I hate #!@#&*( Auto Repair Shops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just found out that my 3 year old "stainless steel" exhaust system/catalytic convertor needs to be replaced again.

I paid $2000 for a fully welded stainless steel system, but got a basic aluminized system. The entire thing is rotted. My tailpipe fell off.

The national garage chain in question (everyone on this site would know them), tried to tell me that it was a different grade of SS, and that the rusting was normal. They said getting 3 years on a replacement exhaust is pretty common.

They balked at fixing it until I threatened to start calling the news, and the attorney General's office. At least I'm getting it replaced for nothing.

Apparently, if you have a new exhaust put on, you need to send a sample of it to a qualified metallurgist to make sure you're getting what you paid for.

Normal Galvanized exhaust does not rust in 3 years, so they are using really really crappy parts, bottom of the barrel. I am surprised a national chain would even touch a part with that low quality.

As far as stainless, I love it, and good choice trying to go for it. I went to stainless/Borla on my car and it's the only thing that is NOT rusting.....

When I needed my catalytic converter replaced, I drove back to my home town to have a friend from High School's dad do the work. I have been burned by mechanics so many times, I will only go to someone I have a connection to now.

Truth is, they are right. There are different grades of stainless and some places use grades that aren't very good for exhaust. They sell it because it sounds like it should last as long as the OEM stainless.

Driving short distances often will wreak havoc on your exhaust as moisture collects when you warm it up and doesn't leave until it's hot enough to evaporate it all out. Then it says in there and helps rust it out from the inside.

Couple years ago I bought a Stainless muffler (Major Brand) and welded it on myself. About 1.5 years later it started sounding loud again, so I check and found the shell had crack along the end seam. Nope, it's not rotting out yet, but it's not undamaged. Wonder if I should try to weld that crack or just let it go.

The real fix would be to buy a brand of exhaust parts that are known to be reliable. I wouldn't trust the major exhaust shops for this.

I drive short distances, but it's not a cheap stainless, (techtonicsTuning) and I am using a Stainless borla muffler and have no issues as of yet (it's been over 10 years, in Chicago, and yes, I drive it in winter)

But I also, almost once a week, do drive it up to temperature. (oil at 210-212 for at least 20 minutes) partially because of that, and because I like driving this car.

Just found out that my 3 year old "stainless steel" exhaust system/catalytic convertor needs to be replaced again.

I paid $2000 for a fully welded stainless steel system, but got a basic aluminized system. The entire thing is rotted. My tailpipe fell off.

The national garage chain in question (everyone on this site would know them), tried to tell me that it was a different grade of SS, and that the rusting was normal. They said getting 3 years on a replacement exhaust is pretty common.

16 to 18 gauge 409 slightly ferrous stainless steel.
Cheap to buy, easy to manipulate/bend and easily flux core welded in the shop.

Yes they sold you stainless exhaust, but the road salts used in that area of the world lay waste to any untreated metal.

When you get the vehicle back I would suggest drilling a few small (1/8" or less) holes ,after the muffler, at points where moisture can collect. I suspect that there are a few.

Exhaust piping and the muffler are classified as wear parts. so there isn't a huge push to make them durable.

Me Too! And I feel your pain..... That's why we do it all ourselves if possible. We have 3 daughters all of them are willing to learn about their cars and get their hands dirty, because I would make them learn, and not just pay or allow them to pay to have it worked on somewhere.
I just helped my youngest rebuild the motor in her truck...its back in and running now as of last week end and she feels great!. Great bonding experiences for us too.. She is learning about MAP sensors and how to test them as I type this, because hers is not function properly. She is up at the shop right now and I have answered the phone 3 time in the last 15 min. walking her through stuff.:rockin:

Here it is on the way out...and her cutting the ring ridges off in perpetration of pulling the pistons out in the second photo...none of it is any harder then making beer actually...just a lot dirtier ;)
She had some exhaust issues to work out where we had to part the system but was able to use easy-seal clamps instead of welding it.

20170105_163648.jpg

20170106_145758.jpg

I've been living in Buffalo for 30+ years. This is the first exhaust I've had to replace since the mid-80s.

I had to get it done because my catalytic convertor crapped out. The pipes were fine. When they pulled the old OEM exhaust out, there wasn't a mark on the pipes. That tells me that they must have used some really crappy replacement metal.

