tell us if we are sleeping here we have to move somewhere elese. and a guy tried to tow that car but could not. 300 $ man. no one could steal it cause the ignition came out with the key. maybe no one WOULD steal it more liker it.

oy yeah, one time nissan (reat rides btw) tried to charge me 75 for flooe mats! i said they domnt even have yosimmite sam onem. no way! hose beast.

We've been saving cash for 2 years for a car. We need something a bit bigger and less miles than we currently own. Unfortunately, today was the 1 day we had to buy a car for at least a month. Yeah $75 for flooe mats really bites!!

I have always been the same way, until recently. Now I realize that sometimes it is nice to have a car that isn't a pile of crap. I have loved all of my vehicles, but now I want something that I don't have to work on constantly and I don't have to worry about on a regular basis. A car that is, at least somewhat, respectable.
I dig. But all cars have problems. I find that the newer the car the more problems (and costly problems) they have. My folks and friends are taking their cars in every other week or month and those are high priced, new cars.

All of my cars, especially the old ones, I could fix myself (no onboard computers, spacious work enviroment, cheap parts), or take it somewhere and have it fixed for cheap in an hour or two. And they RARELY broke down.

No offense, but who cares what you drive? It's a car, they have four wheels and get you from point A to point B, that's all they are for, the rest is just to fluff egos.

Get a $500 used car (you can find nice looking ones), and when it dies on you, no love lost, get another used car. Spend the $13,500 you just saved to buy brewing equiptment. :tank:
Also, leaving your car dead on the side of the road is something that certain people do...
I had a good reason. The car belonged to a friend of mine who went crazy and had to go back to his home state. I took care of things for him and his parents said "have the car" (which had been sitting on the side of the road for the past two weeks). I fixed the alternator and gave it a new belt. I couldn't find the title for it, and then I opened the glove compartment and about 15 parking tickets came falling out, all recent and obviously unpaid.

So I went to drive from LA to Big Bear the next week (only had it a week). It overheated. I got the fanbelt replaced at a station (thinking that was the cause), and it overheated again. I left it on the side of the road for dead. Really, it wasn't my problem to begein with. Still have the keys, don't know what happened to the car. :tank:

No ego fluffing here. I apriciate having a nice environment. And I wouldn't drive that car if they asked me to. Too many issues, what if you had gotten pulled over?

There really shouldn't be significant negotiation on cars nowadays. Dealers know anyone can pull the dealer invoice from the Internet. I kinda doubt invoice was $9K on a $14K list (which is about what it would have to be for your $10K offer to be viable).

Why buy a car for $15,000 when it looses a ton of money right when you drive it off the lot? That's madness. Get a used car. There's tons of good ones around, tons I tells ya!

It doesn't lose that money if you drive it into the ground. I replaced our 1990 van in 2007 and retired my 1988 hatchback commuter in 2005. Both were still running but getting rusty and I was starting to fix them too much. Little things start to go on old cars. You start getting vacuum leaks, hoses rupture, pulleys wear out. It becomes one thing after another and all the accumulated dings on the interior and exterior really add up. SWMBO needed something safe, and I needed a new commuter.

By the way, you can buy software and an adapter for your car's computer now. I have AutoEnginuity to analyze my vehicles. It's a little pricey, but it doesn't take too many saved trips to the garage to pay for it.

I always drive new cars, and rarely have troubles. When I start having trouble, the warranty takes care of it. Once the warranty runs out, I sell it and buy another new car. The piece of mind of new car/roadside assistance/warranty/onstar and all the safety features makes me and my family feel a little safer on long road trips. Currently I drive a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and a 2005 Dodge Ram. Both awesome vehicles.

Currently I drive a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and a 2005 Dodge Ram. Both awesome vehicles.

Our current car is a '03 vibe. Absolutely love it. 87,000 miles and hope to get another 7 years out of it!

Yeah mine has 40000km and the 09 is a beautiful car, as long as I can get another 5 years out of it I am happy. Those Toyota engines are awesome, lol. The 2009 has very little GM product on it, I would say it is 95% Toyota.

