I got a Bad one... what to do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GweedoeBrew

Reaction score
South of Boston, By way of West Virginia!!
So I tried to brew a Dubble... and between me letting the fermentation temp get to high (like 76-78) and then I over oaked it... it kinda taste like chewing on a rubber carboy stopper!!!

It is carbonated in a keg... I am trying to decide if I should get some Brett and pitch it in the keg... but I have a few questions.

1. how do I put an airlock or something on the keg after I pitch the Brett.

2. What do you recommend for Brett Yeast

3. How long should it sit on the Brett...

4. Is this really going to help anything??? Or am I just swinging at Unicorns!!!

Gweedoe

If you say it tastes rubbery, then I must ask you if you have chloramines in your water, and if so did you remove them prior to brewing? Rubber makes me think of chlorophenols, and not of over oaking. If you did over oak, it might be best just to leave it for a while and come back to it in a few months.

I think your swinging at unicorns. If you have a nasty beer adding bret will not make it magically better.

I think your best bet is to let it sit for a long long time. Given enough age the oak, esters and hot alcohols will break down. It may never be a great beer but it could age into something drinkable.

Back