All I know is that I won't go there again. Actually, I stopped going there a few years ago for other reasons. I took my car in for a new clutch. They gave me a great estimate. After 2 days, they called and said they couldn't do the work. It was too complicated. I had to pay $120 to get the car towed to the dealership.

I've been living in Buffalo for 30+ years. This is the first exhaust I've had to replace since the mid-80s.

I had to get it done because my catalytic convertor crapped out. The pipes were fine. When they pulled the old OEM exhaust out, there wasn't a mark on the pipes. That tells me that they must have used some really crappy replacement metal.

All I know is that I won't go there again. Actually, I stopped going there a few years ago for other reasons. I took my car in for a new clutch. They gave me a great estimate. After 2 days, they called and said they couldn't do the work. It was too complicated. I had to pay $120 to get the car towed to the dealership.

So they split the g/box from the engine and then decided it was too hard? Then just left it with you to sort out? That is some extremely bad service - they could of at least taken it to the dealer for you... but I don't know if I would of trusted them with even that "simple" job :(

So they split the g/box from the engine and then decided it was too hard? Then just left it with you to sort out? That is some extremely bad service - they could of at least taken it to the dealer for you... but I don't know if I would of trusted them with even that "simple" job :(

It's a Honda truck. That seemed to be part of the problem according to them.

I think they just under-quoted me, and when they realized that they bailed. The estimate they gave me was a lot less than I ended up paying. They did 2 days worth of work that I never paid for, so it cost them some money.

That's when I stopped going there. I'm willing to pay more to have the dealer do the work now.

16 to 18 gauge 409 slightly ferrous stainless steel.
Cheap to buy, easy to manipulate/bend and easily flux core welded in the shop.

Yes they sold you stainless exhaust, but the road salts used in that area of the world lay waste to any untreated metal.

When you get the vehicle back I would suggest drilling a few small (1/8" or less) holes ,after the muffler, at points where moisture can collect. I suspect that there are a few.

All the above. A 1/8" hole to drain moisture in low spots does wonders.

Sorry you got burned OP, we have one really good exhaust shop left and people always complain about his price, once you educate them that he uses better than OEM stuff they change their minds.

I had custom exhaust made a few times, and it's nice when they use better materials, and i have found the prices are reasonable for what you get.

the shop was Thunderbird, in san diego, ca. He laughed at first, then was not laughing when I dropped off the car. it was his first time with a vw 1.8L that needed 3" exhaust and custom down pipe, .... (back in the mid 90's)

my car now is again a vw, but they make good aftermarket exhaust for it already, so no need for custom.

Me Too! And I feel your pain..... That's why we do it all ourselves if possible. We have 3 daughters all of them are willing to learn about their cars and get their hands dirty, because I would make them learn, and not just pay or allow them to pay to have it worked on somewhere.
I just helped my youngest rebuild the motor in her truck...its back in and running now as of last week end and she feels great!. Great bonding experiences for us too.. She is learning about MAP sensors and how to test them as I type this, because hers is not function properly. She is up at the shop right now and I have answered the phone 3 time in the last 15 min. walking her through stuff.:rockin:

Here it is on the way out...and her cutting the ring ridges off in perpetration of pulling the pistons out in the second photo...none of it is any harder then making beer actually...just a lot dirtier ;)

That's awesome. Looks like you've got a nice setup there. I hope to be doing this when I retire in a few years.

That's awesome. Looks like you've got a nice setup there. I hope to be doing this when I retire in a few years.

Thanks Bud...My shop is only about 1/2 way to where I want it to be, but its getting there...Being self employed I get to buy some stuff most guys wife's would question or dig their heels in over. I just buy it and call it a business necessity..:ban:
Every guy needs a shop of some sort IMO. Here's to you getting your's :tank:

Maybe he was also posting in the distilling forum and entered a post into the wrong browser tab? I don't know much about distilling, but I think "run" is a term they use.

Anyway, I have a decent amount of basic tools and enjoy having them as it makes fixing a number of things way easier, and I like being handy, it's easier than trying to be handsome.

Maybe he was also posting in the distilling forum and entered a post into the wrong browser tab? I don't know much about distilling, but I think "run" is a term they use.

Anyway, I have a decent amount of basic tools and enjoy having them as it makes fixing a number of things way easier, and I like being handy, it's easier than trying to be handsome.

Is that a Red Green quote?

b8ae3626a51cd0f137190480e76deaf5.jpg

Back