I've always been told that if you buy a used car your buying somebody else's headache. I know that isn't true for everyone (I don't want this thread to turn into a rant about how great used cars are....) but I have found this to be true for me. Every used car I have purchased, rather from a lot or from an ad in the paper/net, has given me nothing but trouble. I may have saved on the initial cost, but I spent alot more in upkeep/maintenance/headaches. Not to mention the fear of driving more than 5 miles from the house. My last 6 vehicles I've bought have been new (GM/Dodge/VW)....never a problem one or left me stranded. Worth all the depreciation in the world for that...........

Some envornments you dont want a 500$ junker. Here in alaska that can actually kill you.

The first car I ever purchased brand new was my 07 Silverado. I promised Id never buy new again, but I am looking at a Traverse now for the wife. Her RX300 is hitting 100K and its startign to show its 8 years of age.

I've always been told that if you buy a used car your buying somebody else's headache. I know that isn't true for everyone (I don't want this thread to turn into a rant about how great used cars are....) but I have found this to be true for me. Every used car I have purchased, rather from a lot or from an ad in the paper/net, has given me nothing but trouble. I may have saved on the initial cost, but I spent alot more in upkeep/maintenance/headaches. Not to mention the fear of driving more than 5 miles from the house. My last 6 vehicles I've bought have been new (GM/Dodge/VW)....never a problem one or left me stranded. Worth all the depreciation in the world for that...........

More power to ya, man. I'd have to say that I ride the middle of the road on this one. I prefer to buy used vehicles that are only 3 to 4 years old. They lost the majority of the depreciation but are young enough to not have significant problems. And I always keep a grand on hand for an emergency fund, which I have not had to touch for a long time. I typically keep the car for about 4 years at which point I'm usually more bored with the car than anything, but my last one stayed for six and a half years. I also have the benefit of a good honest mechanic. I know that's typically an oxymoron, but in this case, I feel he's a legitimate guy.

More power to ya, man. I'd have to say that I ride the middle of the road on this one. I prefer to buy used vehicles that are only 3 to 4 years old. They lost the majority of the depreciation but are young enough to not have significant problems. And I always keep a grand on hand for an emergency fund, which I have not had to touch for a long time. I typically keep the car for about 4 years at which point I'm usually more bored with the car than anything, but my last one stayed for six and a half years. I also have the benefit of a good honest mechanic. I know that's typically an oxymoron, but in this case, I feel he's a legitimate guy.

Seems like a lot of work, worry and $ for a car.

I hate buying cars, as well. Only had 6 in 37 years. #4 went to one of those charity places three years ago, not because I was done with it at 204,000 miles; but because I moved to Oregon and California could not send me a copy of the title. "No record" Bought it there and it was registered there for 15 years!

My van, I bought new in 2004. The 4x4 I bought last Fall is an '86. Just needed something that can handle a bit of snow, but it's been great for tossing firewood, hay, dirt and gravel in. Has some odd noises in it, but only $1100, who cares?

There really shouldn't be significant negotiation on cars nowadays. Dealers know anyone can pull the dealer invoice from the Internet. I kinda doubt invoice was $9K on a $14K list (which is about what it would have to be for your $10K offer to be viable).

You have to take dealer invoice and subtract the dealer hold backs and any other special programs the manufacturer is offering. Then you are close to the dealer's bottom line.

I can't and won't buy a new car. I am not afraid to turn my own wrenches so there is a lot of money saved there.

I would look for a used certified car if I were you. There is still quite a bit of negotiating room and most still carry a warranty of some sorts. Get more car for your buck too.

Seems like a lot of work, worry and $ for a car.

Actually, I think its to the contrary. At least for the last car. The most expensive repair I had on that thing was a new starter. And that was around 140k miles. I bought it with just over 60k. Otherwise, the only things I had to replace on it were tires, brakes, battery, etc. Tire shop wanted to charge me a grand to replace the shocks and struts. I found a set on ebay with springs and replaced them myself. Just needed to borrow a spring compressor. As for repairs, simple things I can do myself, such as shocks and whatnot. More difficult things end up costing me more than they should. I always end up breaking something else along the way and need to buy more parts than I need to and it takes about 3-4 times longer than it should as well. That's why I'm ok with bringing it to the mechanic. It only costs me about $5 more to have him change it than it is to do it myself, and I get a good once over about every 3 months to see if I need any repairs. Works out well for me.

Actually, I think its to the contrary. At least for the last car. The most expensive repair I had on that thing was a new starter. And that was around 140k miles. I bought it with just over 60k. Otherwise, the only things I had to replace on it were tires, brakes, battery, etc. Tire shop wanted to charge me a grand to replace the shocks and struts. I found a set on ebay with springs and replaced them myself. Just needed to borrow a spring compressor. As for repairs, simple things I can do myself, such as shocks and whatnot. More difficult things end up costing me more than they should. I always end up breaking something else along the way and need to buy more parts than I need to and it takes about 3-4 times longer than it should as well. That's why I'm ok with bringing it to the mechanic. It only costs me about $5 more to have him change it than it is to do it myself, and I get a good once over about every 3 months to see if I need any repairs. Works out well for me.

As a former mechanic I can say one thing. Driving a piece of junk sucks. Nothing about it makes anyone happy. Sure you saved a few dollars, but in the end it ends up being a few dollars a day at most.

My Silverado is leaps and bounds better than my 00 silverado. I have no doubt Ill be hitting 200K in it, and thats through Alaskan winters and tons of hauling. On top of getting 16mpg city, 13 during the winter (4wd). Its much better than driving a 80 toyota corolla that gets 19mpg and cant even drive 20+ days a year up here.

Then again, my opion is that of one whos climate is 200x harder than most of the US. So having a Good car is essential to daily life, especially during days when its -20.

As a former mechanic I can say one thing. Driving a piece of junk sucks. Nothing about it makes anyone happy. Sure you saved a few dollars, but in the end it ends up being a few dollars a day at most.
Then again, my opion is that of one whos climate is 200x harder than most of the US. So having a Good car is essential to daily life, especially during days when its -20.

Your situation is a little bit different. I would want something unquestionably reliable in your situation as well. Plus, I dont think AAA has service in your neck of the woods :)

Actually the car was purchased at auction. The black book on it was between 8-10K.

That's just it, my last car wasn't a piece of junk. I bought it in pretty respectable condition and kept up on the maintenance. When I sold it, it had just a shade over 180k miles on it. For six and a half years, I was only ever stranded once and that was the starter. I surely won't make the assumption that I can do that with any car. Before I bought it, I did my homework. I chose a car that had a history of minimal problems with a low cost to purchase as a used car. If it makes any difference, I will also add that it happened to be my first foreign vehicle. I just hate having to lose so much value in a new vehicle just by owning it. I also don't want a piece of crap that I have to repair all the time, so this is my compromise. I still lose value, just not as much and not as fast.

Snyder, sounds like you are looking at used cars, or new to you.

Look for an Auto Auction broker. Basically you tell them what you are looking for and he will go over candidates that fit your description in the upcoming auctions. Tell them what you are willing to pay, a good broker will be able to tell you approx where the auction will end at, and they go and bid the car/cars for you. The guy around here charges $500 over the cost of the auction. You are getting used cars at dealer pricing.
Just have to get used to the idea of buy a car unseen :) So I wouldn't go more than a year or two old.

My 2000 Chrysler died a little over two weeks ago and I'm currently trying to find a car. Engine is shot in the old car, it had 108,500 miles on it. I figured it was going to go within the next couple years due to the crap engine those cars had in them but it was a little earlier than I expected. My car previous to that one lasted 25 years and nearly 200,000 miles (1975 Plymouth Fury).

Thus far I've been leaning toward Hyundais as they have a good warranty and Consumer Reports shows that they seem to get better with each model year (the old ones weren't so great). I'm thinking going new on it as you lose 40,000 miles and 4 years on the powertrain warranty on a used one since it drops back to the standard warranty term; the 100,000 mi 10 year powertrain warranty is a first-purchaser only thing.

I haven't sat in the driver's seat of a manual transmission in over 10 years but I'm thinking about maybe going with the 2010 Elantra "Blue" model. the "Blue" only comes in manual, and is cheaper than the other two trim packages. We already have a car that can handle cargo (just got a 2009 Nissan Versa like a month and a half ago) so I just need something that's good on gas I can get back and forth to work on that is reliable and I'll actually like driving. Problem is, I need some remedial practice on a stick first, I don't want to show up at the dealership and ask to test drive something I'm going to stall 5 times before I get it out of the lot.

I like the purple color the 2009 Elantras came in, but they discontinued it.

Yeah mine has 40000km and the 09 is a beautiful car, as long as I can get another 5 years out of it I am happy. Those Toyota engines are awesome, lol. The 2009 has very little GM product on it, I would say it is 95% Toyota.

thats because it is a Toyota matrix. Very little cosmetic changes and they are made or were made on the same line.

I just bought a 2007 Dodge Charger for $8800. Wifes company car and we have the option to buy them out before they go to auction. I buy a new car every 10 -12 years my latest is the 2007 Ram diesel. My last was a 1998 GMC Savanna Van . Only problem with it in 10 years the wiper motor went and the drivers window motor.

My theory on cars is to spend less than $400, or more than $10,000. The middle ground just doesn't make sense to me. With a super cheap car, you drive it into the ground and buy a new one every year or so (hopefully longer). With a nice car, you drive it and maintain it so the maintenance cost are almost zero. Of course with the nice car, you have to pay for it.

IMO, buying in the middle ground is where you pay a lot of money for the car (over $1-2k), then you have stuff breaking pretty regularly and costing over a grand a year anyway. They just don't make sense to me. Maybe I have had the worst luck in the world, but none-the-less that is my stance.

No offense, but who cares what you drive?

No one but me and the greyhounds. Not into nice, but junkers are junkers. I'd rather spend a little more and get something that will still be running next week.

I also find myself buying cars that are around 3-5 years old and then just driving them until they are requiring major repairs. I have never really understood the point of buying new cars, when I can buy the model that is 2-3 years older, and essentially the same car for about 40% less. If someone wants to do that and get the warranty and all that, more power to ya, but it just is not for me. And I would not ever buy a $500 car. That is just asking for problems.

My current car is a '97 Infiniti I30 that I bought in 2003 with 80,000 miles on it. I paid it off over two years ago and at 161,xxx it is still running like a top. The only things I have had to do to it other than the basics like tires and pads and such is a new starter ($300) and a new rotor and caliper ($400). Well worth it considering I haven't had a car payment for almost two and a half years.

My current car is a '97 Infiniti I30 that I bought in 2003 with 80,000 miles on it. I paid it off over two years ago and at 161,xxx it is still running like a top. The only things I have had to do to it other than the basics like tires and pads and such is a new starter ($300) and a new rotor and caliper ($400). Well worth it considering I haven't had a car payment for almost two and a half years.

I hate you. If I were to buy that same car, I guarantee it would blow the tranny, get a leak in the coolant system, then the exhaust would fall off. That car is exactly what I will never buy again. Bad luck with cars runs in my family though... no amount of service and preventative maintenance seems to help us. That is why I buy newer cars now and stay the H away from 100,000 miles on anything I am buying.

You know, I really don't hate buying a car. It's not something I do very often, but it's just a business deal. Go in there and act like it's a business deal. Have your price in mind.

TL

I'm looking for another car. My 1986 Honda Accord has a slipping tranny and the front axle is broke. The front tires rub on the back of the fender well.
I am another that a car is a car. I just need to get from point A to point B. I am looking for one of those $1,000.00 cars that will last me two or three years and then you have to give them away to get rid of them.
Also, my motorcycle is my main transportation so a car for me is a secondary and we also have my wifes car to go places.

Do you have carmax near you? They are not in every state but quite a few. We got my wife a 06 Honda Pilot for less then KBB and so far its been a great care. You can get a warranty too (which we got) that pretty much protects the entire car for like 3 years. My car was totaled about two weeks ago so I will be going to carmax tomorrow or thursday to hopefully purchase a dodge charger (Hemi!)

All I'll say is that I LOVE my Subaru and I will continue to buy Subaru (barring unfortunate circumstances in the market in the future).

Latest posts

Back